DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Odd question, in fact very odd (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/114989-odd-question-fact-very-odd.html)

Ken Vale July 29th 05 03:05 AM

Odd question, in fact very odd

Can Iron Pyrite (fools Gold) be heat treated? What about Bravoite
(basicially Iron Pyrite with up to 20% Nickel)?
Ken

jim rozen July 29th 05 04:21 AM

In article , Ken Vale says...

Can Iron Pyrite (fools Gold) be heat treated? What about Bravoite
(basicially Iron Pyrite with up to 20% Nickel)?

Heat treated in what fashion, the way the harder phase in
carbon/iron alloy is quench frozen in?

No, because Iron sulfide doesn't have the same phase diagram
features that the iron/carbon alloy does.

Jim

please reply to:

Martin H. Eastburn July 29th 05 05:07 AM

Ken Vale wrote:

Can Iron Pyrite (fools Gold) be heat treated? What about Bravoite
(basicially Iron Pyrite with up to 20% Nickel)?
Ken

Iron Pyrite - IIRC, explodes when heated. That is what I seem to recall
from a camping trip with some of it in rocks of the campfire.

Stinks also

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Tim Williams July 29th 05 05:26 AM

"Ken Vale" wrote in message
Can Iron Pyrite (fools Gold) be heat treated? What about Bravoite
(basicially Iron Pyrite with up to 20% Nickel)?

Sure, you can heat treat anything...point is, what the heck is your goal.

Pyrite is typically _roasted_ (in air) to produce sulfur oxides, which are
dissolved in water to make sulfuric acid. It is not a suitable iron ore
because too much sulfur remains in the metal.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Ken Vale July 29th 05 10:27 AM

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Ken Vale says...

Can Iron Pyrite (fools Gold) be heat treated? What about Bravoite
(basicially Iron Pyrite with up to 20% Nickel)?

Heat treated in what fashion, the way the harder phase in
carbon/iron alloy is quench frozen in?

No, because Iron sulfide doesn't have the same phase diagram
features that the iron/carbon alloy does.

Jim

I wondered about the possibility of making a knife from it. I realize
that you can make an art knife that has a gold color to it, I just
prefer my knives/tools to be functional.
Ken