JR North

Default OT - Heating with Wood

A fireplace insert with fan is basic for getting some decent heating
performance.
Top Drawer: I have a large fireplace w/doors in the livingroom. It has
an integral fan forced heat exchanger that blows out the bottom of the
unit. The thermostatically controlled fan unit is mounted outside on the
side of the house. The exchanger is also ducted into the house's
fan-forced natural gas heating duct system. A shift of the duct lever,
and the fireplace heats the whole house.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Considering the projected high cost of heating this winter and to
supply an alternate heat source in case of fuel/electricity loss, I am
considering installing supplemental heating fueled by wood.

Since in the past this group has been a fountain of good information, I
thought I would ask for your advice.

I would like to hear of your experiences, recommendations for suppliers
and suggestions for installation.

Thanks in advance,

TMT

Dependence is Vulnerability: