Jim & Lil

Default nk

VIN= Vehichle Identification Number

There is NO VIN on an engine........ The VIN will be located on the frame
of whatever vehicle it came off...not the engine...
The VIN located on the FRAME of the bike or whatever the engine came
out of will include the serial Number of the engine ....which you have
already taken pictures of....so give the cops the Engine Serial
number....Generally the last few digits of the engine serial number will
match the VIN which you do not, nor will ever find unless you have the
frame...............Jim

"Ignoramus21002" wrote in message
People, I really need help here. If you answer, please make sure that
your reply is xposted to rec.crafts.metalworking.

I have this motorcycle engine and I urgently need to FIND WHERE THE
VIN NUMBER IS STAMPED ON IT. I looked kind of closely and couldnot
find anything.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/suzuki-motor/

Where should I look for VIN?

Thanks a lot. If you know anything about these engines, plz reply.

Jim & Lil

:
VIN= Vehichle Identification Number

There is NO VIN on an engine........ The VIN will be located on the
frame
of whatever vehicle it came off...not the engine...
The VIN located on the FRAME of the bike or whatever the engine came
out of will include the serial Number of the engine ....which you have
already taken pictures of....so give the cops the Engine Serial
number....Generally the last few digits of the engine serial number will
match the VIN which you do not, nor will ever find unless you have the
frame...............Jim

The detective said that it should be there. Maybe he is wrong. But I
would not bet that way.

Again:

I need a VIN number, not any other number.

Well your detective is wrong...there is NO VIN on an engine block...he
may have said VIN...but he probably meant serial number.............so I
guess you can expect a visit....ROFL....Phone him up and tell him the serial
number...if he comes over looking for a VIN number...then he needs a
different day job....Jim

optaylor

Ya know Ig the folks that are answering your question have been riding
probably since befor you were born. I would think that they know what they
are talking about. Even in an auto the vin is located not on the engine but
on the dash(frame) You will not find a Vin on that motor. I hope you take
the time to listen to the information you asked for. The GSXR 750 mounted
the Vin on the Down Tube. I was not stamped on the motor. The only marksings
I know of on the motor are fluid levels and the serial.

OP

"Ignoramus21002" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:50:45 -0600, Jim & Lil
wrote:

:
[...]

Jim, can you tell me just how do you know that for a fact. Are you a
car dealer, or something like that? Did you work for a polica agency?
I need to determine if your answer is merely speculation, or you
actually were involving in some relevant trade and know this for a
fact.

Leo Lichtman

To me it seems logical that the VIN would not match the engine number,
since, on an assembly line, a car could end up with a number of engine
choices. Matching the numbers would require that the engine number be
stamped just at the point of installation.

Since you have given your best effort to finding a VIN on the motor, I think
you have no choice left but to show the engine to the cops, and let them see
if they can find it.

I believe the idea that they are going to jump down your throat for having
this engine is way off. Detectives usually appreciate it when a citizen
offers help and cooperation. If they treated every citizen as a criminal,
they would eventually make their own job more difficult. It would be
different if they caught you trying to sell it, and it turned out to be hot.

Jim & Lil

Well your detective is wrong...there is NO VIN on an engine block...he
may have said VIN...but he probably meant serial number.............so I
guess you can expect a visit....ROFL....Phone him up and tell him the
serial
number...if he comes over looking for a VIN number...then he needs a
different day job....Jim

Jim, can you tell me just how do you know that for a fact. Are you a
car dealer, or something like that? Did you work for a polica agency?
I need to determine if your answer is merely speculation, or you
actually were involving in some relevant trade and know this for a
fact.

25 yrs collecting cars, motorcycles....forget it!..I give up on you!....Jim

spodely

"Ignoramus21002" wrote in message

Well your detective is wrong...there is NO VIN on an engine block...he
may have said VIN...but he probably meant serial number.............so I
guess you can expect a visit....ROFL....Phone him up and tell him the
serial
number...if he comes over looking for a VIN number...then he needs a
different day job....Jim

Jim, can you tell me just how do you know that for a fact. Are you a
car dealer, or something like that? Did you work for a polica agency?
I need to determine if your answer is merely speculation, or you
actually were involving in some relevant trade and know this for a
fact.

I'll answer this. I was a police officer and assigned specifically to motor
vehicles for many years. That engine does not have a VIN. A vehicle
identification number is just that, a 'vehicle identification' number.
Sometimes an engine serial number can be matched to a vehicle, but not in
most cases. All you will have, and have already found, is an engine serial
number.

John

Joe Rooney

"spodely" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I can agree with that, the cops in Ft Lauderdale used to bust humps at a
local biker bar (early 70's) by taking engine sn's and VIN's and running
them for mismatches.

South Dixie Highway, what a paradise.

Joe

XL600R that's a Honda Dual Sport