DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers?? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/127871-suggestions-micrometer-calipers.html)

JWho November 4th 05 01:04 PM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

What are some features to look for in a micrometer or caliper? Are the ones
at Harbor Freight worth considering? I have a $20 micrometer from Sears,
but I think it may not be too accurate. I am looking to mainly measure
items that are .1mm - .3mm in thickness (weekly use), but sometimes stuff
that is larger (monthly or yearly). I wouldn't need to measure anything
larger than 3"/75ish mm. I saw a 3 piece kit at Harbor Freight that has a
0-25mm micrometer, 25 - 50mm micrometer and 50 - 75 mm micrometer. Has
anyone seen that one?

What makes a Starett/Mitutuyo/etc. brand so much more better (expensive
too)?

Thank you.

Nick Müller November 4th 05 02:36 PM

JWho wrote:

What are some features to look for in a micrometer or caliper?

Oh, that doesn't matter that much. I would take any mike someone has
written "Mitutoyo" on it. As long as the writing wasn't done with an
edding. :-)

What makes a Starett/Mitutuyo/etc. brand so much more better (expensive
too)?

You have them a live long. Accuracy, repeatability and quality. That
costs and pays back.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Grant Erwin November 4th 05 03:30 PM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

I have over the last 15 years or so bought several lots of machinist tools, so
I've gotten quite a few different things in my hands to look at. My main set of
micrometers is a nice Lufkin 0-6" set in a wooden box, very chi-chi. However,
when it was time for me to tool up to go do 2 quarters of machine shop classes
at night school and leave my tools there in my locker, I took only tools that I
felt I could live without because the risk of theft was very high. Among those
tools was a 0-1" Craftsman Professional micrometer. I used that a lot in the
lathe class, and grew to really like it. It seems to me (as big a snob as
anyone) that it is made very well indeed, and appears to work perfectly. Later I
sought out and found a 1-2" matching Craftsman Professional mic, and I like it
too. Still later someone told me that these are made for Craftsman by Starrett,
which would explain everything. The kicker is that with Craftsman stuff having
gone so far downhill since the '70s, the older Craftsman Professional machinist
tools go *cheap*. I paid the princely sum of $4 for my 1-2" mic on ebay.

So my advice is, if you're starting out, you could do much worse than go find
some Craftsman Professional stuff on ebay.

Also, there are two kinds of calipers, which causes horrible confusion. One kind
often has a little readout and is basically like a 6" rule, maybe a dial or
digital caliper. The other kind has 2 legs, comes in inside, outside and
hermaphrodite, and I find it very confusing that they are all called "calipers".
Anyway, I have a whole bunch of the latter and if you're interested email me
offline. I've been decluttering lately, which means selling stuff, and these are
quite inexpensive. See: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tls/108149920.html

GWE
Kirkland, Washington

Gunner November 4th 05 05:43 PM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 07:30:15 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Anyway, I have a whole bunch of the latter and if you're interested email me
offline. I've been decluttering lately, which means selling stuff, and these are
quite inexpensive. See: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tls/108149920.html

GWE
Kirkland, Washington

Coming this way anytime soon?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Harold and Susan Vordos November 4th 05 06:08 PM

"JWho" wrote in message
What are some features to look for in a micrometer or caliper? Are the

ones
at Harbor Freight worth considering? I have a $20 micrometer from Sears,
but I think it may not be too accurate. I am looking to mainly measure
items that are .1mm - .3mm in thickness (weekly use), but sometimes stuff
that is larger (monthly or yearly). I wouldn't need to measure anything
larger than 3"/75ish mm. I saw a 3 piece kit at Harbor Freight that has a
0-25mm micrometer, 25 - 50mm micrometer and 50 - 75 mm micrometer. Has
anyone seen that one?

What makes a Starett/Mitutuyo/etc. brand so much more better (expensive
too)?

Thank you.

The one thing you must understand is that calipers, vernier, dial, or
digital, in NO way will be anywhere near as accurate as a micrometer----nor
are they intended to be. Micrometers, even those that are not calibrated
in tenths, are far more precise than are calipers------by design.

One of the things you must do is make your decision based on your needs.
If you are concerned about a thou, then don't rely on calipers. If you
don't care if you are off a few tenths, a cheap micrometer will suffice.
The more expensive measuring tools are generally more reliable, although
that isn't a given. I bought a new Mitutoyo dial caliper that varied by
..002", inside to outside measurements. That was excessive, and they were
returned. I asked for a replacement, not a refund, for I have great faith
in the Mitutoyo name, having used many of their measuring tools and finding
them to be superior in some instances to Starrett, which I own almost
exclusively.

Bottom line: buy both, mics and calipers, if you can afford them. Each has
a place, but it's important for you to understand which is proper for the
application at hand.

Harold

Gunner November 4th 05 06:23 PM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:08:43 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"JWho" wrote in message
[...]

I work in machine shops as a machine tool repair tech. Given that
most shops now days have few machinists..but lots of operators at
lower pay scales..Chinese metrology equipment is very very common.
Every calibrator Ive talked to says that 99.99% of Chinese mics etc
etc will pass calibration every time, for at least 5 yrs of daily
work, before they start getting worn out. Now if you are doing home
stuff...that 5 yrs will translate into "grandchildrens bequest". If
you are a pro..and need them to last for 30 yrs..by the big names.
YMMV

Chuck Sherwood November 4th 05 07:19 PM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

I work in machine shops as a machine tool repair tech. Given that
most shops now days have few machinists..but lots of operators at
lower pay scales..Chinese metrology equipment is very very common.
Every calibrator Ive talked to says that 99.99% of Chinese mics etc
etc will pass calibration every time, for at least 5 yrs of daily

I have a set of chineese mics from enco and they work fine. When
I first got them, I would measure something with a starret or B&S
and the enco and they compared well. I enve tried a couple Jo
blocks and they seemed right on. They work well and the price is
right. I also use the cheap enco calipers for everyday work. I
have better ones, but I don't cry if I drop the cheap ones.

chuck

Dave Lyon November 4th 05 09:01 PM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

I bought a new Mitutoyo dial caliper that varied by
.002", inside to outside measurements. That was excessive, and they

were
returned. I asked for a replacement, not a refund, for I have great faith
in the Mitutoyo name, having used many of their measuring tools and

finding
them to be superior in some instances to Starrett, which I own almost
exclusively.

I don't care for starrett mikes. Most of them have slanted lines which I
find hard to read.

My favorites are Brown and Sharp, followed closely by the more affordable
Mitutoyo.

Rex B November 4th 05 09:04 PM

Chuck Sherwood wrote:
I work in machine shops as a machine tool repair tech. Given that
most shops now days have few machinists..but lots of operators at
lower pay scales..Chinese metrology equipment is very very common.
Every calibrator Ive talked to says that 99.99% of Chinese mics etc
etc will pass calibration every time, for at least 5 yrs of daily

I have a set of chineese mics from enco and they work fine. When
I first got them, I would measure something with a starret or B&S
and the enco and they compared well. I enve tried a couple Jo
blocks and they seemed right on. They work well and the price is
right. I also use the cheap enco calipers for everyday work. I
have better ones, but I don't cry if I drop the cheap ones.

I've had the same experience. The Enco mics get everyday use and I don't
worry about them walking off.

Chuck Sherwood November 4th 05 09:14 PM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

My favorites are Brown and Sharp, followed closely by the more affordable
Mitutoyo.

I have heard that old Mitutoyo mics were great. Newer ones are not
so great. That about about 7-8 years ago. Disclaimer: I don't own
any Mitutoyo mics, but I do have some electronic calipers and I
like them.

Grant Erwin November 4th 05 10:44 PM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

We used to beat on this topic a lot back in the '90s. I have 3 6" calipers, all
in like-new condition. One is Browne & Sharp, one is Starrett (those two are
dial calipers) and the 3rd is Mitutoyo digital. The one I use the most? The
Browne & Sharp. Great tool. Actually, they're all good. If I had to let go of
one, though, it would be the Starrett.

GWE

Harold and Susan Vordos November 5th 05 01:58 AM

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message
I bought a new Mitutoyo dial caliper that varied by
.002", inside to outside measurements. That was excessive, and they

were
returned. I asked for a replacement, not a refund, for I have great

faith
in the Mitutoyo name, having used many of their measuring tools and

finding
them to be superior in some instances to Starrett, which I own almost
exclusively.

I don't care for starrett mikes. Most of them have slanted lines which I
find hard to read.

I'm not sure what Starrett mic's you've seen, but I have eight of them, not
one has slanted lines. I don't like them slanted, either.

I'm well pleased with the Starrett line, and I have several of their tools,
including gage blocks and height gage. That, of course, excludes the Last
Word indicator, which I also own. Those suckers should be taken to court
for selling such a low life piece of garbage. It's an insult to their
quality. I own several of their long travel indicators and like them just
fine.

Harold

Gunner November 5th 05 05:21 AM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:04:29 -0600, Rex B
wrote:

Chuck Sherwood wrote:
I work in machine shops as a machine tool repair tech. Given that
most shops now days have few machinists..but lots of operators at
lower pay scales..Chinese metrology equipment is very very common.
Every calibrator Ive talked to says that 99.99% of Chinese mics etc
etc will pass calibration every time, for at least 5 yrs of daily

I have a set of chineese mics from enco and they work fine. When
I first got them, I would measure something with a starret or B&S
and the enco and they compared well. I enve tried a couple Jo
blocks and they seemed right on. They work well and the price is
right. I also use the cheap enco calipers for everyday work. I
have better ones, but I don't cry if I drop the cheap ones.

I've had the same experience. The Enco mics get everyday use and I don't
worry about them walking off.

I guess I should mention...most of my mics are NSK. Except the Harbor
Frieght mechanical digital that works just hunky dorey.

D Murphy November 5th 05 09:46 AM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

"JWho" wrote in

What are some features to look for in a micrometer or caliper?

You've gotten some good advice but I'll throw in my .02. Features to look
for in a micrometer to me would be:

Carbide faces - They wear longer and stay flatter over time. Downside is
that carbide chips easily, so if you aren't going to be careful and
organized don't bother.

"Tenths" vernier - Allows you to measure to .0001"

Spindle lock - Allows you to reach into a machine, measure, engage the
lock, then remove the micrometer so you can read it. The lever types are
easiest to use, they also break quicker than the knurled ring around a
collar type.

Adjustment for calibration - There are several schemes for this, the
easiest to use are the type where the barrel is rotated by a small
spanner wrench. The worst are the types where you have to remove the
spindle, tweek it, then put it back together to see if you've done any
good.

Slip mechanism - This would be either a friction thimble or a ratchet on
the end of the thimble. I prefer a friction thimble for measuring while
holding the mic in my hand. I prefer the ratchet thimble for use in a
micrometer stand. A micrometer stand will allow you to measure more
repeatably and more accurately.

Thimble diameter - Often an overlooked feature. I like my Starett because
it's light and skinny (plus it was the first one I bought). OTOH, I don't
like it for measuring "tenths". As I get older it's harder to read, plus
it's prone to parallax error. A fat thimble like the one on my Helios
gives me more consistant readings as the lines are spaced further apart
and easier on my failing eyesight. If you aren't old now, just wait.

Calipers are a different matter. First you need to decide which type you
want; verniers, dial, or digital. In general:

Verniers - they are the most accurate and repeatable of the bunch. They
also will last damn near forever if used carefully and taken care of.
They can be hard to read, and quick reading is not a feature built into
these. Starrett 123 verniers are the best bar none. They are also very
expensive. Mitutoyo makes a decent pair of six inch ones that can be
bought new today. They are lighter and more frail than the Starrett, plus
they aren't flush reading so parallax error can be a problem.

Dial Calipers - The features I look for a

Four way measurement. They can measure OD using the main jaws. ID's using
the top jaws. Depth using the rod that comes out of the end. And steps
using the outside edge of the fixed jaw and the outside edge of the
moveable jaw.

..100" per revolution dial. Some calipers move .200" per revolution of the
dial, these are harder to read.

Covered gear rack - dial calipers have a gear rack that drives the
clockworks when the moveable jaw slides. If chip get in there, the
caliper at the very least can jump teeth resulting in an off center zero.
At worst the gears become damaged and the caliper will no longer be
accurate through out the range.

Quality - They can range from nearly as good as a vernier to nearly
worthless. I've used them all over the years. The Brown and Sharpes are
the best. They are also the same as the Etalon and the Tesa dial
calipers. The Etalon ones are usually more expensive because they have a
pretty horse stamped on them;) If you go with the B&S calipers make sure
they are the ones that say Swiss made. Mitutoyo is a decent second
choice. They are a little light and not as smooth but overall they are
OK. The Starretts aren't worth the money IMO. They are too soft and I
don't like the feel of them. You could buy a Peacock brand (cheap
Japanese) and get the same quality for a lot less. I don't like the
Chinese ones at all. Dial calipers need to have precision gears, and
quality assembly. They Stainless Steel should be quality and well
hardened. Those qualities don't exist in Chinese dial calipers.

Digital Calipers - You can pretty much buy a Mitutoto, Starrett, Brown
and Sharpe, Etalon, or Tesa and end up with a damn nice tool. That being
said, if your budget is tight the Chinese digital calipers aren't bad at
all for the money. Buy them on Ebay and you'll save some money. The big
brands are more coolant proof, have harder jaws, and better battery life.
But if you can be careful with the Chinese ones, they are about as
accurate. Just remove the battery between uses. They suck juice in a big
way just sitting there turned off. Some don't turn off automatically
either, but the difference in battery life is small. Only buy NEW
calipers on Ebay. Micrometers are another matter, but calipers are easily
damaged.

Are
the ones at Harbor Freight worth considering?

No for the micrometers, and maybe for digital calipers. You can buy a
perfectly good high quality used micrometer on Ebay for about what you'd
pay for a Chinese one new. Starretts usually command a slightly higher
price due to the name. But 0-1" Starretts are so common though the price
is usually 1/3 - 1/4 of new. Mitutoyo's are decent and often go for
cheap. But if you are savvy and patient you can snag a really nice
micrometer for next to nothing. What you want to keep an eye out for are
older Helios micrometers, newer Tesa, and Brown & Sharpes. Alos look for
older MG brand, I bought one of these NOS, never used. It's a Lufkin
rebranded. MG later became General brand. Don't touch those. The one you
want will have carbide, tenths, and a unique friction thimble that is at
the top of the thimble, plus a knurled ring lock. These are stamped "Made
in USA". They were sold mainly in hobby stores, but they are Lufkin. I
paid $3.00 for mine plus shipping. But be careful, some are cheap hobby
type and are nearly worthless. If it doesn't have the above features
don't bid. Also look for Mitutoyo "106" micrometers. They have a non
rotating anvil and the model# starts with "106-" Hell here is a 1-2"
http://cgi.ebay.com/MITUTOYO-MICROMETERS-1-2-INCH-75-
OFF_W0QQitemZ7554844037QQcategoryZ92085QQssPageNam eZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewI
tem

or http://tinyurl.com/7uwbp

People don't know what these are and they sell cheap!

Also look for JT Slocomb, Lufkin, and Etalon. Etalons usually sell for
big bucks.

I have a $20 micrometer
from Sears, but I think it may not be too accurate.

Older Craftsmen micrometers can be made by Starrett, Mitutoyo, or Helios.
All very good. The new ones aren't worth a damn.

I am looking to
mainly measure items that are .1mm - .3mm in thickness (weekly use),
but sometimes stuff that is larger (monthly or yearly). I wouldn't
need to measure anything larger than 3"/75ish mm. I saw a 3 piece kit
at Harbor Freight that has a 0-25mm micrometer, 25 - 50mm micrometer
and 50 - 75 mm micrometer. Has anyone seen that one?

They are probably like these http://tinyurl.com/9u5q3

Instead of Chinese look for the ones made in Poland. They are really
quite nice - http://tinyurl.com/dl8vx

They are usually called VIS or VIN brand. Sometimes they just say Poland.

I would try to get used brand name first. At least for the 0-1". You will
use it the most.

Here is a guy with a bunch of new Mitutoyo digit mics listed

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZadsotlarQQhtZ-1

Looks like they can be had for ten bucks plus shipping. Why buy Chinese?

What makes a Starett/Mitutuyo/etc. brand so much more better
(expensive too)?

They are more accurate. They are made with better materials, have better
fit, finish and feel. Often the frames and spindle are harder. Plus they
stand behind what they sell. You can send tham a broken tool and they
will fix it, or you can order parts from them. The tools are also
traceable to NIST.

--

Dan

Harold and Susan Vordos November 5th 05 06:23 PM

"D Murphy" wrote in message
good stuff snipped--------

They are more accurate. They are made with better materials, have better
fit, finish and feel. Often the frames and spindle are harder. Plus they
stand behind what they sell. You can send tham a broken tool and they
will fix it, or you can order parts from them. The tools are also
traceable to NIST.

Dan

Well done, Dan.

Harold

DeepDiver November 5th 05 08:16 PM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

"D Murphy" wrote in message
"JWho" wrote in

What are some features to look for in a micrometer or caliper?

Digital Calipers - snip if your budget is tight the Chinese
digital calipers aren't bad at all for the money. Buy them on
Ebay and you'll save some money.

Are the ones at Harbor Freight worth considering?

No for the micrometers, and maybe for digital calipers.

Dan

Excellent post Dan. I would just add a bit of clarifying info to the last
part about Harbor Freight, as you addressed the issue of micrometers, but
forgot to elaborate on the calipers.

The electronic digital calipers sold at harbor Freight are essentially the
same as all the Chinese import digital calipers sold on Ebay. So if you want
one (or several in different sizes), you can probably get them cheaper and
more conveniently at your local HF store (if you have one nearby).

I have a 6" Mitutoyo digital caliper that is very accurate *AND* very
precise (see below for why these terms are different). I also have a couple
of the HF digital calipers in different sizes for the times I need smaller
or larger (I bought a new 12" HF digital caliper for less than $40 in the
store, whereas even a used 12" Mitutoyo of unknown condition will sell on
Ebay for well over $200). I also will turn to the HF calipers for situations
where I don't want to risk damage to my Mitutoyo caliper. I find the HF
calipers are accurate enough for most hobby/small shop purposes. What annoys
me the most about them is their apparent lack of precision: if I close the
jaws and zero the display, then open and close the jaws, sometimes the
"zero" position will read 0.01mm or -0.01mm. I'm not sure if it has to do
with an imperfection in the mechanical construction which prevents the jaws
from closing to the exact same position every time, or if it's due to the
imprecision in the position-sensing electronic scale. In any case, as I
said, it's more of an annoyance than anything else, as I never use these for
demanding work (and if you need accuracy greater than 0.01mm/0.0004", you
should be using a micrometer anyway).

** Notes on "accuracy" versus "precision" **
Accuracy is the ability to get close to the actual, correct value. Precision
is manifested in the ability to consistently obtain the same value on
multiple measurings of the same dimension. To employ a comparison: in
shooting, accuracy is how close you get to the bull's-eye, whereas precision
is the tightness of your grouping (how close multiple shots are to each
other).

So, if you're measuring a 100.00mm gage block, accuracy would be how close
your instrument comes to reading 100.00mm. If you measure 100.02mm, then you
are accurate within 0.02mm. Precision is determined by making the same
measurement multiple times. If, for example, at the conclusion of ten
separate measurements, your instrument measures 100.02mm every time, then it
is very precise. On the other hand, if it sometimes read 100.03mm and
sometimes read 100.01mm, then your precision is +/- 0.01mm, thus your
measurement is 100.02mm +/- 0.01mm.

When it comes to metrology, precision is always more important than
accuracy. The reason for this is that you can easily compensate for errors
in accuracy: if you know how far off your instrument is (by calibrating it
against a known dimensional standard), you can either re-calibrate it or
simply add/subtract the known error to your measurements. However, errors in
precision can only be dealt with terms of statistical probability (that's
where dimensional tolerance really come in to play).

- Michael

JWho November 6th 05 12:38 AM

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
[...]

Hi. Thanks for the suggestions. Would I need to look for only older
Craftsman Professional, or any year of Craftsman Professional?

Also, there are two kinds of calipers, which causes horrible confusion.

One kind
often has a little readout and is basically like a 6" rule, maybe a dial

or
digital caliper. The other kind has 2 legs, comes in inside, outside and
hermaphrodite, and I find it very confusing that they are all called

"calipers".
Anyway, I have a whole bunch of the latter and if you're interested email

me
offline. I've been decluttering lately, which means selling stuff, and

these are
quite inexpensive. See: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tls/108149920.html

GWE
Kirkland, Washington

Sorry to not know the differences in names. I am a rookie in all this. The
kind I have is 6" wide with a dial gauge. I have seen those kind that look
like an old compass with crooked legs. Me finding out what those are for is
a whole other thread, so please don't worry about explaining what they are
for. Thanks for the offer, but I will have to pass.

Thank you.

JWho November 6th 05 12:49 AM

"JWho" wrote in message
[...]

See, I didn't know that. I was just using whichever one fit.

[...]

How is Mitituyo pronounced??

Thanks for the information. That lets me know I need to buy a 25mm - 50mm
micrometer and a 50mm - 75mm micrometer, or whatever would do such a job as
a micrometer. I don't want SAE! I am tired of converting.

Thanks.

JWho November 6th 05 12:55 AM

wrote:

"JWho" wrote in message
[...]

Hi. Thank you for the information. I won't use any of them daily, and
probably not even weekly or monthly on the larger micrometers.
Unfortunately, I have found out that even if you only need it one time, then
you need it. :-(

JWho November 6th 05 12:56 AM

"Chuck Sherwood" wrote in message
I work in machine shops as a machine tool repair tech. Given that
most shops now days have few machinists..but lots of operators at
lower pay scales..Chinese metrology equipment is very very common.
Every calibrator Ive talked to says that 99.99% of Chinese mics etc
etc will pass calibration every time, for at least 5 yrs of daily

I have a set of chineese mics from enco and they work fine. When
I first got them, I would measure something with a starret or B&S
and the enco and they compared well. I enve tried a couple Jo
blocks and they seemed right on. They work well and the price is
right. I also use the cheap enco calipers for everyday work. I
have better ones, but I don't cry if I drop the cheap ones.

chuck

From lurking on this group, I have seen several people mention "Enco". Is
that an on-line store or is it a walk-in store like Harbor Freight. There
is a Harbor Freight store near here, but I have never heard of Enco.

What is a "Jo blocks"??

Thank you.

JWho November 6th 05 12:57 AM

"Rex B" wrote in message
Chuck Sherwood wrote:
I work in machine shops as a machine tool repair tech. Given that
most shops now days have few machinists..but lots of operators at
lower pay scales..Chinese metrology equipment is very very common.
Every calibrator Ive talked to says that 99.99% of Chinese mics etc
etc will pass calibration every time, for at least 5 yrs of daily

I have a set of chineese mics from enco and they work fine. When
I first got them, I would measure something with a starret or B&S
and the enco and they compared well. I enve tried a couple Jo
blocks and they seemed right on. They work well and the price is
right. I also use the cheap enco calipers for everyday work. I
have better ones, but I don't cry if I drop the cheap ones.

I've had the same experience. The Enco mics get everyday use and I don't
worry about them walking off.

Hi. Thank you for sharing your experience.

JWho November 6th 05 12:59 AM

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message
I bought a new Mitutoyo dial caliper that varied by
.002", inside to outside measurements. That was excessive, and they

were
returned. I asked for a replacement, not a refund, for I have great

faith
in the Mitutoyo name, having used many of their measuring tools and

finding
them to be superior in some instances to Starrett, which I own almost
exclusively.

I don't care for starrett mikes. Most of them have slanted lines which I
find hard to read.

My favorites are Brown and Sharp, followed closely by the more affordable
Mitutoyo.

Thank you for the warning. If I understand you correctly, the measurement
marks do not go straight up and down. I didn't even know they made them
with slanted lines, and I don't think I would like that. My cheap $20
Sears( Chinese) micrometer has straight up and down lines.

Also, thanks for the information on Brown and Sharp. If you consider
Mitutuyo affordable, then I don't even have to look for Brown and Sharp on
Google. :-)

JWho November 6th 05 01:00 AM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

"Chuck Sherwood" wrote in message
My favorites are Brown and Sharp, followed closely by the more affordable
Mitutoyo.

I have heard that old Mitutoyo mics were great. Newer ones are not
so great. That about about 7-8 years ago. Disclaimer: I don't own
any Mitutoyo mics, but I do have some electronic calipers and I
like them.

Hi. Thanks for sharing your experience on that.

JWho November 6th 05 01:00 AM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
We used to beat on this topic a lot back in the '90s. I have 3 6"

calipers, all
in like-new condition. One is Browne & Sharp, one is Starrett (those two

are
dial calipers) and the 3rd is Mitutoyo digital. The one I use the most?

The
Browne & Sharp. Great tool. Actually, they're all good. If I had to let go

of
one, though, it would be the Starrett.

GWE

Hi. Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

JWho November 6th 05 01:03 AM

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message
[...]

gauge blocks? height gauge? Last Word indicator? Every time I ask a
question here, I have ten more questions pop up in my head on stuff I don't
know. :-) PLEASE DON'T answer those questions, as I am trying to handle
the micrometer problem for now. :-)

Thank you.

JWho November 6th 05 02:07 AM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

"D Murphy" wrote in message
"JWho" wrote in

What are some features to look for in a micrometer or caliper?

You've gotten some good advice but I'll throw in my .02. Features to look
for in a micrometer to me would be:

Carbide faces - They wear longer and stay flatter over time. Downside is
that carbide chips easily, so if you aren't going to be careful and
organized don't bother.

"Tenths" vernier - Allows you to measure to .0001"

Spindle lock - Allows you to reach into a machine, measure, engage the
lock, then remove the micrometer so you can read it. The lever types are
easiest to use, they also break quicker than the knurled ring around a
collar type.

I think I know what you mean on this one. My Sears (Chinese) micrometer has
a lever. I didn't even know there was another kind, so thanks for pointing
that out. Remember, you are dealing with a newbie here. :-)

Adjustment for calibration - There are several schemes for this, the
easiest to use are the type where the barrel is rotated by a small
spanner wrench. The worst are the types where you have to remove the
spindle, tweek it, then put it back together to see if you've done any
good.

I don't think my micrometer has any adjustability, but there is some screw
on the bottom of my dial caliper. I don't know what it is for, though.
That is another post, though. No need to worry about that.

Slip mechanism - This would be either a friction thimble or a ratchet on
the end of the thimble. I prefer a friction thimble for measuring while
holding the mic in my hand. I prefer the ratchet thimble for use in a
micrometer stand. A micrometer stand will allow you to measure more
repeatably and more accurately.

Micrometer stand? I had never heard of such a thing. I guess I will have
to read up on that as well.

[...]

What would be an example of a vernier?? Is this the one that looks like a
compass with legs going out or legs going in??

Dial Calipers - The features I look for a

Four way measurement. They can measure OD using the main jaws. ID's using
the top jaws. Depth using the rod that comes out of the end. And steps
using the outside edge of the fixed jaw and the outside edge of the
moveable jaw.

DEPTH!? I went and checked my dial guage, and it has that! I just thought
the end was shaped funny.

.100" per revolution dial. Some calipers move .200" per revolution of the
dial, these are harder to read.

Covered gear rack - dial calipers have a gear rack that drives the
clockworks when the moveable jaw slides. If chip get in there, the
caliper at the very least can jump teeth resulting in an off center zero.
At worst the gears become damaged and the caliper will no longer be
accurate through out the range.

I'll be sure to check this area and keep it clean in the future.

[...]

I saw a $16 model on the Harbor Freight website that has an electonic read
out that shows in metric or SAE. Since I don't use it very often, and what
I use it for deosn't have to be very accurate, I think I will give it a try.
My current one is SAE and I only work on metric stuff, so I want one that is
metric. I'll be sure to take out the battery. Thanks for the tip.

[...]

The ones they have at the local Harbor Freight is $40 and they are green. I
don't see them on the website anymore. They are made by Cen-Tech.

[...]

Thanks again for all the information, plus taking the time to write up such
a thorugh reply. I sincerely appreciate it.

JWho November 6th 05 02:11 AM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"D Murphy" wrote in message
"JWho" wrote in

[...]

Thank you for all the information. I appreciate you taking the time to
write that up. Precision vs. accuracy is one of the few things I remember
from school. Precision was sown as throwing the darts all in one small
area. Accuracy was shown as hitting the bullseye. Precision and accuracy
was shown as throwing all the darts in the bullseye.

I am going to do like you suggested and just get a set of calipers from
Harbor Freight. I don't need them to be very accurate, just metric. I
currently have a 6" dial gauge caliper made by O.E.M (that's what it said on
the pacakge) from Auto Zone. It seems to work OK, but it is not metric, and
I only work on/like metric.

Thanks!

DoN. Nichols November 6th 05 02:26 AM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

According to JWho :
What are some features to look for in a micrometer or caliper? Are the

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

[ ... ]

So my advice is, if you're starting out, you could do much worse than go

find
some Craftsman Professional stuff on ebay.

Hi. Thanks for the suggestions. Would I need to look for only older
Craftsman Professional, or any year of Craftsman Professional?

This one I'll leave to Grant, as I am only familiar with the
ones which were made by Scherr Tumico for Sears to bear the Craftsman
name.

[...]

A dial "readout", I think is the better term. This is commonly
called a "dial caliper".

I have seen those kind that look
like an old compass with crooked legs. Me finding out what those are for is
a whole other thread, so please don't worry about explaining what they are
for. Thanks for the offer, but I will have to pass.

I've already mentioned this in another branch of the thread, so
I won't duplicate that now.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

jim rozen November 6th 05 03:11 AM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

In article I%Iaf.516772$_o.377448@attbi_s71, JWho says...

What are some features to look for in a micrometer or caliper?

Other folks have given some excellent advice, I will add in
that you can often get used micrometers from estate sales
and off of ebay. Often they are in very good shape and
make an economical start for the beginner.

You need to estimate what kind of tolerances you will
be working to. Dial or digital calipers are very handy
and will come very close to micrometer accuracy when
brand new, Harold's caveats take in stride. When they
age they will be off by a thou or three.

The mitutoyo six inch digital calipers would give good
service for a lont time. Do NOT buy the starrett digial
calipers. If you happen onto a used set of dial calipers
you may find the rack full of swarf and this can be
set straight if you are good at watch repair or the like.
This is how I got my pair of 4" mitutoyo dial calipers
and they are still my all around workhorses as long as
I know they are +/- 0.002 or so. For relative work they're
nice because I'm not afraid of dinging them.

I have a good set of starrett dial calipers which a lot
of folks consider to be a non-starter given the open
rack, but I *like* the feel. I also have recently
gotten a 12 inch pair of Mitutoyo digital calipers (that
was last Xmas) because I know those things are quite
bulletproof because they used them in the production
shop I formerly worked in and they got beaten beyond
belief and kept coming back for more.

Any name brand micrometer like Lufkin, Starrett, B&S, and
so on will give good service, and good condition used ones
can be had for about the same price as brand new import
ones, if you prefer name tools.

Jim

please reply to:

D Murphy November 6th 05 03:40 AM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

"JWho" wrote in news:txcbf.524574$_o.129814@attbi_s71:

What is a "Jo blocks"??

Johannson blocks. Otherwise known as gage blocks. Johannson was the
inventor of the concept so they became known as "Johannson's blocks",
which got shortened to "Jo blocks". Enough history.

Gage blocks are the master mechanical reference by which all mechanical
measuring devices are checked. In simple termes they are square or
rectangular blocks made out of either high chrome alloy steel, carbide or
ceramic. A typical "inch" set would have 82 blocks of different
thicknesses. These blocks can be combined to make up any length required.
Then you can check your measuring device against this "known" length.
Gage blocks are machined, ground, hardened, stabilized, then lapped to
final size.

Since gage blocks are the master mechanical reference, they must be
checked by a non mechanical means. Typically a gage block interferometer
is used. Where a known light scource is "split" into it's known wave
lengths. These wave lengths have a known thickness and they are then
compared to the gage block being measured. The temperature and humidity
is closely controlled, typically the block is measured in a sealed
chamber, and the interferometer is in a clean room, isolated from
vibration. With a good interferometer, you can actually measure the
curvature of the earth on the block being measured. Nothing can be truly
"flat" here on earth. This is an over simplified explanation but it'll
do. Or read this - http://inms-ienm.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/en/research/green.pdf

At any rate, the gage blocks are sorted by class. There are several
different classification systems, but they all work the same. The lower
the number or letter, the closer tolerance the gage block is. Since gage
blocks are usually used in combination with other gage blocks to make up
a known length, the tolerances of each block stack up to create a larger
error. Grade 2 or 3 or B or C are typically known as "shop grade". They
would be used in the shop for set-up, sine bars, etc. where the stacked
up tolerances won't affect the work to the point where it would be a
problem. But even shop grade blocks are usually good to .00005" or
..0001". A pretty tight tolerance no matter how you look at it. But it's
not good enough for calibration of measuring tools. The company I work
for makes gage blocks to a grade better than JIS 00. They call it 000.
the tolerance is .03 microns. Which is .0000012".

Here are a couple of links -

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/...?NodeNum=24926

http://www.tsugami.co.jp/product/other/GAGE/GB.pdf

--

Dan

D Murphy November 6th 05 04:18 AM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in
:

"D Murphy" wrote in message
good stuff snipped--------

They are more accurate. They are made with better materials, have
better fit, finish and feel. Often the frames and spindle are harder.
Plus they stand behind what they sell. You can send tham a broken
tool and they will fix it, or you can order parts from them. The
tools are also traceable to NIST.

Dan

Well done, Dan.

Thanks Harold. I was trying to give a good thorough explanation and
share some experience. I might have mentioned before that in my work I
get to use nearly every brand of measuring tool at some point. The way I
see it, when whether or not a customer accepts my $200,000.00 to
$500,000.00 dollar machine tool, comes down to his measuring parts that
I'm making. I'd better be interested in how he is measuring the parts.
Usually the customers know what they are doing, but sometimes you'd be
amazed.

I know a lot of people would say, "well it's just for hobby use so buy a
cheap Chinese micrometer." I can see their point. But if the hobby
becomes more serious, or you decide to some very tight tolerance work,
or you decide that you like the hobby enough to make the jump into a
career, then you will need the better tools. Why not buy the quality
tool on Ebay where they can be had for pennies on the dollar? Often new
and unused. Plus if you decide to sell your tools someday (blasphemy),
quality tools have a better residual value. I have a Mitutoyo carbide
tip blade mike that I bought twenty-some years ago. Recently I came
across the receipt for it while cleaning ny tool box. I could sell it
today on Ebay and would get ten to twenty bucks less than I paid for it.
Somehow I doubt that will be the case for a no name Chinese blade mike.

I also collect antique machinist tools. I recently bought a 100+ year
old Brown & Sharpe 0-1". After calibrating it, it is still spot on
throughout its range. Same with a Starrett that is nearly as old. I
could use these tools tomorrow without a worry about whether or not they
are accurate.

--

Dan

michael November 6th 05 05:09 AM

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message

[...]

Mics, from 0-6" I've a couple Tesas which I favor the most, even with
slanted lines, a couple Mitus, don't like the 0-1 cause of the ratchet
location but it's accurate, a Fowler that sure looks like a Mitutoyo, a
couple Starretts which are right up there, a nice B&S, and a
Craftsmanwhich seems okay but is same range as a Starrett right next to
it. Which would you grab? From 6-12" I have 2 sets of Tumico tubular
mics. A bit of a pain to set up each time, but they work well. Don't
have any what I would call junk mics. No offence to anyone spouting of
the quality of whatever Harbor Salvage has this week, but at this stage
I don't forsee buying any more mics. Unless one of them
super-steal-deals falls in my lap.

Calipers, still have my first $39.95 0-6" Tesa dials which are in
honored retirement. They only found the floor once during a long and
distinguished career. Have a couple or three 6" dials, 3 8" dials, a 12"
dial, and 1 6" digi, which are all Mitutoyo. The digi is used rarely for
metric measuring. Some would argue, and I agree that a mic is the better
choice for close measurment, BUT a good hand *can* check within temths
with a good caliper (dials) if properly calibrated. Sometimes it may be
the only option available.

My picks for most used and favored are the 0-1" Tesa mic used daily for
over 35 years and 8" dial Mitutoyo caliper. They feel right and work right.

michael

Harold, why in the #### do you have a Last Word indicator? I got one
with a bunch of stuff once and found a sucker to take it. And I didn't
have to pay him!

michael November 6th 05 05:32 AM

jim rozen wrote:

In article I%Iaf.516772$_o.377448@attbi_s71, JWho says...

What are some features to look for in a micrometer or caliper?

Other folks have given some excellent advice, I will add in
that you can often get used micrometers from estate sales
and off of ebay. Often they are in very good shape and
make an economical start for the beginner.

I was thinking the same thing. I've had occasion to get some tools at 2
different estate sales. I don't recall tit for tat, but the value I got
was excellent. At one I got, among other things, a small Kennedy chest
with the 2-drawer under it. Inside the boxes were several types of
Starrett mics, ID, OD, depth. They all had the original cert of accuracy
with them and there were absolutely no chips in any of the drawers. I
also got several things that don't always make it on the need to buy
list, but are needed and/or wanted.

michael

[email protected] November 6th 05 06:23 AM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

One thing to get is a Starrett catalog, doesn't matter what year. If
you thumb through it, you'll find a lot of your questions answered. I
haven't gotten one for a number of years, but they used to be free at
the distributors. Starrett now has a website, you might be able to
sign up there for a catalog or at least browse the range of tools that
they handle. Looking is cheap. Might be able to find a local
distributor, too. Starrett also used to have a small book for the
education of apprentices and the like, you might see if you can find
one of those. I have one that I got on a close-out, wasn't expensive
at list, was a steal when I got it. Lots of tables and explanations in
there.

Stan

JWho November 6th 05 06:29 AM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
rvers.com...
According to JWho :
[...]

Hi. Thanks for the additional information.

JWho November 6th 05 06:34 AM

"D Murphy" wrote in message
[...]

Hi. Thank you for the additional information. I appreciate it.

JWho November 6th 05 06:35 AM

Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

wrote in message
oups.com...
One thing to get is a Starrett catalog, doesn't matter what year. If
you thumb through it, you'll find a lot of your questions answered. I
haven't gotten one for a number of years, but they used to be free at
the distributors. Starrett now has a website, you might be able to
sign up there for a catalog or at least browse the range of tools that
they handle. Looking is cheap. Might be able to find a local
distributor, too. Starrett also used to have a small book for the
education of apprentices and the like, you might see if you can find
one of those. I have one that I got on a close-out, wasn't expensive
at list, was a steal when I got it. Lots of tables and explanations in
there.

Stan

Hi. Thanks for the suggestion. I will look through their online catalog.

JWho November 6th 05 06:38 AM

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message

[...]

Hi. Thanks for the additional information. From everyone's help, it looks
like I may need to check on eBay for a used micrometer. I don't use one
often nough to justify the cost of a new, high quality, name brand model.

Thanks again.

JWho November 6th 05 06:45 AM

"D Murphy" wrote in message
good stuff snipped--------

[...]

I think I am going to look on eBay for a used name brand micrometer. Is
there some way to check to see if it is accurate? Do they come with a metal
bar that is .5" or 1" exactly or something like that?? I thought I saw
something in a set at Harbor Freight. Is a micrometer adjustable to get it
back to accurate? I'd hate to buy one off eBay and it be inaccurate. Also,
there are so many different models that it is confusing. If I get one off
eBay, it won't be a Chinese one. I can just go get a new one from Harbor
Freight instead of eBay.

Thanks.

JWho November 6th 05 06:49 AM

"jim rozen" wrote in message
[...]

Hi. Thanks for the information. Of all the tools I mentioned, I can make
the most use out of a 25mm - 50mm (if that is the normal range) micrometer.
I am going to start looking on eBay for the brand names you and others have
mentioned. If a used one can be checked for accuracy, then I would rather
have a used name brand than a new Harbor Freight one, if the price is not
too much more.