afdr9lk

Default South Bend cross slide thrust bearing source?

I have a South Bend "Heavy 10" and one of the thrust
bearings in the cross slide is shot. Anyone have a source
for these? I'd probably replace both if I can find some.
Errol Groff

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 00:40:53 GMT, afdr9lk wrote:

I have a South Bend "Heavy 10" and one of the thrust
bearings in the cross slide is shot. Anyone have a source
for these? I'd probably replace both if I can find some.

I just took the worn out bearing to the local bearing/motor repair
shop and they were able to fix me right up.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School
643 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org
ATP*

"Errol Groff" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 00:40:53 GMT, afdr9lk wrote:

I have a South Bend "Heavy 10" and one of the thrust
bearings in the cross slide is shot. Anyone have a source
for these? I'd probably replace both if I can find some.

I just took the worn out bearing to the local bearing/motor repair
shop and they were able to fix me right up.

Errol Groff

Did it take up much lash?

Tony

Go to your local bearing distributor that handles INA bearings. INA makes
the flat thrust bearings.

Tony

"afdr9lk" wrote in message
news
I have a South Bend "Heavy 10" and one of the thrust
bearings in the cross slide is shot. Anyone have a source
for these? I'd probably replace both if I can find some.

Errol Groff

Did it take up much lash?

In my experience the new thrust bearing did nothing for the backlash
problem What did help was a new screw and nut for the cross slide.
Not being able to afford S.B. prices I fixed several lathes in the
following manner:

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/...rew_repair.htm

Hope this is of use to someone!

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School
643 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

afdr9lk

ATP* wrote:
"Errol Groff" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 00:40:53 GMT, afdr9lk wrote:

I have a South Bend "Heavy 10" and one of the thrust
bearings in the cross slide is shot. Anyone have a source
for these? I'd probably replace both if I can find some.

I just took the worn out bearing to the local bearing/motor repair
shop and they were able to fix me right up.

Errol Groff

Did it take up much lash?

I can't answer for him but I bet that most of the play
comes from a worn nut on the cross feed screw. Unless
they were really trashed.