DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   I welded aluminum today (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/133184-i-welded-aluminum-today.html)

Gunner Asch November 28th 05 08:49 AM

I welded aluminum today

The rear window/frame on my pickup trucks shell is about 15 or so
years old and is getting tired. The aluminum hinge/frame was starting
a crack along the hinge assembly, and is composed of a chunk of L
aluminum, about 1/16" thick.

Not having any aluminum of the proper type on hand, Ive been pondering
this for a couple weeks, and have been waiting for the entire
window/hatch to fall off on the freeway....cringe.

So today..in an insane moment of bravado and balls..I decided to TIG
weld up the 12" long crack, and also reinforce other weak areas.

So I drug the ground, tig torch, foot pedal and stainless steel brush
over to the now backed intotheweldingarea pickem up truck..and thought
about how to proceed. The crack was only acessable with the hatch
open, and then from underneith. This meant I had to overhead weld the
dreaded aluminum thin stuff...GACK!!!!! OMGODthisisgonna be a
bitch..and it was.

I fired up the Airco Squarewave 300, rounded a 3/32 2% lanthanated
electrode (per Ernie) on a chunk of stainless steel, Electrode
positive, then switched to AC, scrubbed the snot out of the aluminum
with a SS wire brush..then pondered the first problem...foot pedal.

The only way I could reach the crack, was sitting tailor fashion on
the tailgate, facing the front of the truck and working overhead. No
way to push the pedal..so I put it under my left thigh, and could push
by moving my leg a bit. This of course lead to serious leg
cramps..zapping myself with the HV at least once..sigh.

The frame was insulated from truck ground by the fiberglass of the
shell, so I didnt have to worry about zapping the computer etc..which
was a small blessing.

I started the arc..and started heating the aluminum..and found the
current wasnt high enough, so I set it up for max 125 amps, with start
current of 30%..made the best guess at the balance, backround and
pulse, then assumed the position again..and again got a
cramp..resulting in a flinch..sticking the electrode to the
frame...sigh.. resharpening..I tried it again..

Pressing down with my leg..I could see the aluminum start to melt..and
I fed in a little aluminum filler..which balled up, and fell onto my
crotch. I could smell jeans burning...as I instantly fell off the
tailgate in a desperate struggle to protect the family jewels. Now Im
upside down, wrapped in ground cable, tig hose, the foot pedal teeters
on the tailgate..then falls on my crotch. What the hot dingleberry
didnt scorch..the pedal crushed.

Sigh...

Getting out my leather apron (hindsight is 2020)..I reassumed the
position again..but a bit more gingerly...I fired up the arc
again..this time waiting for the base metal to start to go all
silvery, then gently dabbed the filler into the silver puddle...

SOB...it melted into the puddle..and stayed there...**** me
running..its working!!! Im welding Im welding! Buawahahahhaha!

Paying close attention..I managed to run at least 10" of the 12" with
a clean, neat bead. Not stack of dimes..but still nice (for me). Then
I got a leg cramp, stuck the electrode into the puddle..filled the
entire cup of the torch with melted aluminum and fell off the tailgate
again as the cup exploded, raining hot **** all over me..including
under my mask, down my neck. But my crotch was protected!!!!

Sigh.....

Brush off the singed chest hair, installed a new cup, regrind of the
electrode, reposition, scrub vigorously with the brush again, fire up
the arc, and finish the weld in a pretty matter of fact
fashion..forgetting of course to creep up on the end of the
material..and melting the last 1/4" completly, down into the cup of my
torch again..which fortunately didnt explode this time.

Well Ill be damned..I actually overhead welded aluminum. Mostly. Had
some icicles hanging, there at the end of the weld..which I took care
of with a 4 flute 1/4" endmill in an air die grinder..worked really
slick.

If Id been smart..and had a helper, I should have taken the 30 minutes
to pull the shell off the truck, and turned it over..but hey..Ive been
called a lot of things..but never smart..and there wasnt a helper
handy.

Now I can reeeeely understand the utility value of one of those torch
mounted controls and why spool guns are so popular. I have a mig..but
not the proper liner etc etc though I do have several spools of
aluminum mig wire (which I was using for filler.)

But Im totally tickled..Ive gone from Daubers Helper, to Daubers
Apprentice 1.

Maybe an old dog can learn new tricks.

This just opened up a whole new can of worms for me..now that I can
melt aluminum together. Sorta. Kinda. A little. Somewhat......

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

daniel peterman November 28th 05 09:50 AM

I welded aluminum today

I must say that was one of the best bits of spontaneous writing I have
ever witnessed. 2 thumbs up and I actually still have 2 thumbs
You are one clever feller and a crafty wordsmith and a smith in the
other sense.
Have a happy life.
Melt some aluminum for all of us.
Hey it's fun and the most abundant element on earth so why not melt
it,.?
The earth is gonna do it anyway....

John Husvar November 28th 05 01:22 PM

I welded aluminum today

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

The rear window/frame on my pickup trucks shell is about 15 or so
years old and is getting tired. The aluminum hinge/frame was starting
a crack along the hinge assembly, and is composed of a chunk of L
aluminum, about 1/16" thick.

One heckuva story, Gunner! Well done!

doo November 28th 05 03:00 PM

I welded aluminum today

Gunner Asch wrote:
Pressing down with my leg..I could see the aluminum start to melt..and
I fed in a little aluminum filler..which balled up, and fell onto my
crotch. I could smell jeans burning...as I instantly fell off the
tailgate in a desperate struggle to protect the family jewels. Now Im
upside down, wrapped in ground cable, tig hose, the foot pedal teeters
on the tailgate..then falls on my crotch. What the hot dingleberry
didnt scorch..the pedal crushed.

Didn't the cats applaud and hold up little signs like 7.9, 8.0, 7.8,
8.4, 8.2 ?

Ron

Ron Moore November 28th 05 03:45 PM

I welded aluminum today

Gunner,
I've been wanting to try my hand at welding aluminum for a while now.
Haven't really had a need to, but just something a person so led has to try.
Just ask you. Now, with all your encouragement, I think I can .........
wait a little while longer. I'll have to wait a little bit, anyway.
Everytime I'd start, your story would come to mind and I wouldn't be able to
hold the torch steady for laughing so hard. Great tale. Somewhere twixt
Twain and O'Henry.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Jim Stewart November 28th 05 05:55 PM

I welded aluminum today

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Definitely a rcm classic. Thanks for
writing it out...

Leo Lichtman November 28th 05 06:19 PM

I welded aluminum today

"Jim Stewart" wrote: Definitely a rcm classic. Thanks for writing it
out...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gunner, if any of this is made-up, you lose some points, but gain them back
for imagination.

BTW, this is an example of why I haven't "plonked" you, in spite of the vast
difference in our social and political outlooks. That, and the fact that I
am also a cat lover.

Wayne Cook November 28th 05 06:35 PM

I welded aluminum today

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:49:49 GMT, Gunner Asch
wrote:

snip a good story

What's so sad about this is how close to home this comes. I spent a
whole day under a belly dump grain trailer a while back dodging hot
balls of aluminum. I definitely wasn't in a good enough mood to write
something like that when I got out.

As for the foot pedal thing I know where you're coming from there as
well. I got a hose reel for my torch the other day and while I was
putting the handle on I dropped a screw. I went to the floor trying to
find it in all the junk that had collected up under my temporary table
(I guess it's temporary, I've not managed to get it out of the shop
for a few months now). I was down there minding my own business
hunting for the screw when the outlaw hose reel decided to try and do
me in. It rolled off the table hit me in the head and then proceeded
to try to break my thumb. Reeling from the double blow it took me a
few minutes to recover and figure out what happened.

I fixed it though. I quickly bolted it down in lockup on the side of
my welder. I figure its in there for life. ;-)

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Gunner Asch November 28th 05 06:46 PM

I welded aluminum today

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:12:47 GMT, Ignoramus4324
wrote:

Outstanding! Does your truck still start? Is all electronics still
working?

Yup..and the window doesnt bobble anymore!! Yay!!

Gunner Asch November 28th 05 06:48 PM

I welded aluminum today

On 28 Nov 2005 07:00:08 -0800, "doo" wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
Pressing down with my leg..I could see the aluminum start to melt..and
I fed in a little aluminum filler..which balled up, and fell onto my
crotch. I could smell jeans burning...as I instantly fell off the
tailgate in a desperate struggle to protect the family jewels. Now Im
upside down, wrapped in ground cable, tig hose, the foot pedal teeters
on the tailgate..then falls on my crotch. What the hot dingleberry
didnt scorch..the pedal crushed.

Didn't the cats applaud and hold up little signs like 7.9, 8.0, 7.8,
8.4, 8.2 ?

Ron

Cats? You evidently dont have cats...

The best they will do is a mildly disinterested glance..followed by
some tounge grooming, a yawn and several hours of sleep.
Maybe..just maybe...a tail flick to indicate approval..if you are
lucky.

Not exactly an interested audience G

Donnie Barnes November 28th 05 06:54 PM

I welded aluminum today

On Mon, 28 Nov, Gunner Asch wrote:
[ snip ]

Thanks for that. Closest I've come to something like this was when I
decided to weld while wearing sneakers with mesh over the toe area. A
piece of slag flew and went right through the mesh, right through my thin
cotton sock, and lodged in between two toes. I was hopping around pretty
wildly for a bit.

Gunner, consider wearing a cup for all overhead welding operations from now
on. :-)

--Donnie

Fred R November 28th 05 07:33 PM

I welded aluminum today

Gunner Asch wrote: a hilarious story about welding

Gunner, that was great! Although I'm surprised you didn't just chuck the
truck in the 4-jaw of your 80"x264" lathe and turn it over to do the
welding. (Not that I'm envious of your Stuff collection or anything ...)

I sent the story to my daughter in college, cheered her up before
finals. Thanks.
--
Fred R
________________

Martin Evans November 28th 05 08:22 PM

I welded aluminum today

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

They have probably seen it all before :-)

Great story btw, been there done some of it!

Steve Walker November 28th 05 09:21 PM

I welded aluminum today

Gunner Asch wrote:
SNIP

[...]

Damn!!! Years of being careful & I finally snarfed coffee on the
keyboard (& my lap warmer. She still has claws, as my leg can attest).
Great story, Gunner.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)

Gunner Asch November 28th 05 09:28 PM

I welded aluminum today

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:19:12 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote: Definitely a rcm classic. Thanks for writing it
out...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gunner, if any of this is made-up, you lose some points, but gain them back
for imagination.

BTW, this is an example of why I haven't "plonked" you, in spite of the vast
difference in our social and political outlooks. That, and the fact that I
am also a cat lover.

Actually all true.
Im all too often laughing at my own screw ups..which may be a good
mental health thing..but like learning from your mistakes..it only
teaches you when to cringe the next time....

Pete C. November 28th 05 09:30 PM

I welded aluminum today

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Hell of a story, next time you try something new setup the video camera
first. If there is still a home video program running somewhere you
might be able to buy some new gear with the winnings.

I tried to weld aluminum this past weekend... Unfortunately the power
situation in my shop sucks and all I did was trip the breaker. I get
away with it for welding in 1/8" steel, but 1/4" AL just needs too much
power. I've really got to upgrade the feed and panels.

Pete C.

Larry Jaques November 28th 05 11:33 PM

I welded aluminum today

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 01:50:23 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
(daniel peterman) quickly quoth:

I must say that was one of the best bits of spontaneous writing I have
ever witnessed. 2 thumbs up and I actually still have 2 thumbs

I had just read his immigration post and thought this sounded
familiar. Eet felt of the Mexican jumping beans, es verdad!
Sounds like he needs to wear a -cup- when he overhead welds, huh?

You are one clever feller and a crafty wordsmith and a smith in the
other sense.
Have a happy life.
Melt some aluminum for all of us.
Hey it's fun and the most abundant element on earth so why not melt
it,.?
The earth is gonna do it anyway....

Yeah, especially with all this horrible GLOBAL WARMING stuff.
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! ;)

---
- Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -
http://diversify.com Web Applications

Martin H. Eastburn November 29th 05 01:59 AM

I welded aluminum today

Way to go Gunner - more than one Yahoo for you and I bet you said it more
than once. (other words deleted for the light hearted) :-)

Working away on my CNC plasma system - tons of cutting - cut 31 panthers
out at 2.5 seconds each. Ripping speed. In 7075-T6 Al naturally.

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Martin H. Eastburn November 29th 05 02:09 AM

I welded aluminum today

Sounds like SANTA needs to find a pith helmet or a hard hat for Wayne
and a torch handle thumb wheel to replace the foot pedal!

Big E as I was once called in my younger years has both! Find the helmet hard
to wear cutting trees or working in the shop. Standing around like a pit boss
is fun.

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Peter Grey November 29th 05 02:25 AM

I welded aluminum today

"Donnie Barnes" wrote in message
main...
Gunner, consider wearing a cup for all overhead welding operations from
now
on. :-)

Would he need a leather cup? If so, I think he's going to need to come up
to San Francisco to get one. I think his only choice is likely to be black
leather with studs on it. I'm not sure I'd want to be around when he suits
up for welding...

Yesterday I needed to TIG a couple of small pieces together and did it with
my latex gloves on. Of course I grabbed the hot end of the filler rod with
my torch hand in order to move a piece with my filler rod hand. I doubt I
looked as dramatic as Gunner, but I'm betting we said some of the same
words.

Peter

daniel peterman November 29th 05 03:04 AM

I welded aluminum today

I think I better make a double sided half dollar now.
Prolly start with a penny and work my up
Gotta search the couch
Oh here it is.
i alredy have one
no wait... it's a pocket watch
looked like a coin fer a moment
don't we all look like coins fer a moment?
A phrase well coined will surely brighten someone.... and is that not
what we are here for essentialy?
Thank you all for the wisdom you have shared and letting me spew this
utter nonsense occasionaly.
Go commit some building on someones life. Gravity gets in the way.
A wise woman once said...
well, I can't think of a wise woman right now
hasta la vista
danny

Vernon November 29th 05 03:24 AM

I welded aluminum today

The only way I could reach the crack, was sitting tailor fashion on
the tailgate, facing the front of the truck and working overhead...

Gunner,

Congratulations. You've found a position not mentioned in the Kama
Sutra.

ohm padme padme hum... ohm padme padme hum

VT

[email protected] November 29th 05 03:43 AM

I welded aluminum today

BTW, this is an example of why I haven't "plonked" you, in spite of
the vast
difference in our social and political outlooks. That, and the fact
that I
am also a cat lover.

I am convinced that this group is what God envisioned when Man wrote
"diversity" into the law!

Unfortunately, Man didn't grasp the concept...

But this is my all-time favorite newsgroup... except when somebody
tells me I'll get sued to Ruwanda for putting up a building with
salvage trusses....

This welding asylum reminds me of that country western song "I love
this bar".

Gentlemen, start your welders!

Vernon

Sunworshipper November 29th 05 03:49 AM

I welded aluminum today

wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote: Definitely a rcm classic. Thanks for writing it
out...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gunner, if any of this is made-up, you lose some points, but gain them back
for imagination.

BTW, this is an example of why I haven't "plonked" you, in spite of the vast
difference in our social and political outlooks. That, and the fact that I
am also a cat lover.

Actually all true.
Im all too often laughing at my own screw ups..which may be a good
mental health thing..but like learning from your mistakes..it only
teaches you when to cringe the next time....

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

LOL, me also.

Many, if not most times I have no helper and things can get down right
unforgettable. Onward through the fog comes to mind.

doo November 29th 05 04:46 AM

I welded aluminum today

Cats? You evidently dont have cats...

Yep, got cats... 4 of 'em.

For some reason though, Monty Python's Confuse-A-Cat skit came to mind
when I read your post..LOL.

And reminds me of the time a co-worker was TIGging a part, went to
reposition the part, and sat the torch in his lap, accidentally hit the
pedal...YEP, zapped him right on the 'lil fireman!
Youch! Funny thing to have to explain/show the company nurse.

Ron

Gunner Asch November 29th 05 05:24 AM

I welded aluminum today

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 02:25:33 GMT, "Peter Grey"
wrote:

"Donnie Barnes" wrote in message
omain...
Gunner, consider wearing a cup for all overhead welding operations from
now
on. :-)

Would he need a leather cup? If so, I think he's going to need to come up
to San Francisco to get one. I think his only choice is likely to be black
leather with studs on it. I'm not sure I'd want to be around when he suits
up for welding...

Im closer to West Hollywood. Where barbed wire and dog collars are
considered Marital Aids.....

I wonder how many here have seen a 400lbs fellow in minimal leather
attire, on a leash, held by a 5'2", 100 lb minimally leather attired
androgenous woman/guy.

West Hollywood..got to love it if you are secure in your pyche..will
run screaming from it if you are sheltered....

Yesterday I needed to TIG a couple of small pieces together and did it with
my latex gloves on. Of course I grabbed the hot end of the filler rod with
my torch hand in order to move a piece with my filler rod hand. I doubt I
looked as dramatic as Gunner, but I'm betting we said some of the same
words.

Peter

Indeed. My little submission was heavily ediited as befits a family
group. Id exhausted most of my Anglo-Saxon adjetives, was well into
the ones from SEA, interspersed with the Germanic ones. seasoned with
Finnish ones...

Sigh.....its always funnier after the fact.....

Ernie Leimkuhler November 29th 05 06:12 AM

I welded aluminum today

Gunner, congrats, and thanks for the laughs.
I know the pain of which you speak, hence why I can laugh about it

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams

Don Foreman November 29th 05 07:17 AM

I welded aluminum today

wrote:

But Im totally tickled..Ive gone from Daubers Helper, to Daubers
Apprentice 1.

Maybe an old dog can learn new tricks.

Damn betcha. When the ol' dawg can't learn new tricks it's end game.
Keep a round in the spout in case you're unlucky enough not to check
out sooner.

Gunner Asch November 29th 05 10:28 AM

I welded aluminum today

wrote:

But Im totally tickled..Ive gone from Daubers Helper, to Daubers
Apprentice 1.

Maybe an old dog can learn new tricks.

Damn betcha. When the ol' dawg can't learn new tricks it's end game.
Keep a round in the spout in case you're unlucky enough not to check
out sooner.

My living will is quite specific on that issue. The day I stop
learning is the day before they kick dirt over my box.

Ken Sterling November 29th 05 11:28 AM

I welded aluminum today

wrote:

Outstanding! Does your truck still start? Is all electronics still
working?

Yup..and the window doesnt bobble anymore!! Yay!!

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

TeeHee... just don't mount any spare tires to it.... G
Ken.

daniel peterman November 29th 05 02:09 PM

I welded aluminum today

Now this leads to to the question...
Can you teach a cat to weld?
Will their little paws actually hold the tig torch?
They have the sight definition but can you get an auto dark helmet for a
cat?
Why build robots when we already have cats?
Something to ponder....

Dave Lyon November 29th 05 03:07 PM

I welded aluminum today

wrote:

snip a good story

What's so sad about this is how close to home this comes. I spent a
whole day under a belly dump grain trailer a while back dodging hot
balls of aluminum. I definitely wasn't in a good enough mood to write
something like that when I got out.

For me it's my new pet project. I'm building a tank for use in paintball
games. I'm not near good enough with a tig to tackle aluminum, but I still
get into some interesting predicaments trying to weld at different angles
and still reach the pedal.

Dave Lyon November 29th 05 03:48 PM

I welded aluminum today

Are you talking about an armored tank that moves on tracks, or a tank
for air?

If it is the former, I can sell you some 3/16" tungsten electrodes to
make paintballs that would penetrate aluminum tanks. :)

I'm talking about an armored tank that moves on tracks . Except it's really
more of an armored security vehicle modeled after the m1117 guardian.
This is the 2nd one I've built. The first one looks a bit like a box on
wheels although it does have twin axles with duel tires in the back. :) It
sports a 3" main gun operating from CO2. It shoots 90 paintballs per shot.

My new one is going to be more realistic looking if I ever get the time to
finish it. It will have a semi auto main gun shooting foam "darts" of my own
design. It will also have a 2400 round per minute chain gun shooting
standard paintballs.

As for your Armour piercing tungsten, I think I better pass. I've made a
number of paintball "weapons" the most challenging part by far is making
something that won't actually hurt somebody. :)

Larry Jaques November 29th 05 04:01 PM

I welded aluminum today

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 02:25:33 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Peter
Grey" quickly quoth:

I said:
Gunner, consider wearing a cup for all overhead welding operations from
now
on. :-)

Would he need a leather cup? If so, I think he's going to need to come up
to San Francisco to get one. I think his only choice is likely to be black
leather with studs on it. I'm not sure I'd want to be around when he suits
up for welding...

Ditto the "somewhere else" feeling. g No, I meant a fiberglass cup
so when the foot pedal hits him the next time...
bseg

I learned my lesson and got a HF leather apron before trying to weld
the plate to my truck frame. I still need to get that done and will
have to grind more of a miter on the thick angle iron section before
doing so. But it has to stop raining before that. I don't want to be a
nice ground for a stick welder, knowwhatimean,vern?

Yesterday I needed to TIG a couple of small pieces together and did it with
my latex gloves on. Of course I grabbed the hot end of the filler rod with
my torch hand in order to move a piece with my filler rod hand. I doubt I
looked as dramatic as Gunner, but I'm betting we said some of the same
words.

No doubt.

I had a visit from the UPS guy last night in the dark. I ordered the
$4 (delivered!) Miller welding calculator set. It'll be really handy!

---

Gunner Asch November 29th 05 05:56 PM

I welded aluminum today

wrote:

Outstanding! Does your truck still start? Is all electronics still
working?

Yup..and the window doesnt bobble anymore!! Yay!!

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

TeeHee... just don't mount any spare tires to it.... G
Ken.

LOL...blush. After rebuilding the new spare tire carrier..and properly
welding it using something other than a HF Mig..so far its held up
nicely for about 80,000 miles.

[email protected] November 29th 05 11:48 PM

I welded aluminum today

Gunner, you get 3 chuckles out of a maximum of 3. Been there, done
that. But not nearly quite the way you describe, although I have used
every extrimety of my body and every possible possition known to man
and God to squeeze my foot pedal together at one time or another.
Still chuckling.
Bill

MetalHead November 30th 05 12:30 AM

I welded aluminum today

Gunner Asch wrote:
So today..in an insane moment of bravado and balls..I decided to TIG
weld up the 12" long crack, and also reinforce other weak areas.

Congrats on the welding and a funny story! I had to clean a fair amount
of my morning Pepsi off my shirt and monitor/keyboard from laughing at
the wrong time.

I have seen Nomex lined caps and Nomex lined gloves, I have not seen a
Nomex lined codpiece. It might be marketable!

I have had similar experiences with very "out of position" tig welding
myself, including setting my jeans on fire.

Keep laughing,
Bob

Larry Jaques November 30th 05 01:02 AM

I welded aluminum today

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:56:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
Asch quickly quoth:

LOL...blush. After rebuilding the new spare tire carrier..and properly
welding it using something other than a HF Mig..so far its held up
nicely for about 80,000 miles.

OhmyBuddha! You've put 80k miles on since posting that a year or two
ago, Gunner? Amazing.

P.S: Congrats on your newly-found non-lethal welding skills. ;)

---

David Todtman November 30th 05 11:34 PM

I welded aluminum today

Terrific story. Yes, for an old dog burnt up chest hairs are acceptable
damage. But them jewels? Nope. Otherwise, a person would never try
something dumb.
ciao,
David Todtman