Default Edison's tilting cross-slides

Visited Motown recently and spent a few hours touring the machine shops
in Ford's Greenfield Village.

Ran into a fellow HSM at Edison's shop so that's the one I enjoyed the
most. We puzzled over the workings of the dynamometer, and he came up
with what seemed to be a good enough explanation for me and his wife.
(What could be better than having a wife interested in measuring
horsepower *and* accepting your explanation.)

Anyway, what caught my eye while checking out the machine tools was
that only one lathe had a compound - and it was immense, considering
the size of the machine - but about half of the rest of them had
pivoting cross-slides: a hinge point at the front and a screw to
elevate the rear.

Is this news to anyone else but me?

At the Armington & Sims shop I learned that 'grease monkeys' were
originally the 12 year olds that climbed up to clean the overhead
shafting. Teddy Roosevelt signed laws limiting child labor to farms
and shop owners weren't about to pay 14 year olds to do the job, so
they installed disks that travel the length of the shafting to remove
the crud. Still, it fell on the machinists' heads and that's why all
those guys in the 'Bull o' the woods' cartoons wore hats.

Dick Hamm
Nashua NH

Grant Erwin

Fascinating. I think I remember reading that they wound up using sort of bent
fiber washers hung over the shafting. The washers just vibrated around and freed
up all the gunk, which -- as you said -- fell straight down.

GWE

At the Armington & Sims shop I learned that 'grease monkeys' were
originally the 12 year olds that climbed up to clean the overhead
shafting. Teddy Roosevelt signed laws limiting child labor to farms
and shop owners weren't about to pay 14 year olds to do the job, so
they installed disks that travel the length of the shafting to remove
the crud. Still, it fell on the machinists' heads and that's why all
those guys in the 'Bull o' the woods' cartoons wore hats.

Dick Hamm
Nashua NH

jerry wass

Grant Erwin wrote:

Fascinating. I think I remember reading that they wound up using sort of
bent fiber washers hung over the shafting. The washers just vibrated
around and freed up all the gunk, which -- as you said -- fell straight
down.

GWE No, they were simple circles with centered holes in them (about

twice as big as the shafting) the O.D. was 2 or 3 times that. Their
natural motion was to slowly run to one end of the shaft (or pillow
block, and then naturally reverse to the other end--fun to watch, the
first time..

At the Armington & Sims shop I learned that 'grease monkeys' were
originally the 12 year olds that climbed up to clean the overhead
shafting. Teddy Roosevelt signed laws limiting child labor to farms
and shop owners weren't about to pay 14 year olds to do the job, so
they installed disks that travel the length of the shafting to remove
the crud. Still, it fell on the machinists' heads and that's why all
those guys in the 'Bull o' the woods' cartoons wore hats.

Dick Hamm
Nashua NH

Jim Stewart

Grant Erwin wrote:
Fascinating. I think I remember reading that they wound up using sort of
bent fiber washers hung over the shafting. The washers just vibrated
around and freed up all the gunk, which -- as you said -- fell straight
down.

Anyone remember putting a leather strap
on their bicycle axle to keep it shiny?

GWE

At the Armington & Sims shop I learned that 'grease monkeys' were
originally the 12 year olds that climbed up to clean the overhead
shafting. Teddy Roosevelt signed laws limiting child labor to farms
and shop owners weren't about to pay 14 year olds to do the job, so
they installed disks that travel the length of the shafting to remove
the crud. Still, it fell on the machinists' heads and that's why all
those guys in the 'Bull o' the woods' cartoons wore hats.

Dick Hamm
Nashua NH

BillP

Anyone remember putting a leather strap
on their bicycle axle to keep it shiny?

But of course, who didn't....50 years ago!

Bill

Slides and Extenders julvr Woodworking 8 February 14th 05 06:46 PM
Shop made full extension wooden drawer slides tillius Woodworking 7 May 9th 04 03:10 AM
Two slides and angle vise Doug Goncz Metalworking 0 February 13th 04 05:02 PM