Tom Gardner

Default Titanium aluminum (Ti3Al)

I just heard of this material for the first time today. It's used in vd
coatings. My buddy needs to cut hocky puck like slugs from a round and I
hear it's difficult. Is there any way to cut it without a wire EDM? Does
anybody have cheap EDM time available?

I'm still trying to talk him into doing a TiN coated saucier pan for me, I
think it would start a trend!

I don't know about 3al titanium, but 6al 4 va Ti is likely to be a
stronger tougher alloy. And I do know something about it. Very much
like Stainless Steel. Work hardens quickly and is strong. But is
machinable on a lathe. Also can be cut with a saw. I have used a
hacksaw on it, but a cut off bandsaw would likely be the best solution
as far as speed and cost of machinery and material lost by the cut. Do
they have a problem with using coolant?

The swarf will burn, but machining is not really a big fire hazard. I
would not let a lot of swarf collect where it could be ignited from
something.

If you grind on Ti, you get very white sparks.

Dan

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
I just heard of this material for the first time today. It's used in vd
coatings. My buddy needs to cut hocky puck like slugs from a round and I
hear it's difficult. Is there any way to cut it without a wire EDM? Does
anybody have cheap EDM time available?

I'm still trying to talk him into doing a TiN coated saucier pan for me, I
think it would start a trend!

jerry wass

Tom Gardner wrote:

I just heard of this material for the first time today. It's used in vd
coatings. My buddy needs to cut hocky puck like slugs from a round and I
hear it's difficult. Is there any way to cut it without a wire EDM? Does
anybody have cheap EDM time available?

I'm still trying to talk him into doing a TiN coated saucier pan for me, I
think it would start a trend!

What's a vd coating???----------would a condom prevent it??G

Grant Erwin

Tom Gardner wrote:

I just heard of this material for the first time today. It's used in vd
coatings.

Jeez, when I was a kid, we just used latex condoms. Things must have gotten
tougher!

GWE (grinning)
Tom Gardner

"jerry wass" wrote in message
What's a vd coating???----------would a condom prevent it??G

vd stands for "Ventrified Docilium" and its rate of growth is measured in
furlongs per fortnight.

D Murphy

"Tom Gardner" wrote in
:

I just heard of this material for the first time today. It's used in
vd coatings. My buddy needs to cut hocky puck like slugs from a round
and I hear it's difficult. Is there any way to cut it without a wire
EDM? Does anybody have cheap EDM time available?

It's probably Ti-3Al-8V-6Cr-4Mo-4Zr. Tough stuff. Turn around 85-160 SFM
with carbide insert tools depending on depth of cut. It will cut just fine
on an EDM.

--

Dan

Lew Hartswick

Grant Erwin wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

I just heard of this material for the first time today. It's used in
vd coatings.

Jeez, when I was a kid, we just used latex condoms. Things must have
gotten tougher!

GWE (grinning)

:-) :-) A very good example of not defining your abreviations the
first time you use them. :-)
...lew...