Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which cutting oil should I use for 1018??

A while back I was having problems with trying to turn 1018 on our old
B+S screw machine. I'm trying to change over to 1018 from 12L14 which
is quit a bit more expensive. I'm lookin for reconmendations as to
which oil to buy. In MSC they had the heavy duty and medium duty oil.
I'm making #6, #8 screws from 3/8 bar stock and have to turn the dia
back two inches.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote in message
oups.com...
A while back I was having problems with trying to turn 1018 on our old
B+S screw machine. I'm trying to change over to 1018 from 12L14 which
is quit a bit more expensive. I'm lookin for reconmendations as to
which oil to buy. In MSC they had the heavy duty and medium duty oil.
I'm making #6, #8 screws from 3/8 bar stock and have to turn the dia
back two inches.

I'd suggest a sulfur based oil, but you're not going to like turning 1018
after using 12L14, and it won't matter what you use for lubrication. .
Anything you save in material costs is going to come out of you in
frustration unless surface finish (tearing) isn't a concern.

You might be wise to investigate other free machining materials, such as
1117, or 11L17, especially if your purpose in abandoning 12L14 was to
improve on mechanical properties. Both of these grades can be carburized,
and are suited to screw machine application.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

but you're not going to like turning 1018
after using 12L14, and it won't matter what you use for lubrication. .

Anything you save in material costs is going to come out of you in
frustration unless surface finish (tearing) isn't a concern.

You might be wise to investigate other free machining materials, such
as
1117, or 11L17, especially if your purpose in abandoning 12L14 was to
improve on mechanical properties.

We are wanting to change over to 1018 because of cost. ANd I'm
learning all about this frustation. I spent 2 and 1/2 days trying to
get it to work with our soluble oil before I gave up

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote in message
oups.com...
but you're not going to like turning 1018
after using 12L14, and it won't matter what you use for lubrication. .

Anything you save in material costs is going to come out of you in
frustration unless surface finish (tearing) isn't a concern.

You might be wise to investigate other free machining materials, such
as
1117, or 11L17, especially if your purpose in abandoning 12L14 was to
improve on mechanical properties.

We are wanting to change over to 1018 because of cost. ANd I'm
learning all about this frustation. I spent 2 and 1/2 days trying to
get it to work with our soluble oil before I gave up

Damned shame, but I'm not surprised. Folks like to think of mild steel as
what they should be machining. Truth be told, I'll take 303 SS over mild
steel anytime, and produce better looking parts faster and more precisely.
Surface finish problems are almost non-existent. Mild steel is nothing
short of a bitch to machine-------which my many years in the shop has
confirmed over and over (and over). g

I apologize for suggesting you were looking for reasons different from those
you suggested. I got caught up in the moment, but had read and understood
your reason for switching. Could be the materials I mentioned are more
affordable than 12L14, dunno, but it would be wise to investigate. More or
less anything to get away from 1018 as I see it.

Luck, and let us know what you learn.

Harold

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
A while back I was having problems with trying to turn 1018 on our old
B+S screw machine. I'm trying to change over to 1018 from 12L14 which
is quit a bit more expensive. I'm lookin for reconmendations as to
which oil to buy. In MSC they had the heavy duty and medium duty oil.
I'm making #6, #8 screws from 3/8 bar stock and have to turn the dia
back two inches.
make a 50-50 mix of regular cutting oil (pale oil) and diesel oil-that mix will cut ANYTHING!

cutting board John Grossbohlin Woodworking 12 September 24th 04 12:12 AM
Painting a room...cutting in Jo UK diy 2 September 21st 04 07:03 AM
Basics on Depth of Cuts Chris S Metalworking 10 September 2nd 03 03:15 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM