DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Material Grades? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/114837-material-grades.html)

kthr33 July 27th 05 05:44 PM

Material Grades?

Currently we are attempting to discover what grades of Monel are
commonly available and the machinability of each. This is always a
problem for us when the material requirement is something other than
steel or aluminum. We have tried to use MatWeb many times in the past,
but that site is overwhelming and we have never been able to use it
successfully. It's obviously designed for those higher up the foodchain
then us. Finding info about Monel, Titanium, and Copper are the biggest
problems for us. We would really enjoy hearing how others find this
type of information. All ideas, comments, and suggestions will be
greatly appreciated. Thanks, K.

Rich Grise July 27th 05 05:53 PM

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:44:44 -0700, kthr33 wrote:

Currently we are attempting to discover what grades of Monel are
commonly available and the machinability of each. This is always a
problem for us when the material requirement is something other than
steel or aluminum. We have tried to use MatWeb many times in the past,
but that site is overwhelming and we have never been able to use it
successfully. It's obviously designed for those higher up the foodchain
then us. Finding info about Monel, Titanium, and Copper are the biggest
problems for us. We would really enjoy hearing how others find this
type of information. All ideas, comments, and suggestions will be
greatly appreciated. Thanks, K.

Have you tried asking the vendor?

Good Luck!
Rich

Ned Simmons July 27th 05 05:58 PM

In article 1122482684.090368.219910
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, says...
Currently we are attempting to discover what grades of Monel are
commonly available and the machinability of each. This is always a
problem for us when the material requirement is something other than
steel or aluminum. We have tried to use MatWeb many times in the past,
but that site is overwhelming and we have never been able to use it
successfully. It's obviously designed for those higher up the foodchain
then us. Finding info about Monel, Titanium, and Copper are the biggest
problems for us. We would really enjoy hearing how others find this
type of information. All ideas, comments, and suggestions will be
greatly appreciated. Thanks, K.

I've been treated well by the tech support folks at Special
Metals...

http://www.specialmetals.com/about.htm

when specifying various Inconel alloys. They do Monel and
other high nickel alloys as well.

Ned Simmons

Martin H. Eastburn July 28th 05 05:07 AM

kthr33 wrote:

Currently we are attempting to discover what grades of Monel are
commonly available and the machinability of each. This is always a
problem for us when the material requirement is something other than
steel or aluminum. We have tried to use MatWeb many times in the past,
but that site is overwhelming and we have never been able to use it
successfully. It's obviously designed for those higher up the foodchain
then us. Finding info about Monel, Titanium, and Copper are the biggest
problems for us. We would really enjoy hearing how others find this
type of information. All ideas, comments, and suggestions will be
greatly appreciated. Thanks, K.

Here is a good book - a bit pricey but contains what you seek.

http://www.afsinc.org/estore/srch_De...rderNum=OS9902
~ 225.00 USD.

It looks like the price is the same as when I bought the book and joined AFS.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life