DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Searching for threaded sleeve (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/120048-searching-threaded-sleeve.html)

[email protected] September 7th 05 06:31 PM

Searching for threaded sleeve

Hi group, I am looking for threaded sleeve, with a round OD.
Specifically I require .500 round OD, with 3/8 NC thread ID. I have
looked at MSC, Small Parts INC, and a host of other places, and unless
I have overlooked it, I have struck out. Thanks in advance for any
help you can give, ron

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh September 7th 05 06:38 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi group, I am looking for threaded sleeve, with a round OD.
Specifically I require .500 round OD, with 3/8 NC thread ID. I have
looked at MSC, Small Parts INC, and a host of other places, and unless
I have overlooked it, I have struck out. Thanks in advance for any
help you can give, ron

Ron, I _think_ I've seen some types of "lamp rod" threaded on the i.d. How
long do you need these? I'm wondering if "joiner nuts" for all-thread might
work.

LLoyd

Rex B September 7th 05 06:58 PM

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi group, I am looking for threaded sleeve, with a round OD.
Specifically I require .500 round OD, with 3/8 NC thread ID. I have
looked at MSC, Small Parts INC, and a host of other places, and unless
I have overlooked it, I have struck out. Thanks in advance for any
help you can give, ron

Ron, I _think_ I've seen some types of "lamp rod" threaded on the i.d. How
long do you need these? I'm wondering if "joiner nuts" for all-thread might
work.

Sounds like joiner nuts on a piece of all-thread, turned in a lathe to
knock the corners off down to .500

Ned Simmons September 7th 05 08:25 PM

In article 1126114314.442240.194730
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
says...
Hi group, I am looking for threaded sleeve, with a round OD.
Specifically I require .500 round OD, with 3/8 NC thread ID. I have
looked at MSC, Small Parts INC, and a host of other places, and unless
I have overlooked it, I have struck out. Thanks in advance for any
help you can give, ron

If you have some flexibility on either OD or thread (.500 x
5/16-18, or .625 x 3/8-16), Misumi can help.

http://www.misumiamerica.com/SearchResults.aspx?
ProductValue=u-sfrw

Ned Simmons

[email protected] September 9th 05 12:21 AM

thanks for the info so far, I should say that I am looking for 100 of
these, so turning the OD on the hex nuts is not too attractive at that
quantity. I have been drilling & threading cold rolled round bar, but
that gets old quick, too. keep any ideas coming!

Bruce Johnstone September 9th 05 08:10 PM

Try this site.

http://www.allproducts.com/metal/hsi...005221802.html

Bruce

jim rozen September 9th 05 10:55 PM

In article .com,
says...

thanks for the info so far, I should say that I am looking for 100 of
these, so turning the OD on the hex nuts is not too attractive at that
quantity. I have been drilling & threading cold rolled round bar, but
that gets old quick, too. keep any ideas coming!

That's easier than drilling and tapping from scratch!

I would say you could do a hundred of those in about 1/2 hour
or less. Just run the nuts onto a piece of threaded rod, and
turn ten of them at a shot.

Jim

please reply to:

[email protected] September 10th 05 05:51 PM

Bruce - that is exactly what I am after, now to see if they have any
north american outlets. Cheers!

Jim - I should have noted that the length of each unit is 1.5 inches,
so a normal hex nut is not going to work out.

Grant Erwin September 10th 05 06:11 PM

wrote:
Bruce - that is exactly what I am after, now to see if they have any
north american outlets. Cheers!

Jim - I should have noted that the length of each unit is 1.5 inches,
so a normal hex nut is not going to work out.

Nobody but you is talking about a regular hex nut. We're talking about a COUPLER
nut which is much longer. It's used for joining threaded rod sections. I've not
followed this thread closely, but it seems to me you want 3/8-16, which coupler
nuts are 1-3/4" long. See McMaster Carr part number 93350A100 for specs on grade
2 galvanized coupler nuts, then just go to Home Depot where they sell threaded
rod, and right next to it will be a little rack where they have their coupler
nuts. They're cheap. 1/2" ones are 99¢ so I'd expect 3/8" ones to be cheaper.
Like Jim Rozen says, you can get a piece of allthread (threaded rod), center
drill the ends, thread on a jam nut, one or more coupler nuts, and another jam
nut, and turn the whole shebang between centers. I'm guessing you could turn
them round in less than 30 seconds per part once you got the process dialed in.
This has got to be your cheapest way to go. Actually, shortening the coupler
nuts to 1-1/2" might take longer than turning them round. Fastest way would be
if you can set a stop in your lathe spindle, and set them up in a 3-jaw and face
them off in one whack.

GWE