Orrin Iseminger

Default Van Norman literature available

I've recently put most of my Van Norman literature on CD-ROM. It
amounts to about 100 JPEGS of literature advertising the #6 and #12
mills, accessories, letters from Van Norman, collet and arbor drawings
(with dimensions), a factory blueprint of the cutter head, and an
accessory catalog.

If there are any Van Norman #6 or #12 milling machine owners out there
that would be interested in obtaining this CD, let me know.

Formerly, I sent out literature duplicated on my personal
electrostatic copier; but, the quality of the pictures was very poor.
The scanned pictures are much better (although, in order to limit JPEG
file size, I reduced the quality, somewhat).

There's one caveat to keep in mind concerning home-produced CDs:
CD-ROM drives seem sensitive to write speed. If your computer cannot
read the CD I send, I can burn another for you at a different speed.
This seems to do the trick. However, I always check to see if they can
be read in another computer before mailing them out.

In order to minimize potential disappointment from #6 owners, I'll say
right up front that my literature does not include an operating manual
for a #6 mill. According to a letter I have from back in the fifties,
V-N never printed a manual for the #6. What they provided at that time
to #6 owners was a #12 manual and a typewritten, dittoed #6 "manual."
I don't know if they ever produced a #6 manual after that, or not. My
literature includes the dittoed manual. I had to do a lot of image
enhancement to bring out the faded blue and de-emphasize the yellow.
It is readable, now.

My accessory catalogue is much like the one posted on the web at...

http://members.iquest.net/~bhaskell/...accessory.html

....except that I did my scans at 150 dpi; and, the catalog covers are
different. I've not done a side-by-side comparison, so there may be
other differences I've not mentioned.

To defray my costs I ask folks to judge the value of what I sent and
to repay me, accordingly; but, to establish a base worth, consider my
cost for the CD, CD box, $1.06 domestic US postage, many hours of
scanning time, and many more hours doing color correction to get rid
of the yellow cast from aged paper, assembling mosaics of many scans
from blueprints, etc.

Regards,

Orrin