Leo Lichtman

Default Dumbest thing

Gary Brady wrote: (clip) that red button was covered in the same green
paint that covered everything else. it had flaked a bit, revealing a hint
of red.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gary was referring to the reset button on his old compressor. This is a
good candidate to start a new series: "The dumbest, most unmechanical thing
I've ever seen anyone do."

DeepDiver

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
Gary Brady wrote: (clip) that red button was covered in the same green
paint that covered everything else. it had flaked a bit, revealing a hint
of red.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gary was referring to the reset button on his old compressor. This is a
good candidate to start a new series: "The dumbest, most unmechanical
thing I've ever seen anyone do."

How about this:

In a recent lot of miscellaneous tools I purchased, was a very nice,
expensive, precision Mitutoyo micrometer... that someone had placed vise
grips on both the adjusting barrel and the lock ring in order to try to
unscrew the lock ring. Needless to say the micrometer head was totally
chewed up.

Broke my heart to see that.

- Michael

Rex B

Leo Lichtman wrote:
Gary Brady wrote: (clip) that red button was covered in the same green
paint that covered everything else. it had flaked a bit, revealing a hint
of red.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gary was referring to the reset button on his old compressor. This is a
good candidate to start a new series: "The dumbest, most unmechanical thing
I've ever seen anyone do."

I actually wrote that, but in light of your comment, I'll gladly let
Gary take the credit
Leo Lichtman

"Rex B" wrote: I actually wrote that (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry, Rex. My bad. I'll take this opportunity to add my item to the list
of dumb, disgusting things: I have a Bosch and Lomb stereo zoom microscope
on which the eyepieces look like they were cleaned with steel wool.

Oh, and another one: I have a chisel on which someone replaced the handle
with cheap wood. Of course, it split, so they repaired it with nails.

ATP*

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
Gary Brady wrote: (clip) that red button was covered in the same green
paint that covered everything else. it had flaked a bit, revealing a hint
of red.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gary was referring to the reset button on his old compressor. This is a
good candidate to start a new series: "The dumbest, most unmechanical
thing I've ever seen anyone do."

I saw a shaper at an auction that was spray painted forest green- ways and
everything, all encased in thick enamel paint.

DeepDiver

"ATP*" wrote in message

I saw a shaper at an auction that was spray painted forest green- ways and
everything, all encased in thick enamel paint.

Certainly dumb and annoying, but at least it's a reversible problem. In
fact, it simply means that an industrious buyer will likely get a better
deal because so many other buyer's won't want to be bothered stripping the
paint.

What chaps me are the people who really mistreat and abuse fine tools.

- Michael

The Davenport's

I saw a shaper at an auction that was spray painted forest green- ways
and everything, all encased in thick enamel paint.

Certainly dumb and annoying, but at least it's a reversible problem. In
fact, it simply means that an industrious buyer will likely get a better
deal because so many other buyer's won't want to be bothered stripping the
paint.

What chaps me are the people who really mistreat and abuse fine tools.

- Michael

And on the "abuse fine tools" note...worst one I ever saw was a welder dude
going around the shop "borrowing" micrometers...he didn't pay much attention
to the whole "asking before using" rule and using them for clamping a
weldment! destroyed 8 1" mikes which the shop replaced followed by the
replacement of the welder dude.

Mike

Erik

And on the "abuse fine tools" note...worst one I ever saw was a welder dude
going around the shop "borrowing" micrometers...he didn't pay much attention
to the whole "asking before using" rule and using them for clamping a
weldment! destroyed 8 1" mikes which the shop replaced followed by the
replacement of the welder dude.

Mike

I saw a clown doing this in A&P school of all places... he called them
'ratcheting' C-Clamps as I recall...

Erik
Tim Killian

We had a fellow from the loading dock "borrow" a gage block off a
surface plate in the lab, and use it as a door stop while he unloaded
some stuff from his car. He couldn't understand why everyone was so
upset over a chunk of steel...

The Davenport's wrote:
I saw a shaper at an auction that was spray painted forest green- ways
and everything, all encased in thick enamel paint.

Certainly dumb and annoying, but at least it's a reversible problem. In
fact, it simply means that an industrious buyer will likely get a better
deal because so many other buyer's won't want to be bothered stripping the
paint.

What chaps me are the people who really mistreat and abuse fine tools.

- Michael

And on the "abuse fine tools" note...worst one I ever saw was a welder dude
going around the shop "borrowing" micrometers...he didn't pay much attention
to the whole "asking before using" rule and using them for clamping a
weldment! destroyed 8 1" mikes which the shop replaced followed by the
replacement of the welder dude.

Mike

Rich

I was looking through some steel scraps, trying to make up a shim pack
for my lathe, when I happened to notice the name "Johannson" etched in
one of them. (I went back into a different drawer)

Rich

The Davenport's wrote:

I saw a shaper at an auction that was spray painted forest green-
ways and everything, all encased in thick enamel paint.

Certainly dumb and annoying, but at least it's a reversible problem.
In fact, it simply means that an industrious buyer will likely get a
better deal because so many other buyer's won't want to be bothered
stripping the paint.

What chaps me are the people who really mistreat and abuse fine tools.

- Michael

And on the "abuse fine tools" note...worst one I ever saw was a welder
dude going around the shop "borrowing" micrometers...he didn't pay
much attention to the whole "asking before using" rule and using them
for clamping a weldment! destroyed 8 1" mikes which the shop replaced
followed by the replacement of the welder dude.

Mike

Gunner Asch

The Davenport's wrote:
I saw a shaper at an auction that was spray painted forest green- ways
and everything, all encased in thick enamel paint.

Certainly dumb and annoying, but at least it's a reversible problem. In
fact, it simply means that an industrious buyer will likely get a better
deal because so many other buyer's won't want to be bothered stripping the
paint.

What chaps me are the people who really mistreat and abuse fine tools.

- Michael

And on the "abuse fine tools" note...worst one I ever saw was a welder dude
going around the shop "borrowing" micrometers...he didn't pay much attention
to the whole "asking before using" rule and using them for clamping a
weldment! destroyed 8 1" mikes which the shop replaced followed by the
replacement of the welder dude.

Mike

Ive got a near new Starett machinists level, in the box, in my curio
cabinet. The owners 14yr old son decided to see how much pressure the
Hydraulic H Frame press would produce..so put it on end...under the
ram.

Ever see a new new Starett machinists level that looks like a banana?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Jeff Wisnia

Tim Killian wrote:

snipped

And on the "abuse fine tools" note...worst one I ever saw was a welder
dude going around the shop "borrowing" micrometers...he didn't pay
much attention to the whole "asking before using" rule and using them
for clamping a weldment! destroyed 8 1" mikes which the shop replaced
followed by the replacement of the welder dude.

Mike

I did something similar as a practical joke on Sven, the head model shop
toolmaker at my first job.

With the encouragement of my buddies, who were watching out of the
corners of their eyes, I asked Sven to loan me his one inch mike, then
surreptitiously swapped it for a two inch C-clamp as I walked away from
him. When I got to where I was working on something in a relay rack I
pretended to use his mike to clamp a panel in place making a great show
of straining my arm to tighten it down.

Sven practically broke a leg running across the shop screaming at me.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Tim Killian wrote back on
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:32:59 -0600 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
We had a fellow from the loading dock "borrow" a gage block off a
surface plate in the lab, and use it as a door stop while he unloaded
some stuff from his car. He couldn't understand why everyone was so
upset over a chunk of steel...

I recall reading in a similar thread years ago, of the property
management office, which took the collection of standard weights, and
drilled a hole in each to rivet a property tag too.
then wondered why they were not accepted by the ordering department.
--
pyotr filipivich.
Gerald Miller

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:01:54 -0400, "ATP*" wrote:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
Gary Brady wrote: (clip) that red button was covered in the same green
paint that covered everything else. it had flaked a bit, revealing a hint
of red.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gary was referring to the reset button on his old compressor. This is a
good candidate to start a new series: "The dumbest, most unmechanical
thing I've ever seen anyone do."

I saw a shaper at an auction that was spray painted forest green- ways and
everything, all encased in thick enamel paint.

Anyone remember Roxatone paint from the late '50s? I once worked in
rented office space that had been freshly decorated even the door knob
with gray Roxatone.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Christopher Tidy

I saw something really, really dumb recently, but right now I can't
remember what it was.

In the meantime, I think folks here will like this:

http://www.funny-games.biz/videos/16...uchweight.html

Sorry about the ads. It's worth enduring them to see the video.

Chris

Jeff Wisnia

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Gary Brady wrote: (clip) that red button was covered in the same green
paint that covered everything else. it had flaked a bit, revealing a hint
of red.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gary was referring to the reset button on his old compressor. This is a
good candidate to start a new series: "The dumbest, most unmechanical thing
I've ever seen anyone do."

SWMBO will likely shut me off for a month if she happens onto this post,
but about 30 years ago, a few days after we first met, She invited to
her apartment.

She had just wallpapered the kitchen by herself, and instead of removing
the wall plates on the light switch and outlets she'd pasted the
wallpaper right over them and cut a little hole through the paper for
the light switch toggle.

The appliance cord plugs were just pushed through the paper into the
outlets. Luckily it wasn't a foil wallpaper G

Somehow I kept my big mouth shut, but looking at those plug blades
pushed right through the wallpaper got me wondering if maybe she kept
her pantyhose on when she.......

Jeff (Wishing a Happy Jewish New Year to all celebrating it next week.)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Gunner Asch

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 13:30:06 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

[...]

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff (Wishing a Happy Jewish New Year to all celebrating it next week.)

for torturing the cat." Gunner
jim rozen

In article , Gunner Asch says...

Somehow I kept my big mouth shut, but looking at those plug blades
pushed right through the wallpaper got me wondering if maybe she kept
her pantyhose on when she.......

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh. Two wire, or three-wire??

Jim

please reply to:
Jeff Wisnia

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gunner Asch says...

Somehow I kept my big mouth shut, but looking at those plug blades
pushed right through the wallpaper got me wondering if maybe she kept
her pantyhose on when she.......

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh. Two wire, or three-wire??

Jim

TWO of course. I *said* it was 30 years ago, and it was an old
apartment. I's doubt if it even had ground conductors running with the
hots and neutrals.

But, since you brought it up in what I presume was intended to be a
light hearted purulent vein, I feel obligated to respond with something
relative to a two blade male plug:

There was a young lady from Natchez,
Who chanced to be born with two snatches.
She often said, "****!
Why, I'd give my left tit,
For a man with equipment that matches."

And, though yesterday I made fun of SWMBO for being born without a
technogene, and it's true that she sometimes has trouble operating an
electric can opener, that's compensated by her extra compassion gene.

She has been helping children and adults with developmental disabilities
and learning difficulties for over 35 years, something I sure can't do.

Shameless brag:

http://www.wkrp.org

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

gfulton

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..
jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gunner Asch

says...

Somehow I kept my big mouth shut, but looking at those plug blades
pushed right through the wallpaper got me wondering if maybe she kept
her pantyhose on when she.......

It's not too hard to figure out if a lady doesn't take them off during the
nasty. Look inside the foot section. When the toes curl on the downstroke,
you can see where her nails abraded the material. That's one serious method
of contraception, though.

Jim Stewart

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Leo Lichtman wrote:

[...]

Remindes me of when we had our parking
lot repaved. About 2 weeks later, the
water meter reader came in the office
wondering where our meter went....

Leo Lichtman

"Jim Stewart" wrote: Remindes me of when we had our parking lot repaved.
About 2 weeks later, the water meter reader came in the office wondering
where our meter went....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ah, and that reminds ME. Our neighbor had someone come in and pour concrete
from his foundation to the property line. The ends of all the downspouts on
that side are now buried in concrete.

Referring to Dave's post about Altzheimers and the extension cord: I KNOW
this is wrong, but somehow I feel that there is not as much voltage drop if
I don't uncoil the cord all the way.

Dave August

Hell Leo,

The magnetic field generated by 150 ft of cord in coil drawing 18 amps
scared the **** outta me..

I did theater work many years ago and one evening on a raod show the main
lighting guy got in a hurry and coiled up about 200 ft of wire feeding the
light board... he also had left a light mount bracket in the center.. when
he powered up the board the damn bracket stood on end!!! Granted this was
about 100 amps and it was a tight coil but.....

And the V drop has nothing to do with the coil.. it's all based on
resitance.. with that crappy 18/2 wire and the crappy connection in the
plug/sockets, YIKES!

Dave

Referring to Dave's post about Altzheimers and the extension cord: I KNOW
this is wrong, but somehow I feel that there is not as much voltage drop
if I don't uncoil the cord all the way.

Jeff Wisnia

Dave August wrote:
Hell Leo,

The magnetic field generated by 150 ft of cord in coil drawing 18 amps
scared the **** outta me..

I did theater work many years ago and one evening on a raod show the main
lighting guy got in a hurry and coiled up about 200 ft of wire feeding the
light board... he also had left a light mount bracket in the center.. when
he powered up the board the damn bracket stood on end!!! Granted this was
about 100 amps and it was a tight coil but.....

If you were describing a coil of two or three wire cord, then....

Idon't understand why the two magnetic fields from the outgoing and
return currents didn't cancel each other nearly completely.

Only way I can see something like this happening is if there was a short
to ground at the far end so there was no return current. And even then,
what was the ac magnetic field working against anyway?

I'm not saying you didn't see what you saw, Leo, but I doubt that it was
caused by a magnetic field.

And the V drop has nothing to do with the coil.. it's all based on
resitance.. with that crappy 18/2 wire and the crappy connection in the
plug/sockets, YIKES!

Here we agree...

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

David Harmon

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 00:23:09 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking, "Dave
August" wrote,
And the V drop has nothing to do with the coil.. it's all based on
resitance.. with that crappy 18/2 wire and the crappy connection in the
plug/sockets, YIKES!

The V drop has nothing to do with the coil, but the T rise does.

Sunworshipper

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 23:29:50 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote: Remindes me of when we had our parking lot repaved.
About 2 weeks later, the water meter reader came in the office wondering
where our meter went....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ah, and that reminds ME. Our neighbor had someone come in and pour concrete
from his foundation to the property line. The ends of all the downspouts on
that side are now buried in concrete.

Reminds me of a pool I had to repair and they had poured the deck a
few days earlier. They didn't put the lid rings over the skimmer or
the auto fill and just filled them up with concrete. They did a great
job troweling and cool decking around the test plug sticking out above
the concrete for the skimmer. It must have been very embarrassing to
jack hammer a brand new deck and replace them. Nothing like having a
qualified licensed contractor on your job.
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Jim Stewart wrote back on
Sat, 01 Oct 2005 15:22:41 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Leo Lichtman wrote:

[...]

Or the stories of the people who have their septic tank needing
cleaning, and then discover that the opening is somewhere under the slab of
the extension to the house.

--
pyotr filipivich.
Leo Lichtman

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: (clip) looking at those plug blades pushed right
through the wallpaper got me wondering if maybe she kept her pantyhose on
when she.......
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's shocking!

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 13:30:06 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Jeff
Wisnia quickly quoth:

The appliance cord plugs were just pushed through the paper into the
outlets. Luckily it wasn't a foil wallpaper G

Somehow I kept my big mouth shut, but looking at those plug blades
pushed right through the wallpaper got me wondering if maybe she kept
her pantyhose on when she.......

....did it and watched her toes curl up at every thrust. BTDT.

Jeff (Wishing a Happy Jewish New Year to all celebrating it next week.)

Every time I hear the words "Rosh Hashana" I think of little Rosanna
Rosannadanna and giggle.

--
"Simplicity of life, even the barest, is not misery but
the very foundation of refinement." --William Morris

jim rozen

In article , Larry Jaques says...

...did it and watched her toes curl up at every thrust. BTDT.

Or the story that ends with the comment: "Oh that's all right
luv, you just tucked in a bit of my scarf!"

Jim

please reply to:
*

The dumbest thing I've done recently is to open one of Cliff's posts and
expect some sort of metalworking content........

Dave August

I have a not too mechanically inclined friend who really shouldn't own a
hand drill, but he does... what's worse it it's a reversable kind...
I can't tell you how many times I've been around when he pushing like mad
and complaining it won't drill a hole... uh yup, he's running in reverse...
:-)

I have another old geezer friend who used to be sharp as a tack, but old age
and Alzheimer's is taking it's toll... He called me over the other day to
ask for some help replacing a circuit breaker, seems his compressor was
triping the breaker and he though it was bad... So I wanderd by and lo and
behold he's got 150 feet of 18/2 extension cord (all in a plile) hooked to
the compressor. I gently point out that the reason the breaker is trippping
is because the compressor is stalling when it tries to start if it's got any
kind of pressure in the tank, I again gently explain that it's the voltage
drop across 150 feet of extension cord at 18 amps that's the real problem...
did I mention this was three 50 footers end to end and each plug/socket was
hot as hell too... Anyway my old pal get's a "Ahh I see" kinda look on his
face, unplugs ONE of the cords, plugs the other two in and the compressor
turns over and he's happy as a clam.. totaly ignoring my pleads about get
rid of all the cords.. which he didn't need anyway the damn compressor was 2
feet from the wall socket... What's really sad is 10 years ago this guy
would have known himself not to even do this.. sigh

Dave

Nokia Digivision 6352 nicam.....Can i some how reset this thing ??? MrDude Electronics Repair 0 May 21st 05 04:01 PM
Recessed Lights - Back Covers - Is there such a thing? TheScullster UK diy 6 April 27th 04 10:21 PM
OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
Is there any such thing as a wood filler that doesn't crack? Alex UK diy 1 September 9th 03 05:31 PM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM