Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

Default OT - Strokes

[
This was sent to me today by a friend - it may help save the live of
someone you love... I think I sent it out before, but I'm sending it
again just in case I didn't (& it doesn't hurt to be reminded of the
steps again).

Dear Friends-

My parents had dinner this summer with a dear friend. During the BBQ
their friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone
that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and just tripped
over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got
her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid
went about enjoying herself the rest of
the evening.

At 3:00 am my mother received a call from Ingrid's husband telling her
that his wife had been taken to the hospital - at 6:00 pm Ingrid
passed away. She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ - had they known how
to identify the signs of a stroke perhaps Ingrid would be with us
today.

It only takes a minute to read this-

--- A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within
3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He
said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed and getting
to the patient within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps. Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify.
Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke
victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize
the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three
simple questions:

1. *Ask the individual to SMILE.

2. *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

3. *Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. . .
It
is sunny out today) If he or she has trouble with any of these
tasks, call
9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

After discovering that a group of non-medical volunteers could
identify facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems,
researchers urged the general public to learn the three questions.
They presented their conclusions at the American Stroke Association's
annual meeting last February. Widespread use of this test could result
in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent brain
damage. BE A FRIEND AND SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH AS MANY FRIENDS AS
POSSIBLE, you could save their lives or the lives of people they care
about.
]

#3 usually poses a probelm for wingers anyway .... remember
that bush character?
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

After my mom recovered from one - she called me to say she was ok after all -
(out of town and our first indication !)

She said the doctor asked her all of the addresses she lived at since she
got married - (more than I could say street numbers...) kids names and birthdays,
..... the list was so extensive that I wonder if the Dr. could. He must have
been testing a wide range of mental abilities. So be prepared!

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

[

#3 usually poses a probelm for wingers anyway .... remember
that bush character?

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Strider

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:15:17 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

After my mom recovered from one - she called me to say she was ok after all -
(out of town and our first indication !)

She said the doctor asked her all of the addresses she lived at since she
got married - (more than I could say street numbers...) kids names and birthdays,
.... the list was so extensive that I wonder if the Dr. could. He must have
been testing a wide range of mental abilities. So be prepared!

So, you want me to prepare for a post stroke questionnaire, designed
to asses my remaining mental capacity after some portion of my brain
has been killed?

You are truly a candidate for "Troll of the Year".

My commendation.

Strider

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

[

#3 usually poses a probelm for wingers anyway .... remember
that bush character?

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

After my mom recovered from one - she called me to say she was ok after all -
(out of town and our first indication !)

She said the doctor asked her all of the addresses she lived at since she
got married - (more than I could say street numbers...) kids names and birthdays,
.... the list was so extensive that I wonder if the Dr. could. He must have
been testing a wide range of mental abilities. So be prepared!

So, you want me to prepare for a post stroke questionnaire, designed
to asses my remaining mental capacity after some portion of my brain
has been killed?

You are truly a candidate for "Troll of the Year".

My commendation.

Strider

The thing is, Strider..if you get to medical care in those 3
hours...damned little of the brain can be damaged. My neighbor is a
prime example. His wife suspected a stroke...got him in..big
clot...and he is better today than he was before the stroke. They
found some arterial blockage..including one in his neck which was the
one that busted off a chunk and got into his brain. They did their
magic..and he is just hunky dorey

Gunner

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

[

#3 usually poses a probelm for wingers anyway .... remember
that bush character?

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

Not completely true. It depends a LOT on location of the clot. After 8
minutes without O2 brain cells start to die. How many die depends on the
reason for the stroke and what arterioles are affected. Clots and
aneurisms both cause strokes. So can intercranial pressure from certain
infections and concussion damage. Recognizing the problem can be VERY
difficult because different areas of the brain can cause different
signs. Some of those are easy to see, others don't show up without
active questioning or electronic measurements.

Steve

The thing is, Strider..if you get to medical care in those 3
hours...damned little of the brain can be damaged. My neighbor is a
prime example. His wife suspected a stroke...got him in..big
clot...and he is better today than he was before the stroke. They
found some arterial blockage..including one in his neck which was the
one that busted off a chunk and got into his brain. They did their
magic..and he is just hunky dorey

Gunner

Martin
Martin Eastburn
@ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated

dot net
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Cliff wrote:
[
[...]

.. .

#3 usually poses a probelm for wingers anyway .... remember
that bush character?

Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via

Encryption =----

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Collins

Steve W. wrote:
Not completely true. It depends a LOT on location of the clot. After 8
minutes without O2 brain cells start to die.

Correct, but given that humans only use a minor percentage of their
brain, the chances of any significant brain damage occuring is very
minor {:-).

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

wrote:

After my mom recovered from one - she called me to say she was ok after all -
(out of town and our first indication !)

She said the doctor asked her all of the addresses she lived at since she
got married - (more than I could say street numbers...) kids names and birthdays,
.... the list was so extensive that I wonder if the Dr. could. He must have
been testing a wide range of mental abilities. So be prepared!

We could solve a lot of problems by asking wingers a few
questions ....

Q to bush & cheney: Tell us about "WMDs" ....
They'd never get out ....
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Searcher1

Qualifying stroke victims can be given Tissue plasminogen activator (TPa),
which is a powerful clot busting drug. That is why the poster said if
recognized within 3 hours. Yes, brain cells will die, but nothing that will
permanantly affect the person.

Searcher

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:05:51 GMT, "Searcher1"
wrote:

Yes, brain cells will die, but nothing that will
permanantly affect the person.

You don't consider wingers affected?
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:05:51 GMT, the renowned "Searcher1"
wrote:

Qualifying stroke victims can be given Tissue plasminogen activator (TPa),
which is a powerful clot busting drug. That is why the poster said if
recognized within 3 hours. Yes, brain cells will die, but nothing that will
permanantly affect the person.

Searcher

TPa's may bust the clot, OTOH, they may kill the person right off. A
lot of damage is caused by swelling after the stroke. Personally, I'd
rather take the fairly high chance of dying right off (I think it's in
the 20% range, but that's from hazy memory) and recovering 100% rather
than the higher chance of surviving with severe or moderate mental
handicaps (such as aphasia).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

wrote:

Qualifying stroke victims can be given Tissue plasminogen activator (TPa),
which is a powerful clot busting drug. That is why the poster said if
recognized within 3 hours. Yes, brain cells will die, but nothing that will
permanantly affect the person.

Searcher

TPa's may bust the clot, OTOH, they may kill the person right off. A
lot of damage is caused by swelling after the stroke. Personally, I'd
rather take the fairly high chance of dying right off (I think it's in
the 20% range, but that's from hazy memory) and recovering 100% rather
than the higher chance of surviving with severe or moderate mental
handicaps (such as aphasia).

TPa is the wrong thing for a bleeding/non-clot stroke.
Beyond that, the faster you get good treatment the better. It's
very important ..... older people should probably not live
far from a good hospital. One with CAT-scan or NMR I suspect.
Know where to go.
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
The Watcher

wrote:

After my mom recovered from one - she called me to say she was ok after all -
(out of town and our first indication !)

She said the doctor asked her all of the addresses she lived at since she
got married - (more than I could say street numbers...) kids names and birthdays,
.... the list was so extensive that I wonder if the Dr. could. He must have
been testing a wide range of mental abilities. So be prepared!

We could solve a lot of problems by asking wingers a few
questions ....

You could maybe cause one by asking little Cliffie to define exactly what a
"winger" is. :/
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article ,
(The Watcher) wrote:

We could solve a lot of problems by asking wingers a few
questions ....

You could maybe cause one by asking little Cliffie to define exactly what a
"winger" is. :/

....... wityhout looking in the mirror

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Collins

The Watcher wrote:

You could maybe cause one by asking little Cliffie to define exactly what a
"winger" is. :/

That is easy for any true blue aussie. He is the guy that is on the end
of the line out in football ( league, and union). does soccer and aussie
rules also have wingers?

And yeh, you have both. {:-)
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking

Cliff wrote:
[
This was sent to me today by a friend - it may help save the live of
someone you love... I think I sent it out before, but I'm sending it
again just in case I didn't (& it doesn't hurt to be reminded of the
steps again).

Dear Friends-

My parents had dinner this summer with a dear friend. During the BBQ
their friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone
that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and just tripped
over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got
her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid
went about enjoying herself the rest of
the evening.

SNIP

++++++++++++++++++++
Political hits aside, thanks for the information.
It could come in handy someday.

Terry

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
John Scheldroup

Get patient to swallow 5-6 81 mg. baby aspirin it could save your life.

John

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:37:55 -0600, "John Scheldroup"
wrote:

Get patient to swallow 5-6 81 mg. baby aspirin it could save your life.

Or kill a stroke victim that has a burst blood vessel rather than
a clot blockage.
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
John Scheldroup

wrote:

Get patient to swallow 5-6 81 mg. baby aspirin it could save your life.

Or kill a stroke victim that has a burst blood vessel rather than
a clot blockage.
--
Cliff

It's usually clot blockage. Blood vessels you're speaking of, an Aorta ?.
My mother has a fractured hip could not have her hip surgery two years ago
in light of her congestive heart disease and cardiac arrhythmia-tachycardia.
It's funny my own is still pumping after all the early morning tachycardia's,
BTW baby aspirin slow those down too.

John

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

wrote:

Get patient to swallow 5-6 81 mg. baby aspirin it could save your life.

Or kill a stroke victim that has a burst blood vessel rather than
a clot blockage.

It's usually clot blockage. Blood vessels you're speaking of, an Aorta ?.

Hemorrhagic strokes. About 83 percent of all strokes are ischemic
strokes (blockages with clots) but the other 17 percent would be
hemorrhagic.

http://www.bayeraspirin.com/questions/side_effects.htm
[
While the most common side effects associated with aspirin use are GI
related, the majority of these are minor and resolve without medical
intervention. In rare cases, more serious effects, such as bleeding,
have been observed in individuals taking aspirin for extended periods
of time. Even less commonly, hemorrhagic stroke can occur. However,
the benefits of treatment have been shown usually to outweigh the
risks in cases of long-term use to help prevent cardiovascular events
in people at elevated risk for CVD (with FDA recommended doses ranging
from 75-325 mg for MI and 50 mg – 325 mg for recurrent stroke)

A safety review published in the October 2002 issue of Archives of
Internal Medicine, found that less than 1% (41 of 6,000 patients) were
diagnosed with bleeding – and it was not life threatening. More
significantly, there were 18 percent fewer deaths, 20 percent fewer
strokes and 30 percent fewer heart attacks in the people who took
aspirin

Extensive secondary prevention and primary prevention databases
confirm the low occurrence of hemorrhagic stroke; in all five landmark
primary prevention trials, the difference in the percent of patients
experiencing a hemorrhagic stroke (aspirin vs. placebo) did not reach
statistical significance

The American Heart Association and the U.S. Preventive Services Task
Force recommend that doctors consider aspirin therapy for the
prevention of a first heart attack in all individuals at moderate to
high-risk
]

If you have a stroke AND it's a hemorrhagic one taking aspirin
after it may not be a very good idea. Hospital first ASAP I suspect,
if at all possible?

http://www.healingdaily.com/conditio...prevention.htm
[
Taking aspirin isn’t advised during a stroke, because not all strokes
are caused by blood clots. Most strokes are caused by clots, but some
are caused by ruptured blood vessels. Taking aspirin could actually
make these bleeding strokes more severe.
]

HTH
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
John Scheldroup

wrote:

"Cliff" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:37:55 -0600, "John Scheldroup"
wrote:

The Bayer website confirms much of what Gunner and I said.
BTW, Paramedics do use them just as Gunner said, I confirm
that is to be true.

Now as to your website below:

Cliff, Cliff, Cliff, Didn't I tell you to watch out for those snake oil salesman ? chuckle

http://www.healingdaily.com/conditio...va-ph-test.htm

http://www.healingdaily.com/conditio...prevention.htm
[
Taking aspirin isn't advised during a stroke, because not all strokes
are caused by blood clots. Most strokes are caused by clots, but some
are caused by ruptured blood vessels. Taking aspirin could actually
make these bleeding strokes more severe.
]

HTH
--
Cliff

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

Get patient to swallow 5-6 81 mg. baby aspirin it could save your life.

John

It saved my wifes, when she suffered her heart attack, 1.5 hours away
from medical care. At least the cardiac specialist said it did.

Im still not sure if I should be pleased or disappointed......

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
John Scheldroup

wrote:

Get patient to swallow 5-6 81 mg. baby aspirin it could save your life.

John

It saved my wifes, when she suffered her heart attack, 1.5 hours away
from medical care. At least the cardiac specialist said it did.

Im still not sure if I should be pleased or disappointed......

Gunner

http://focus.hms.harvard.edu/2004/Oc...nesthesia.html

Focus
October 15, 2004

Aspirin, it turns out, does not completely block COX-2 from functioning.
"It doesn't kill the enzyme," said Chiang. "It switches the enzyme's activity
from producing pro-inflammatory prostaglandins to making this anti-
inflammatory mediator ATL." Normally, COX-2 in the cells lining blood
vessels produces molecules that are turned into prostaglandins, lipid signals
responsible for inflammation. But aspirin makes a chemical alteration in
COX-2, and the enzyme produces a new molecule that is released by the
cells and taken up by nearby neutrophils, which then produce ATL.
Aspirin is not just blocking inflammation, but actively bringing about its end.

Aspirin was thought to control inflammation only at higher doses, effective
in acute situations, but potentially damaging over the long term. The benefits
of taking a baby aspirin every day were assumed to stem from the medicine's
ability to keep platelets from clumping in blood vessels, thereby helping to
prevent clot-related heart attacks and strokes.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff McCann

John Scheldroup wrote:
Get patient to swallow 5-6 81 mg. baby aspirin it could save your life.

John

No disrespect intended, but someone provided you with some really bad
information. There are two kinds of strokes, occlusive and hemorrhagic.
The former is a constriction of blood flow to brain tissue, and the
latter is bleeding from a weakened or burst blood vessel within the
brain. If you give Aspirin in the latter case, it can seriously worsen
the bleeding within the brain. Stroke-like symptom require rapid
intervention, but not before a physician, preferably a neurologist, has
determined the cause. Your best bet is to just call 911.

However, aspirin can be life-saving and should be given immediately (1
regular strength or 4 "baby" aspirin, about 325mg) if a heart attack is
suspected, and the patient is not allergic to aspirin. This is probably
what your source was thinking of.

Jeff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
John Scheldroup

"Jeff McCann" wrote in message ink.net...
John Scheldroup wrote:
Get patient to swallow 5-6 81 mg. baby aspirin it could save your life.

John

No disrespect intended, but someone provided you with some really bad information.

Nope

Do you practice Transcendental Meditation (TM) ?.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
John Scheldroup

John Scheldroup wrote:
[...]

Citizen's Petition to FDA

Citizen's Petition Backgrounder Advancing Aspirin's Use to Save Lives

Source: http://www.bayeraspirin.com/hp_citizenfda.htm

1998: The secondary prevention labeling was broadened to include
additional uses and doses, and most importantly recognized the benefits
of aspirin to prevent stroke in women.

Use During Acute MI: In the most dramatic of newly approved uses, the
FDA is recognizing aspirin's potential to reduce the risk of death if taken
as soon as a heart attack is suspected as directed by a physician. The FDA
agreed with research that concluded that as little as one-half (162.5 mg)
of a regular-strength aspirin tablet reduces the risk of death by up to 23
percent if administered when a heart attack is suspected and for 30 days
thereafter.

John

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 11:53:35 -0600, "John Scheldroup"
wrote:

Use During Acute MI: In the most dramatic of newly approved uses, the
FDA is recognizing aspirin's potential to reduce the risk of death if taken
as soon as a heart attack is suspected as directed by a physician. The FDA
agreed with research that concluded that as little as one-half (162.5 mg)
of a regular-strength aspirin tablet reduces the risk of death by up to 23
percent if administered when a heart attack is suspected and for 30 days
thereafter.

But not as self-medication when a stroke is suspected.
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Stormin Mormon

How does it save my life if a stroke patient swollows asprin?

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

John Scheldroup wrote:
Get patient to swallow 5-6 81 mg. baby aspirin it could save your life.

John

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
John Scheldroup

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
How does it save my life if a stroke patient swollows asprin?

Oxygen transport.

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/QA/ans...pls_answer_me/

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

John Scheldroup wrote:
Get patient to swallow 5-6 81 mg. baby aspirin it could save your life.

John

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Stormin Mormon

Supposing I'm out with Bill Jones, and he starts having a stroke. He takes a
couple asprin. How does that save Chris Young's life?

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

et...