JWho

Default Metalworking for Dummies Website?

Does anyone know of a site or sites with some general information on various
metalworking techniques, tools and machines?

Thanks,
Rookie

JWho

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
You are there!

Bob Swinney
"JWho" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a site or sites with some general information on
various
metalworking techniques, tools and machines?

Thanks,
Rookie

Yeah, but if I was well equipped, I would get out my "Metalworking for
Dummies - the translation guide" book before I read posts. I can't
understand a bunch of this stuff. I am glad you all do! :-)

mj

JWho wrote:
Does anyone know of a site or sites with some general information on various
metalworking techniques, tools and machines?

Thanks,
Rookie

Try this site too:

www.metalmeet.com

I haven't found anything better than metalmeet and RCM.
Mike

JWho

"mj" wrote in message
oups.com...

JWho wrote:
Does anyone know of a site or sites with some general information on

various
metalworking techniques, tools and machines?

Thanks,
Rookie

Try this site too:

www.metalmeet.com

I haven't found anything better than metalmeet and RCM.
Mike

Thanks for the suggestion.

David Merrill

Here's a few:

http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/library.html
http://www-me.mit.edu/Lectures/Machi...s/outline.html
http://www.eng.hmc.edu/E8/Videos.htm
http://metalwebnews.com/machine-tools/fmt.html
http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/article_index.htm
http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/sindex.html
http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/
http://www.metalworking.com/links_to_learn.html
http://www.stagesmith.com/Metal-links.html

That should keep you out of mischief for a while:-) There's lots more out
there. Google is your friend :-) Try various combinations of descriptive
words to search on.

David Merrill

"JWho" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a site or sites with some general information on

various
metalworking techniques, tools and machines?

Thanks,
Rookie

JWho

"David Merrill" wrote in message
Here's a few:

http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/library.html
http://www-me.mit.edu/Lectures/Machi...s/outline.html
http://www.eng.hmc.edu/E8/Videos.htm
http://metalwebnews.com/machine-tools/fmt.html
http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/article_index.htm
http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/sindex.html
http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/
http://www.metalworking.com/links_to_learn.html
http://www.stagesmith.com/Metal-links.html

That should keep you out of mischief for a while:-) There's lots more out
there. Google is your friend :-) Try various combinations of descriptive
words to search on.

David Merrill

Hi. Thank you very much. I will check them out. I can't understand a good
bit of what is discussed here, though I want to. It's hard to follow along
when you don't speak the language. :-)

Grant Erwin

Hi. Thank you very much. I will check them out. I can't understand a good
bit of what is discussed here, though I want to. It's hard to follow along
when you don't speak the language. :-)

So ask! The cool thing about ignorance is that, unlike stupidity, it's curable.

GWE
JWho

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

Hi. Thank you very much. I will check them out. I can't understand a

good
bit of what is discussed here, though I want to. It's hard to follow

along
when you don't speak the language. :-)

So ask! The cool thing about ignorance is that, unlike stupidity, it's

curable.

GWE

I have several metalworking related questions, and I am trying not to wear
out my welcome. :-)

Rex B

Well, post them all in one message, number.
Those that can answer intelligently will address them.
The rest of us will make up somthing plausible

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

JWho wrote:
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

Hi. Thank you very much. I will check them out. I can't understand a

good

bit of what is discussed here, though I want to. It's hard to follow

along

when you don't speak the language. :-)

So ask! The cool thing about ignorance is that, unlike stupidity, it's

curable.

GWE

I have several metalworking related questions, and I am trying not to wear
out my welcome. :-)

Martin H. Eastburn

Best ask - give us something to talk about other than politics!

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

JWho wrote:
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

Hi. Thank you very much. I will check them out. I can't understand a

good

bit of what is discussed here, though I want to. It's hard to follow

along

when you don't speak the language. :-)

So ask! The cool thing about ignorance is that, unlike stupidity, it's

curable.

GWE

I have several metalworking related questions, and I am trying not to wear
out my welcome. :-)

Eric R Snow

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 12:19:31 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Hi. Thank you very much. I will check them out. I can't understand a good
bit of what is discussed here, though I want to. It's hard to follow along
when you don't speak the language. :-)

So ask! The cool thing about ignorance is that, unlike stupidity, it's curable.

GWE

And ignorance is nothing to be ashamed of. Unless it's deliberate.
ERS
Mike Henry

"JWho" wrote in message
"JWho" wrote in message
[...]

These sites are also very good:

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~chrish/
http://www-me.mit.edu/Lectures/Machi...s/outline.html

If you feel comfortable with posting your location, you might find other
hobbyists in your area that would be willing to show you some of the basics
in person.

IMHO, posting one question per post is better than several in one post.
Discussions here get sidetracked enough as it is.

Mike

Mike Martin

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 21:46:51 -0600, Mike Henry wrote:

If you feel comfortable with posting your location, you might find other
hobbyists in your area that would be willing to show you some of the basics
in person.

Hi Mike, I'm not the OP but I'm really interested in learning more about
metalwork (I've done some blacksmithing and basic armor making for middle
ages re-enactment) and I'm particularly interested in casting and machine
work. If there's anyone reading from the KC area, I'm in Warrensburg and
I'm nice to machines. (and people)

Mike
Jim Stewart

JWho wrote:

Does anyone know of a site or sites with some general information on various
metalworking techniques, tools and machines?

Sort of self-referential but it works for me...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...lworking?hl=en

In the "Search this Group" box, put what you
are specifically interested in.

DOC

Default Metalworking for Smarties Website? - was Dummies

I'll vote for that.

I often say that I learn more from this group than Home Shop Machinist...

Only possible exception is Machinery's Handbook.

Oh. And, as you see, I suggest the subject be changed to:
"Metalworking for Smarties".

:-)

DOC