michael

Default OT- slightly-signal jamming

I need to pick the brain of the collective genius (radius-radii,
genius-genii?) of the group. The terms 'band' and 'music' are used only
for clarity, not because they represent accurate description. Anyway,
this group of fine young people have a 'band' and use dad's shop in the
same building as I to practice their musical (lack of) talents. I think
the chosen genre is called 'grunge'. I'm pretty sure they are using
wireless setups. The obvious question I have is what can be used to
covertly jam their signals at the discretion of a covert person? And
since I (I mean this covert person)am not an electronic geek, it must be
something quite simple. Oh, and made of metal.G

michael
Pete Keillor

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:09:32 -0700, michael wrote:

I need to pick the brain of the collective genius (radius-radii,
genius-genii?) of the group. The terms 'band' and 'music' are used only
for clarity, not because they represent accurate description. Anyway,
this group of fine young people have a 'band' and use dad's shop in the
same building as I to practice their musical (lack of) talents. I think
the chosen genre is called 'grunge'. I'm pretty sure they are using
wireless setups. The obvious question I have is what can be used to
covertly jam their signals at the discretion of a covert person? And
since I (I mean this covert person)am not an electronic geek, it must be
something quite simple. Oh, and made of metal.G

michael

When I was about six, my oldest sister (at that time the bitch from
hell with a harpy's tongue) used to listen to "American Bandstand" or
some other rock 'n roll program on the radio. This was mid - 50's to
'60. I would pull the night light out until it just arced in the
socket. She'd start cussing the "damned static on this stupid radio"
and finally give up and turn it off. I'm lucky I didn't burn the
house down.

I doubt this'd work in your case. You might try tig welding with a hf
rig. You could get in a lot of "practice" when they're practicing.

Pete Keillor
michael

Pete Keillor wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a reasonable excuse to get a tig machine. Have to give that
some thought. Tax deductible, hmmm...
mj

Well I guess somewhere along the line you have turned into an "Old
Fart"
The first like of defense would be hearing protection say something in
and SPL reduction of 25 or more. Think Peltor ear muffs.
That said you can make some nifty cheap jamming devices with a TTL hex
inverter chip and a few parts. 3 inverters in a loop or any odd number
generate quite a bit of noise in the RF spectrum. Six of them are on
the hex chip so you can run 3 or 5 in a loop.

Tom Gardner

"Old Fart"? Me? I regularly listen to the Stones, Trower, AC/DC, Squeeze,
Depeche Mode, Van Halen, Big Audio Dynamite, U2, Savage Garden, etc,

ALL, OLD-FART MUSIC! ...and these are all names I recognize, hmmm, that
makes ME a ...

Find out what wireless stuff they are using. With my cordless phones and
wi-fi stuff always fighting for a good signal...I want their stuff! Even
with foil wraped on all antennas and foil reflecting panels hanging
everywhere, I have problems. I have to hold my right leg, with a foil
bootie, in the air to answer the phone.

Untill I got my reflecting panels just right, I had a lot of cross-talk so,
you might try foil panels with the length of 1/2 of the harmonic wavelength
positioned in a modified faraday configuration. THAT'LL mess em up good!!!

carl mciver

"michael" wrote in message
| I need to pick the brain of the collective genius (radius-radii,
| genius-genii?) of the group. The terms 'band' and 'music' are used only
| for clarity, not because they represent accurate description. Anyway,
| this group of fine young people have a 'band' and use dad's shop in the
| same building as I to practice their musical (lack of) talents. I think
| the chosen genre is called 'grunge'. I'm pretty sure they are using
| wireless setups. The obvious question I have is what can be used to
| covertly jam their signals at the discretion of a covert person? And
| since I (I mean this covert person)am not an electronic geek, it must be
| something quite simple. Oh, and made of metal.G
|
| michael

Okay, I have some questions which I think can help us help you.
You think or know they are using wireless setups? What kind and what
frequency? What kind of modulation? Does the signal interfere with
anything that you have? If you are successful as jamming their wireless
setup, what keeps them from going to a wired setup? Is the building metal
and would a wireless system work inside a metal building, or between
sections of it?

Have you offered the fine gentlemen some eggcrate foam or sound proofing
sheets available from the hardware store? By making the offer, it helps
them understand that you personally don't care for the music but are willing
to work with them. They might appreciate the feedback (used specifically)
and learn to tone it down or muffle it better. Talk to your dad and see
what you can work out. The key here is to work _with_ them "nicely" before
you attempt to work _against_ them.

If, and I use this as assuming you are able to obtain the same type of
wireless units as they are using, you can set it up for feedback, so that
the output of the receiver transmits what the receiver hears, thus that
horrible squeal. I'm not sure if different transmitters have some kind of
ID coding or they work on different frequencies, so you'll have to get some
more information about what they're using.

Then again Time-Life put out a CD called Thunderous Classics (or
something) that I really like. Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner(you'll hear
it on Apocalypse Now during the helicopter assault scene) and 1812 Overture
are just a couple. Crank it up really loud, and it will wake the dead, and
even knock a few things off the walls. Be careful, you and them both might
come to like it!

michael

Tom Gardner wrote:
"Old Fart"? Me? I regularly listen to the Stones, Trower, AC/DC, Squeeze,
Depeche Mode, Van Halen, Big Audio Dynamite, U2, Savage Garden, etc,

ALL, OLD-FART MUSIC! ...and these are all names I recognize, hmmm, that
makes ME a ...

Find out what wireless stuff they are using. With my cordless phones and
wi-fi stuff always fighting for a good signal...I want their stuff! Even
with foil wraped on all antennas and foil reflecting panels hanging
everywhere, I have problems. I have to hold my right leg, with a foil
bootie, in the air to answer the phone.

Untill I got my reflecting panels just right, I had a lot of cross-talk so,
you might try foil panels with the length of 1/2 of the harmonic wavelength
positioned in a modified faraday configuration. THAT'LL mess em up good!!!

Interference with phone & such is not a problem. It's mainly when going
outside one would think there was a bunch of puking drunks doing some
over-amped stick welding.

michael

carl mciver wrote:

"michael" wrote in message
| I need to pick the brain of the collective genius (radius-radii,
| genius-genii?) of the group. The terms 'band' and 'music' are used only
| for clarity, not because they represent accurate description. Anyway,
| this group of fine young people have a 'band' and use dad's shop in the
| same building as I to practice their musical (lack of) talents. I think
| the chosen genre is called 'grunge'. I'm pretty sure they are using
| wireless setups. The obvious question I have is what can be used to
| covertly jam their signals at the discretion of a covert person? And
| since I (I mean this covert person)am not an electronic geek, it must be
| something quite simple. Oh, and made of metal.G
|
| michael

Okay, I have some questions which I think can help us help you.
You think or know they are using wireless setups? What kind and what
frequency? What kind of modulation? Does the signal interfere with
anything that you have? If you are successful as jamming their wireless
setup, what keeps them from going to a wired setup? Is the building metal
and would a wireless system work inside a metal building, or between
sections of it?

Don't know the type or frequency. We are at opposite ends of a metal
shell building with normal wood framed walls and another tenant who gets
to hear their spew louder than I, in between. See reply to Tom Gardner
for the best description of the 'music' that I could come up with.

The noise interferes with my sensitivities, phone & such is not an issue.

Have you offered the fine gentlemen some eggcrate foam or sound proofing
sheets available from the hardware store? By making the offer, it helps
them understand that you personally don't care for the music but are willing
to work with them. They might appreciate the feedback (used specifically)
and learn to tone it down or muffle it better. Talk to your dad and see
what you can work out. The key here is to work _with_ them "nicely" before
you attempt to work _against_ them.

'Daddy' is letting them use the place to do their thing. Talked with a
phone repairman a few months ago who has a shop a few miles from here
for his racecar habit. He said they used to be next door to him and it
was a pain in the ass to get them to put up some soundproofing, which
had some, but limited, effect. I don't want to stir too much **** for
various reasons. Just some occasional consternation for the comedic
enjoyment of my next door neighbor and I.

If, and I use this as assuming you are able to obtain the same type of
wireless units as they are using, you can set it up for feedback, so that
the output of the receiver transmits what the receiver hears, thus that
horrible squeal. I'm not sure if different transmitters have some kind of
ID coding or they work on different frequencies, so you'll have to get some
more information about what they're using.

Then again Time-Life put out a CD called Thunderous Classics (or
something) that I really like. Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner(you'll hear
it on Apocalypse Now during the helicopter assault scene) and 1812 Overture
are just a couple. Crank it up really loud, and it will wake the dead, and
even knock a few things off the walls. Be careful, you and them both might
come to like it!

Hey now, that is some cool ****! I don't have those particular items in
my collection, but some Mendelssohn, Strauss, and some compilation discs
of Handel, Schubert, Bach, etc., etc. I even have some Big Band, and
Country/Western. Sadly, I sold my Voice of the Theater setup quite some
years ago. If I hadn't, this thread would not exist.

Oh yes, Harold, I also have a smattering of jazz. Just a wee bit.

Richard J Kinch

michael writes:

The obvious question I have is what can be used to
covertly jam their signals at the discretion of a covert person? And
since I (I mean this covert person)am not an electronic geek, it must be
something quite simple.

7404 inverter TTL chip, connect output to input with wire length chosen to
resonate at the desired frequency. I used to wipe out the neighborhood's
TV reception as a child.

Bugs

Spark gap generator. Welders work fine. Ignition coils to an unshielded
spark gap may bring the FCC running.G
Bugs

"The Stones" are 60 years old, you are an old fart!
As for the Kids
Their music is supposed to be awful- they are kids
If they were listening to Lawrence Welk you would be real nervous.