Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Karl Townsend

Default Best milling insert

The discussion that Harold and Jon had in the recent thread on HSS vs.
Carbide has prompted me to ask, "What is the best performing milling insert
to use on smaller milling machines?"

My vote has been for the Sandvik R390 insert family. As I have milling
insert cutters from 1/2" to 3", and a ton of inserts in grades for AL and
steel, I'm unlikely to change. I've found my old beat up Bridgeport 1J
can't handle them. But, they work wonders on my Excello. Its a taper 40 knee
mill machine with a 2J style milling head.

Karl