DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   what plastic do I need? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/126765-what-plastic-do-i-need.html)

[email protected] October 27th 05 04:21 PM

what plastic do I need?

I'm looking for sheets 4 x 8 ft or so to make a solar collector. I'm
wanting something that isn't too expensive and flexable.
Ken

Dave Lyon October 27th 05 04:30 PM

what plastic do I need?

Most plastics will degrade when exposed to the environment. Consider using
glass, or one of the specialty plastics designed for solar collection.

oups.com...

Pete C. October 27th 05 05:55 PM

what plastic do I need?

Dave Lyon wrote:

Most plastics will degrade when exposed to the environment. Consider using
glass, or one of the specialty plastics designed for solar collection.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for sheets 4 x 8 ft or so to make a solar collector. I'm
wanting something that isn't too expensive and flexable.
Ken

Also consider asking on alt.energy.homepower or one of the other solar
related groups.

Pete C.

Tim Killian October 27th 05 11:54 PM

what plastic do I need?

wrote:
I'm looking for sheets 4 x 8 ft or so to make a solar collector. I'm
wanting something that isn't too expensive and flexable.
Ken

You can buy sheets of clear polycarbonate, single or double wall, from
www.teksupply.com . It's one of the few plastics that will hold up in
outdoor use.

Sunworshipper October 28th 05 02:19 AM

what plastic do I need?

On 27 Oct 2005 08:21:27 -0700, wrote:

I'm looking for sheets 4 x 8 ft or so to make a solar collector. I'm
wanting something that isn't too expensive and flexable.
Ken

I've tried this before. Your better off going with aluminum than the
best lexan and aluminum backed. You also need to put in slotted holes
for expansion and contraction. Unless your talking 3 dimensional and
then you'll want to go mosaic glass mirror or mylar.

Karl Vorwerk October 28th 05 12:03 PM

what plastic do I need?

If you use glass I suggest safety glass or tempered. One of my students has
a friend who went through a glass window yesterday. Fourteen year old girl
with a stitched up thigh. Of course it could have been worse.
Karl

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message
Most plastics will degrade when exposed to the environment. Consider using
glass, or one of the specialty plastics designed for solar collection.

oups.com...