Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Marty

Default Powcon 300 st

I have just purchaced a powcon 300st welder of ebay. It was not wired for
220V but 575 3phase. From the google searches I did I thought it could be
converted to 220 following Ian M's instructions. Alas when i opend the unit
to make the conversion I couldn't find the 4 studs with busses to make the
conversion. Am I screwed? I am trying to contact arccon and arc products
but i am hoping for some info via the group wisdom. I have done google
searches but without much luck.

Thanks in advance.

Marty

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
GreenGas

"Marty" wrote in message
I have just purchaced a powcon 300st welder of ebay. It was not wired for
220V but 575 3phase. From the google searches I did I thought it could be
converted to 220 following Ian M's instructions. Alas when i opend the
unit
to make the conversion I couldn't find the 4 studs with busses to make the
conversion. Am I screwed? I am trying to contact arccon and arc products
but i am hoping for some info via the group wisdom. I have done google
searches but without much luck.

Thanks in advance.

Marty

Unfortunately, Ian doesn't work there anymore. I have no idea where he went.
Can you post photos of the rig, inside? If I could see the rig's guts, I can
tell you where the voltage changeover should be.
r/
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Marty

I'll try to get pictures is the newsgroup the best place to post them? I
don't want to eat people's bandwidth.
Marty
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 03:14:59 GMT, Marty wrote:
I'll try to get pictures is the newsgroup the best place to post them? I
don't want to eat people's bandwidth.

Send 'em to me by email, I'll put them up on a webpage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
russell shigeoka

Maybe your screwed, not sure. I have a PowCon MST 300 230/460. The
manual says the for my model there are 3 input voltages available,
230/460, 380, and 575. To change my input voltage i needed to open the
welder by splitting open the shell and then there is a circuit board
that needs to be flip upside down 180deg and then rearrange the 4
studs.

I scanned the relevant page and put it here. Sorry didnt have time to
shrink it down, about 1.25megs. It's not going to be up long. email
me if you want it sent directly.

Aloha, Russell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
russell shigeoka

Maybe your screwed, not sure. I have a PowCon MST 300 230/460. The
manual says the for my model there are 3 input voltages available,
230/460, 380, and 575. To change my input voltage i needed to open the
welder by splitting open the shell and then there is a circuit board
that needs to be flip upside down 180deg and then rearrange the 4
studs.

I scanned the relevant page and put it here. Sorry didnt have time to
shrink it down, about 1.25megs. It's not going to be up long. email
me if you want it sent directly.

http://tinyurl.com/dcnch

Aloha, Russell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Koz

russell shigeoka wrote:

Maybe your screwed, not sure. I have a PowCon MST 300 230/460. The
manual says the for my model there are 3 input voltages available,
230/460, 380, and 575. To change my input voltage i needed to open the
welder by splitting open the shell and then there is a circuit board
that needs to be flip upside down 180deg and then rearrange the 4
studs.

I scanned the relevant page and put it here. Sorry didnt have time to
shrink it down, about 1.25megs. It's not going to be up long. email
me if you want it sent directly.

Aloha, Russell

And note that on my 400 SMT it takes removing 35 screws and replacing
them to change that voltage. Big pain in the arse and not something you
want to be doing on a day to day basis. DON'T do it in the field unless
you have no other choice. Nothing worse than droppin one of those tiny
circuit board screws into the works and having to fish it out with bad
light while the clock is ticking.

Koz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Marty

Thanks much for the scan. I am a bit confuse as to wheter the 4 studs are
on the cucuit board or are the 4 plastic mounted studs towards the front of
the case.
Junior Member

I feel for you dude, but I think you are out of luck. Powcon did make multi-voltage units that can be configured for 460/230. But they also made single voltage units. I believe the 575V is single voltage. If you were electronics savy, you could convert it to 230V with some changes but even then it would probably not be worth while. This is possible because the powcons use a center tapped transformer that will work with multi voltage if connected properly. But then the input caps, the high freq caps, the fan, and maybe even the circuit breaker will need to be replaced or reconfigured. If you go to the ARCON website you can download their 300SS user manual that has schematics for the different voltage versions.

My advice, re-list it on ebay and try again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty