Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Gary Owens

Default Nichols Hand Mill, MAKING CHIPS

Well, I got the mill back together, and am now learning to make chips.
Yesterday I learned about "Climb milling".
As I never finished my apprentice program 40 years ago, I have never used a
horizontal mill. I remember reading about it, but it was never a big deal
when I used Vertical mills, just chatter and bad finish. But using the
Nichols with a rack feed, It is a very big deal, the table took off, the
lever arm came up and whacked me in the elbow, and the machine made all
kinds of noises. That was a learning experience, not to be repeated.
I think my first project will be to make some "gibs" as 2 of the 4 gibs are
broken. 1 had been braised but never ground flat, so that one took a lot of
filing to make it work smooth. Any idea what they are made out of, its not
brass, more like cast.
Thank You to everyone who gave me suggestions during the rebuild.

gary
www.westcanalcrafts.com

Making holes in aluminum sheetmetal Don Foreman Metalworking 13 January 16th 04 05:42 PM
Screw Making: Making a rounded edge on the screw tip George Sohnle Metalworking 6 October 30th 03 06:36 PM
Making drawers David UK diy 3 September 12th 03 11:38 AM
Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 10:05 PM