Jim Moser

Default Chucker Project-Gunner?

I just read your last post from a month ago about not using cog belt
for spindle but I had already installed the cog and I don't see any
flaws in the surface finish so am lucky there but have a couple other
issuse. The brake seems to work fine but I disconnected it because in
the brake off mode the solenoid is energised and it has an obnoxious
hum to it. I cleaned it all up but don't know if there is a way to
silence it.Second problem is it cuts a taper.At least .001 inch in 3 to
4 inch long stock. I don't see any provision for tweaking the head but
I did loosen the headstock set screws so I could slide the headstock
around and installed a small wedge in the back left side of the
dovetail and fiddled with this untill she cut true.Hokey but seems to
work.I can't believe the ways are worn unough in 4 inches to cause
this. Are there any other solutions ? Thanks Jim

Dave Lyon

"Jim Moser" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just read your last post from a month ago about not using cog belt
for spindle but I had already installed the cog and I don't see any
flaws in the surface finish so am lucky there but have a couple other
issuse. The brake seems to work fine but I disconnected it because in
the brake off mode the solenoid is energised and it has an obnoxious
hum to it. I cleaned it all up but don't know if there is a way to
silence it.Second problem is it cuts a taper.At least .001 inch in 3 to
4 inch long stock. I don't see any provision for tweaking the head but
I did loosen the headstock set screws so I could slide the headstock
around and installed a small wedge in the back left side of the
dovetail and fiddled with this untill she cut true.Hokey but seems to
work.I can't believe the ways are worn unough in 4 inches to cause
this. Are there any other solutions ? Thanks Jim

A large lathe will cut a taper if it is not properly leveled.

Jon Elson

Dave Lyon wrote:

"Jim Moser" wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

A small lathe, ie. 10" Atlas, will also cut tapers (and hyperbolas if
you make
the part long enough) if the ends are not parallel. I wouldn't have
believed
how sensitive this could be unless I'd seen it myself. It made an amazing
difference when I leveled both ends with a master precision level
(.0005" / 10")

Jon

jim rozen

In article Zyaaf.534471$xm3.145580@attbi_s21, Dave Lyon says...

Hokey but seems to
work.I can't believe the ways are worn unough in 4 inches to cause
this. Are there any other solutions ? Thanks Jim

A large lathe will cut a taper if it is not properly leveled.

Ahh, true except for hardinges. Because the bed is on
a three point kinematic mount, there is neither provison
for, or need of, any kind of levelling.

Jim

please reply to:
Jim Moser

Thanks Jim, I didn't think leveling would have much effect on this
lathe with the solid ways and short envelope and the parts I am testing
run within .0001 in my other lathe with the same insert and overhang
? Jim

Gunner

On 2 Nov 2005 08:48:46 -0800, "Jim Moser"
wrote:

I just read your last post from a month ago about not using cog belt
for spindle but I had already installed the cog and I don't see any
flaws in the surface finish so am lucky there but have a couple other
issuse. The brake seems to work fine but I disconnected it because in
the brake off mode the solenoid is energised and it has an obnoxious
hum to it. I cleaned it all up but don't know if there is a way to
silence it.Second problem is it cuts a taper.At least .001 inch in 3 to
4 inch long stock. I don't see any provision for tweaking the head but
I did loosen the headstock set screws so I could slide the headstock
around and installed a small wedge in the back left side of the
dovetail and fiddled with this untill she cut true.Hokey but seems to
work.I can't believe the ways are worn unough in 4 inches to cause
this. Are there any other solutions ? Thanks Jim

Nope..you pretty much got it. Instead of shims..you COULD have drilled
the side of the headstock over the dovetail and installed setscrews to
push in the proper directions...shrug..but if it works...it works and
shim stock doesnt come loose G

Make up a gage, with a dial indicator on one end, and lay it over the
ways..with one side held tightly against the back of the ways..and the
front of the ways against the spring loaded rod of the indicator..and
slide the gauge along the ways...you will be surprised on how much
saddle you will find in many lathes.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Jon Elson

jim rozen wrote:

In article Zyaaf.534471$xm3.145580@attbi_s21, Dave Lyon says...

Hokey but seems to
work.I can't believe the ways are worn unough in 4 inches to cause
this. Are there any other solutions ? Thanks Jim

A large lathe will cut a taper if it is not properly leveled.

Ahh, true except for hardinges. Because the bed is on
a three point kinematic mount, there is neither provison
for, or need of, any kind of levelling.

Quite right, I meant to mention this in my comment. There are several
other lathes that are built this way.

Jon

Jim Moser

I assume the brake solenoid coil is just belly up ? No Fixes ? Jim

Gunner

On 3 Nov 2005 19:46:11 -0800, "Jim Moser"
wrote:

I assume the brake solenoid coil is just belly up ? No Fixes ? Jim

I missed that part. Nearly all the brakes hum to one degree or
another. Depending on type..I have spare brake units.