DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   double headed coin (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/120405-double-headed-coin.html)

doomtrain September 11th 05 06:23 AM

double headed coin

I was wondering if anyone would know where I could have a double headed
coin made. I have both coins and would like to know if theres such a
place or person that I could hire to have that done. thanks.

Roger_Nickel September 11th 05 06:56 AM

doomtrain wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would know where I could have a double headed
coin made. I have both coins and would like to know if theres such a
place or person that I could hire to have that done. thanks.

get two coins, mill them down to half thickness; solder the two
halves together. Any machinist could do this. Whether they would
want to is another matter.

Abrasha September 11th 05 07:08 AM

doomtrain wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would know where I could have a double headed
coin made. I have both coins and would like to know if theres such a
place or person that I could hire to have that done. thanks.

I have done this several times with nickels. The instructions for it I
found once in this news group. Quite easy to do.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Jeff R September 11th 05 08:50 AM

"Abrasha" wrote in message
doomtrain wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would know where I could have a double headed
coin made. I have both coins and would like to know if theres such a
place or person that I could hire to have that done. thanks.

I have done this several times with nickels. The instructions for it I
found once in this news group. Quite easy to do.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Indeed.
....and *don't* mill both faces flat. The join is then way too easy to spot.
Instead, turn a recess in one face, leaving the rim intact.
Then turn the other coin to fit the recess.
A good press fit won't require solder, and if turned coincident with the rim
will be virtually undetectable.

A fun exercise - but if you just want a double-header, they're available for
a few bucks on the 'net. Google is your friend.

--
Jeff R.

Mike Young September 11th 05 01:16 PM

"Jeff R" wrote in message
u...
Then turn the other coin to fit the recess.
A good press fit won't require solder, and if turned coincident with the
rim
will be virtually undetectable.

So, how do you hold it to turn down the rim?

A fun exercise - but if you just want a double-header, they're available
for

:)

jim rozen September 11th 05 02:57 PM

In article , Mike Young says...

So, how do you hold it to turn down the rim?

One way would be with a pot collet and a pressure pad in the
tailstock.

The recess in the collet should be less than half the thickness
of the coin - you'll need a setup like that anyway to face off
half the thickness.

So the drill would be: Put coin in pot collet, apply pressure
via tailstock pad to face of coin. Turn half the rim down to
the reduced diameter. Then swap to the second pot collet,
which has a diamter sized for the turned-down portion. Install
the coin the other way around and turn down the remaining half
of the rim diameter.

Then in the same setup pull back the pressure pad and carefully
face half the thickness away.

The advantage of the bore and press approach is you can do this
on coins with "coining" (the knurling around the circumference)
without having to match up the knurling when supergluing them
together.

Jim

please reply to:

Roger Shoaf September 11th 05 03:47 PM

Which would be better, super glue or solder?

--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
Congress?

In article , Mike Young says...

Jeff Wisnia September 11th 05 05:08 PM

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Mike Young says...

[...]

What's the best way to hold the other coin, the one you bore out?

I'd think a soft collet recessed to suit ought to be safer than a chuck.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Dave Hinz September 11th 05 06:14 PM

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:50:24 +1000, Jeff R wrote:

...and *don't* mill both faces flat. The join is then way too easy to spot.
Instead, turn a recess in one face, leaving the rim intact.

OK, that's easy, but:

Then turn the other coin to fit the recess.

How do I hold it while I'm turning the OD, please?

Harold and Susan Vordos September 11th 05 06:48 PM

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
snip---

What's the best way to hold the other coin, the one you bore out?

I'd think a soft collet recessed to suit ought to be safer than a chuck.

Jeff

Soft jaws. They don't crush or distort, nor do they move in a lateral
direction when tightened, unlike a collet. They're also very fast and
precise.

Harold

Abrasha September 11th 05 06:53 PM

Roger_Nickel wrote:
doomtrain wrote:

I was wondering if anyone would know where I could have a double headed
coin made. I have both coins and would like to know if theres such a
place or person that I could hire to have that done. thanks.

get two coins, mill them down to half thickness; solder the two halves
together. Any machinist could do this. Whether they would want to is
another matter.

No, this is absolutely the wrong way to do this.

The right way is to bore out one side of one coin, do the same with a
second identical coin, remove the edge of that second coin and then
press fit that into the bored out space of the first coin.

Soldering two halves anneals the coins, and results in a coin that makes
a thud on a hard surface when dropped. IF you are even capable of
soldering the two halves together accurately which is highly questionable.

Using "my" (I did not invent this) method, results in a double headed
coin, that sounds just like a regular one when dropped onto a hard surface.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Abrasha September 11th 05 06:55 PM

Roger Shoaf wrote:
Which would be better, super glue or solder?

Neither, press fit is the better solution.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

James Waldby September 11th 05 07:45 PM

Dave Hinz wrote:
... Jeff R ... wrote:

...and *don't* mill both faces flat. The join is then way
too easy to spot. Instead, turn a recess in one face,
leaving the rim intact.

OK, that's easy, but:

Then turn the other coin to fit the recess.

How do I hold it while I'm turning the OD, please?

See Jim Rozen's post, and also see text and pictures at:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...s/nickel21.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...s/nickel22.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...s/nickel23.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ickel2head.txt
from "Two headed nickel" r.c.m thread of August 2003,
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...aded+nickel%22

That google groups page also lists a couple of 2-headed-
coin suppliers, like another poster mentioned. However,
the coins the OP wants joined are silver dollars, rather
than nickels or quarters. Although his email to me didn't
say, I presume that by silver dollars he means some pre-1935
coins, not Eisenhower's, Anthony's or Sacagawea's .
-jiw

Dave Hinz September 11th 05 07:57 PM

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:45:48 -0600, James Waldby wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:
How do I hold it while I'm turning the OD, please?

See Jim Rozen's post, and also see text and pictures at:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...s/nickel21.jpg

Thanks, James (and Jim)!

Dave

doomtrain September 11th 05 10:28 PM

Correct these dollars are 1885 silver dollars.

Jeff Wisnia September 12th 05 01:19 AM

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
snip---

What's the best way to hold the other coin, the one you bore out?

I'd think a soft collet recessed to suit ought to be safer than a chuck.

Jeff

Soft jaws. They don't crush or distort, nor do they move in a lateral
direction when tightened, unlike a collet.

"Lateral"? I'd call it "axial" like the collet and work moves along the
axis of the spindle, toward the headstock, when tightened.

Then again, they do move laterally when viewed from where you usually
stand relative to a lathe, so I guess either description is correct. :-)

They're also very fast and
precise.

Agreed,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Abrasha September 12th 05 02:44 AM

James Waldby wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

... Jeff R ... wrote:

...and *don't* mill both faces flat. The join is then way
too easy to spot. Instead, turn a recess in one face,
leaving the rim intact.

OK, that's easy, but:

Then turn the other coin to fit the recess.

How do I hold it while I'm turning the OD, please?

See Jim Rozen's post, and also see text and pictures at:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...s/nickel21.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...s/nickel22.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...s/nickel23.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...ickel2head.txt
from "Two headed nickel" r.c.m thread of August 2003,
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...aded+nickel%22

Those were exactly the instructions I was talking about before.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Jim Sehr September 12th 05 03:51 AM

The retired two headed nickle pictures show how I made
the two headed nickle. But I have more pictures if anyone
would like to see them. I used a soft collet but soft jaws would work just
fine. I gave all the ones I made to friends
or I would send one to doomtrain.
Jim Sehr
Email me if you would like pics and I will find them on my hard drive and
send them to you.
"Abrasha" wrote in message

Harold and Susan Vordos September 12th 05 04:40 AM

" Jim Sehr" wrote in message
The retired two headed nickle pictures show how I made
the two headed nickle. But I have more pictures if anyone
would like to see them. I used a soft collet but soft jaws would work just
fine.

They're far better suited to the application than a collet. Collets are
influenced by the diameter of the object, so they don't close in the same
place each time---limiting your ability to control thickness to some degree.
If you have a Hardinge-Sjogren collet chuck, it's even more pronounced.
Soft jaws, properly bored with a step, eliminate that problem and hold the
coin perfectly perpendicular.

Harold

Abrasha September 12th 05 07:44 AM

" Jim Sehr" wrote in message

The retired two headed nickle pictures show how I made
the two headed nickle. But I have more pictures if anyone
would like to see them. I used a soft collet but soft jaws would work

just
fine.

They're far better suited to the application than a collet. Collets are
influenced by the diameter of the object, so they don't close in the same
place each time---limiting your ability to control thickness to some

degree.
If you have a Hardinge-Sjogren collet chuck, it's even more pronounced.
Soft jaws, properly bored with a step, eliminate that problem and

hold the
coin perfectly perpendicular.

Harold

I used external gripping step collet from my lathe. I have a two sets
of 5 internal and external step collets especially made for it. They
worked perfectly for this.

See http://www.lathes.co.uk/tos/page3.html (bottom photo)

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Harold and Susan Vordos September 12th 05 08:45 AM

" Jim Sehr" wrote in message

[...]

Where that kind of setup tends to fall short is in holding items when
production machining and you rely on fixed register points (the step in a
collet, or step chuck, for example).. Mind you, I'm not suggesting that
they don't work well----far from it. It's just that there are times when a
thou makes a huge difference, and collets generally won't register close
enough to hold the tolerance. I'm not speaking of concentricity, but
holding lengths. Soft jaws are repeatedly reliable for that operation.
I've run countless production jobs by both methods and have resorted to a
fixed stop in the spindle of a machine in lieu of relying on a collet with a
step, or collet stop, when collets were better adapted to the job at hand.
Small parts run at high spindle speed is a good example. Do keep in mind
I use a Hardinge-Sjogren collet chuck. A lathe equipped with a lever closer
is more likely to repeat, but only when each item is held to a close holding
diameter, wavering no more than a thou.

Harold

jim rozen September 12th 05 01:23 PM

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

[...]

Remember this is a one- or two-off project though.

But you are of course 100% correct. Even good lever closers won't hold
even a halfway decent length tolerance plain collets. Story:

Say one had an elderly parent who spent a *lot* of time in a hospital this
summer. Further consider that said hospital wanted to ding the relatives
two bucks each time they exited the parking lot. But they had a token
system so the relatives didn't have to plug in two bucks of quarters
at the exit gate.

Further imagine that the tokens were nothing more than brass slugs with
some fancy stamped designe and a raised rim. And that a trial effort at
reproducing one worked splendidly.

Then consider that one might just possibly have a hardinge turret lathe
at one's disposal.

The problem one finds is that the only way to accurately get the thickness
of the part under control is:

a) barfeed the stock to a stop in the turret,

b) perform a facing operation to set the extension of the stock from
the collet, within a thou, and

c) parting off the slug from the stock with the cutoff tool.

Because the stock draws back into the spindle a large (over 15 thou)
and non-repeatable (+/- five thou or so) one *has* to waste material
and another operation to get the thickness tolerance inside a thousanth.

All, hypothetically speaking of course.

Jim

please reply to:

Abrasha September 12th 05 06:53 PM

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

I used external gripping step collet from my lathe. I have a two sets
of 5 internal and external step collets especially made for it. They
worked perfectly for this.

See http://www.lathes.co.uk/tos/page3.html (bottom photo)

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Where that kind of setup tends to fall short is in holding items when
production machining and you rely on fixed register points

I am certain that the original poster is not interested in doing
production machining of double headed coins. That IS the subject of
this thread. This was the original post:

"I was wondering if anyone would know where I could have a double headed
coin made. I have both coins and would like to know if theres such a
place or person that I could hire to have that done. thanks."

As you can see, he just wanted ONE double headed coin made.

A lathe equipped with a lever closer
is more likely to repeat, but only when each item is held to a close holding
diameter, wavering no more than a thou.

My lathe is equipped with a lever closer See
http://www.lathes.co.uk/tos/page3.html, and as far as I know nickels are
within a couple thousands of each other. Nickels being the only coins I
have made double headers out of.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Harold and Susan Vordos September 12th 05 07:49 PM

"Abrasha" wrote in message
[...]

So you're suggesting that learning something that he may not have previously
known is bad?

If not, and you're trying to extol the virtues of collets to someone that
has used them for a lifetime, you're wasting your time. I've yet to find a
collet that will duplicate the performance of soft jaws-----the sole
exception being when the parts are small and *not* short. You can include
step chucks in my comments, of which I own several, including the closers.
I also have internal collets. Machining wasn't a hobby for me, it was my
livelihood, one I took very seriously. I'm not exactly short on experience.

You seem to misunderstand that I'm not bad mouthing your setup-----which I'm
sure worked adequately for your purpose. Assuming one has a lathe and a
three jaw chuck that accommodates soft jaws, do you really think they'd
benefit by buying the collet setup to machine these coins when it can be
done by simply machining existing soft jaws? I'd have the job run before
you'd returned from town with the collet.

Be certain to read Jim's post. There are times when collets simply fall
right on their collective asses. That was, and is, my point.

Harold

Abrasha September 13th 05 04:49 AM

"Abrasha" wrote in message

[...]

No, at least not intentionally

If not, and you're trying to extol the virtues of collets to someone that
has used them for a lifetime, you're wasting your time. I've yet to find a
collet that will duplicate the performance of soft jaws-----the sole
exception being when the parts are small and *not* short. You can include
step chucks in my comments, of which I own several, including the closers.
I also have internal collets. Machining wasn't a hobby for me, it was my
livelihood, one I took very seriously. I'm not exactly short on experience.

You seem to misunderstand that I'm not bad mouthing your setup

I did not take it as such.

-----which I'm
sure worked adequately for your purpose.

It did indeed.

Assuming one has a lathe and a
three jaw chuck that accommodates soft jaws, do you really think they'd
benefit by buying the collet setup to machine these coins when it can be
done by simply machining existing soft jaws? I'd have the job run before
you'd returned from town with the collet.

You're probably right.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Roger Shoaf September 14th 05 06:58 AM

[...]

Why beat around the bush, tell how you really feel.

Harold and Susan Vordos September 14th 05 09:21 AM

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

snip--

Be certain to read Jim's post. There are times when collets simply

fall
right on their collective asses. That was, and is, my point.

Why beat around the bush, tell how you really feel.

--
Roger Shoaf

Chuckle!

Words seem to fail me! :-)

Harold

jim rozen September 14th 05 01:30 PM

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

You seem to misunderstand that I'm not bad mouthing your setup-----which I'm
sure worked adequately for your purpose. Assuming one has a lathe and a
three jaw chuck that accommodates soft jaws, do you really think they'd
benefit by buying the collet setup to machine these coins when it can be
done by simply machining existing soft jaws? I'd have the job run before
you'd returned from town with the collet.

One of the deals with soft-jaw chucks is, they're pretty expensive.

They work *great* in a production environment. We used them exclusively
at Timco when making crane sheaves. In fact each job has their own set
of (expensive) jaws on the shelf (and this was a big set of shelves,
six feet high and 8 feet long) that went with each jobs mandrel.
They were real time-saver.

But hobby machinist can't really afford a chuck like that - and soft
jaws on a chuck with a worn scroll don't repeat *that* well.

I've gotten to like the somewhat oversize six jaw adjust true chuck
(it's an 8" chuck on my 10" SB, looks too big to work but seems to
do just fine) that I bought before Dave Ficken went out of business.

Jim

please reply to:

[email protected] September 14th 05 03:54 PM

I am not trying to say that you don't know the best way to do this.
But as a hobbiest without a lathe with collets or a chuck that
accomodates soft jaws, I think I would try chucking a bit of stock in
the lathe, turning the diameter to the diameter of a Nickle, recessing
the center slightly so the nickle seats on the rim and then glueing a
nickle to the stock using the tailstock to hold it while the adhesive
sets. After machining then heating to soften the adhesive. Hot melt
adhesive might work for this as long as one took light cuts.

Dan

Boris Beizer September 14th 05 04:32 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am not trying to say that you don't know the best way to do this.
snip Hot melt
adhesive might work for this as long as one took light cuts.

A standard Jewelry apprentice task was to take a dime (they were almost pure
silver when I did this) and cut it in half .. the thin way .. using a
jeweler's saw. Actually, you had to do two dimes that way. Then you
soldered the two heads back to back. It took me many years to accomplish
the task and unfortunately, I long ago lost both the two-headed and the
two-tailed dimes. That's the right way to do the trick.
One can cheat and file the one side off the two dimes and then
solder them together. Not all that difficult to do with soft solders. With
silver solder is it much, much, harder to do.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D.

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" earthlink.net

Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter September 14th 05 07:22 PM

The (inexpensive) Taig 3 jaw chuck uses soft aluminum top jaws that
are machinable just like the big guys. they are not repeatable once
removed and replaced though...

jim rozen September 14th 05 08:24 PM

In article , Felice Luftschein and
Nicholas Carter says...

The (inexpensive) Taig 3 jaw chuck uses soft aluminum top jaws that
are machinable just like the big guys. they are not repeatable once
removed and replaced though...

Interesting. Even *good* chucks with soft jaws don't repeat that
well when swapping between sets. We used to have to true up
soft jaws after a few go-rounds because the teeth would wear a
bit, and the aluminum would get beat up over time.

And here I'm talking about a five thousand dollar chuck.

Jim

please reply to:

Chuck Sherwood September 14th 05 08:29 PM

sets. After machining then heating to soften the adhesive. Hot melt
adhesive might work for this as long as one took light cuts.

I use super glue for things like this. A little heat and they slide
right off. It is best to cut some rings in the end of the rod to
improve the bond.

Harold and Susan Vordos September 15th 05 05:08 AM

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Felice Luftschein

and
Nicholas Carter says...

The (inexpensive) Taig 3 jaw chuck uses soft aluminum top jaws that
are machinable just like the big guys. they are not repeatable once
removed and replaced though...

Interesting. Even *good* chucks with soft jaws don't repeat that
well when swapping between sets. We used to have to true up
soft jaws after a few go-rounds because the teeth would wear a
bit, and the aluminum would get beat up over time.

And here I'm talking about a five thousand dollar chuck.

Jim

I've never been able to put soft jaws back where they came from and have
them run true. There's simply too many places for error to
accrue-----particularly when one expects them to run within .0005", and I
do. Yes, mine are numbered, too.

The method I use for machining them provides for skim cuts to have them run
true once again--so reinstalling them endlessly causes almost zero loss. I
use an adjustable "spider" to preload the jaws, setting them such that only
a few thou need be removed to get them running true, and to size. I
also have a weird habit of holding parts to a uniform size, so they can be
run in soft jaws successfully. It's a way of life with me.

Harold

DoN. Nichols September 15th 05 06:05 AM

According to jim rozen :

[ ... ]

But hobby machinist can't really afford a chuck like that - and soft
jaws on a chuck with a worn scroll don't repeat *that* well.

How expensive a chuck do you think that you need? I got a very
nice Bison 6-1/4" 3-jaw with two-piece jaws, which is all that you need
to allow you to use soft jaws. You can then either purchase the soft
jaws (fairly expensive), or machine your own, if you have a mill. A
horizontal mill would be excellent for making batches of soft jaws of
whatever material suited your needs -- mild steel, aluminum, brass?
(I've never seen brass top jaws, but other than the slightly greater
expense of the metal, does anyone know why it would not serve?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Harold and Susan Vordos September 15th 05 07:05 AM

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
According to jim rozen :

[ ... ]

But hobby machinist can't really afford a chuck like that - and soft
jaws on a chuck with a worn scroll don't repeat *that* well.

How expensive a chuck do you think that you need? I got a very
nice Bison 6-1/4" 3-jaw with two-piece jaws, which is all that you need
to allow you to use soft jaws. You can then either purchase the soft
jaws (fairly expensive), or machine your own, if you have a mill. A
horizontal mill would be excellent for making batches of soft jaws of
whatever material suited your needs -- mild steel, aluminum, brass?
(I've never seen brass top jaws, but other than the slightly greater
expense of the metal, does anyone know why it would not serve?

Enjoy,
DoN.

I've never seen them, either, but I can't see any reason they wouldn't work.
Expense is likely the chief reason they aren't common. Considering even
steel jaws don't mark the work, there's no real advantage in using them.

One of the points that I failed to mention about soft jaws in lieu of step
chucks or soft collets. Once you've opened up a step chuck or collet, it's
often worthless for smaller diameters (depends on the depth). In essence,
they're somewhat perishable. Soft jaws, on the other hand, can be
re-machined to fit pretty much any contour or size, so they're not rendered
useless, or relegated to specific use *unless so desired*. Further, once
you've used them up, it's easy to weld in new metal so the process can be
started all over again. No need to make new jaws. For that reason, it's
nice to use steel in place of aluminum. Aluminum, once welded, would have
to be solution annealed and once again artificially aged in order to get
back to a desirable hardness.

I strongly advise anyone to purchase only chucks with master jaws (two piece
jaws) when buying, if at all possible. Even if you think you'll never run
production work. They're more than adequate for one off work, often the
best possible solution for holding parts. Soft jaws free you up like no
other device when it comes to holding objects in your lathe, or even your
mill when needed.

Harold

jim rozen September 15th 05 01:27 PM

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

I've never been able to put soft jaws back where they came from and have
them run true. There's simply too many places for error to
accrue-----particularly when one expects them to run within .0005", and I
do. Yes, mine are numbered, too.

The okuma lathes I worked on used hydraulic chucks, and they
were expensive - but one could re-install the jaws carefully, cleaning
the teeth with a brush - and they would repeat better than a thou,
days later.

Mostly it was wear on the jaws that required them to be trued up.

Those chucks were scary. We ran ten inch diameter chunks of
nylon, a foot long in them, roughing at 3K rpm. For that we turned
up the hydraulic pressure. They would set the jaws up so that
they only clamped in a tenth or an inch or so - so that there
was no chance of getting a finger between the part and the jaw
when hitting the foot pedal.

Ouch.

Jim

please reply to:

Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter September 15th 05 07:17 PM

The list price on the Taig chuck is $60.40 (beats $5K!) and spare sets
of jaws are $7.60 and $7.72 for full circle jaws. They also make a 4
jaw chuck with soft jaws for slightly more.
Of course it is only a 3.25" dia chuck and is a direct scroll rather
than a pinion chuck. I do sell a few to people who use an arbor for
mounting the chuck in a 5C collet.

What's funny is how many people are confused by the Taig 3 jaw, if
only because most beginners machining texts make no mention of the
idea of soft jaws.

I have a section of pics about truing the Taig jaws he
http://www.cartertools.com/picture.html#3JT

I also have a Bison 5" chuck that has 2 part jaws, I think it was
around $300.00 and is really well made. I have yet to get around to
using soft jaws on it though. I guess I should fire up the CNC or as
others suggested tool up the horizontal mill...

Harold and Susan Vordos September 15th 05 08:16 PM

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

I've never been able to put soft jaws back where they came from and have
them run true. There's simply too many places for error to
accrue-----particularly when one expects them to run within .0005", and I
do. Yes, mine are numbered, too.

The okuma lathes I worked on used hydraulic chucks, and they
were expensive - but one could re-install the jaws carefully, cleaning
the teeth with a brush - and they would repeat better than a thou,
days later.

That's actually pretty decent. The chuck that came with my Graziano would
repeat consistently within a half thou, but almost never if the jaws were
removed and re-installed.

Mostly it was wear on the jaws that required them to be trued up.

That's the chief reason I like steel jaws, although I use both aluminum and
steel. The only reason I'd ever re-machine the jaws while running a
production run is if I managed to clamp on a chip-----which was rare. (I use
air, but well placed).

Those chucks were scary. We ran ten inch diameter chunks of
nylon, a foot long in them, roughing at 3K rpm. For that we turned
up the hydraulic pressure. They would set the jaws up so that
they only clamped in a tenth or an inch or so - so that there
was no chance of getting a finger between the part and the jaw
when hitting the foot pedal.

Ouch.

I can well imagine! Ever get pinched?

I've never operated such a chuck-----ever. I've always been on manual
machines, even when running production, of which I've done more than my
share. On one job, where I was holding 3/4" hex stainless stock, making
hundreds of aircraft parts, I managed to pull a hernia from exerting on the
Hardinge-Sjogren collet chuck I use. One of those hydraulic chucks would
have looked pretty good!

Harold

jim rozen September 15th 05 09:15 PM

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

I can well imagine! Ever get pinched?

No, but we did have some part ripouts. A few of them
knocked the steel doors of the machine. We ran them with
the door interlocks defeated - but it was suicide to
leave the doors open on the large jobs. My rule was
to never hit that green button until the door was
*all* the way closed.

Jim

please reply to: