DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cutting "square" holes in sheet metal? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/127654-cutting-square-holes-sheet-metal.html)

[email protected] November 2nd 05 05:12 PM

Cutting "square" holes in sheet metal?

How would I go about cutting small 1/4 inch square holes in 10 gauge
sheet sheet metal?

Grant Erwin November 2nd 05 06:35 PM

wrote:
How would I go about cutting small 1/4 inch square holes in 10 gauge
sheet metal?

If I had to do 2 or 3 holes, I'd drill them undersize and file them. If I had to
do hundreds and hundreds, I'd invest in a square hole punch and die for a
Whitney hand punch. In between? ..

GWE

Stephen Young November 3rd 05 02:44 AM

Grant Erwin wrote:
wrote:

How would I go about cutting small 1/4 inch square holes in 10 gauge
sheet metal?

If I had to do 2 or 3 holes, I'd drill them undersize and file them. If
I had to do hundreds and hundreds, I'd invest in a square hole punch and
die for a Whitney hand punch. In between? ..

GWE

A Whitney hand punch for 10 gauge!?!?!

DoN. Nichols November 3rd 05 05:18 AM

Cutting "square" holes in sheet metal?

According to Stephen Young :
Grant Erwin wrote:
wrote:

How would I go about cutting small 1/4 inch square holes in 10 gauge
sheet metal?

If I had to do 2 or 3 holes, I'd drill them undersize and file them. If
I had to do hundreds and hundreds, I'd invest in a square hole punch and
die for a Whitney hand punch. In between? ..

GWE

A Whitney hand punch for 10 gauge!?!?!

And keeping a square punch and die aligned? I've only seen
round punches for the Whitney. (Though I would be glad to learn of the
ability to do square and other shapes.)

In the meanwhile -- what *I* would use would be a 1/4" square
broach -- which I already have. However, note that the pilot hole is a
little over 1/4" for that, so the sides of the hole will have a slight
scallop on each side. I would use an arbor press to drive the broach,
and would use a drill press to make the pilot holes, unless the location
was quite critical.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Kelley Mascher November 3rd 05 09:19 PM

Cutting "square" holes in sheet metal?

A Roper Whitney No.8 will do it.

Kelley

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 21:44:43 -0500, Stephen Young

Stephen Young November 4th 05 01:36 AM

Kelley Mascher wrote:
A Roper Whitney No.8 will do it.

When I read "hand punch" I envision a No. 5 Jr or the XX. These you can
use with 1 hand. The No.8 needs 2 hands or a bench mounting device or
something similar to use 1 hand.