Don Foreman

Default LED flashlights -- a phlashlite phreak's phavorite

There's a bewildering myriad of LED flashlights out there to choose
from.

My personal favorite is, unfortunately, no longer available. It was
only marketed for a few months. It is a Cosmos 1-watt Luxeon lite
with a granular reflector, runs off a single 123 cell. It's
considerably brighter than a Minimag 2AA with a uniform spot, no
patterning. Its light output is constant from new cell to 95% dead.
It's only 3-3/4" long x 1.080 dia. I have it in my pocket all of
the time, use it several times a day. With that sort of use, a
cell lasts somewhat over a month. Jerry Martes reports similar usage
and experience.

I've been carrying it long enough now that some of the black anodizing
has worn off.

Cosmos still offers that light with a 3-watt Luxeon, which I think is
overkill for everyday use and wasteful of battery life.

Eric R Snow

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 14:04:04 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

[...]

Don,
Is there any way you could make a mold of that reflector? I would even
send you some silicone rubber mold making stuff if you wanted to. The
reflector design you have works well but seems to be rare in
flashlights. I think I can use a silicone mold and conductive paint to
electroplate a good reflector.
Eric
Don Foreman

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:51:50 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

Don,
Is there any way you could make a mold of that reflector? I would even
send you some silicone rubber mold making stuff if you wanted to. The
reflector design you have works well but seems to be rare in
flashlights. I think I can use a silicone mold and conductive paint to
electroplate a good reflector.
Eric

Maybe. Let's take this offline, Eric.
I have your email addy that worked a few months ago.

dg

I was just given a Surefire L2 as a gift. Its incredible and I never knew
an LED flashlight could put out that kind of light-100 lumens on the high
output mode, 15 lumens on low. Its a 5w I think, and runs on two 3v lithium
cells (which have gotten WAY cheaper in recent times). It's something I
would not be likely to buy myself at $165, but its super cool. Check out
the surefire lineup.

--Dan