Jake in Escondido

Default Hand Deodorizer?

SWMBO wants a hand deodorizer. According to her it is a piece of
stainless that will remove fish odor from your hands if you rub it. The
catalog shows a piece of metal that is cast into the shape of a bar of
soap. Does anyone know the type of stainless this might be and why
rubbing it would remove odor?

TIA

Jake in Escondido

JohnM

PR wrote:
Woman on a cookery prog. wiped her hands round a stainless steel saucepan -
said it would remove smell.

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message ...

Good Eats TV show said any piece of stainless steel will work just as well.
I think he was using a big spoon. Don't know how it works or if it actually
does.
Karl
"Jake in Escondido" wrote in message

SWMBO wants a hand deodorizer. According to her it is a piece of stainless
that will remove fish odor from your hands if you rub it. The catalog
shows a piece of metal that is cast into the shape of a bar of soap. Does
anyone know the type of stainless this might be and why rubbing it would
remove odor?
Jake in Escondido

I guess I broke my wife in better than you did, mine wouldn't consider
telling me her fingers stink 'cause she'd know the direction the
conversation would take;-)

John

william_b_noble

it's not worth the effort to make it, stores like williams sonoma sell these
for under $5, all nicely made to look like a little fish (I got mine in
paris, I think, but of course you don't really need to travel to europe to
get one) - it seems to work
"Jake in Escondido" wrote in message
SWMBO wants a hand deodorizer. According to her it is a piece of stainless
that will remove fish odor from your hands if you rub it. The catalog
shows a piece of metal that is cast into the shape of a bar of soap. Does
anyone know the type of stainless this might be and why rubbing it would
remove odor?

TIA

Jake in Escondido

kk

Checkout ebay. Odor bar. Item number: 4395168646

Jake in Escondido

My God, $3.25 complete in a velour draw string bag. I sure can't make
one any cheaper than that.

Thanks Guys

Jake

kk wrote:
Checkout ebay. Odor bar. Item number: 4395168646

Ken Sterling

it's not worth the effort to make it, stores like williams sonoma sell these
for under $5, all nicely made to look like a little fish (I got mine in
paris, I think, but of course you don't really need to travel to europe to
get one) - it seems to work
"Jake in Escondido" wrote in message
SWMBO wants a hand deodorizer. According to her it is a piece of stainless
that will remove fish odor from your hands if you rub it. The catalog
shows a piece of metal that is cast into the shape of a bar of soap. Does
anyone know the type of stainless this might be and why rubbing it would
remove odor?

TIA

Jake in Escondido

So..... is it some kind of *special* stainless or something exotic?
How would this work? The ad on e-bay mentions washing the hands with
it under running water....
Ken.

Randy Replogle

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:01:06 -0400, kk wrote:

Checkout ebay. Odor bar. Item number: 4395168646

Does it work for armpits?
Randy

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:50:10 -0500, the opaque Randy Replogle
clearly wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:01:06 -0400, kk wrote:

Checkout ebay. Odor bar. Item number: 4395168646

Does it work for armpits?

I'm really, really curious, Randy:

Why would your armpits smell of garlic, onions, and fish?

--

"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things
over and over and over again for the truth to sink in,

G.W. Bush

Martin Evans

Larry Jaques wrote:

Why would your armpits smell of garlic, onions, and fish?

Because he is French?

;-)

Don Foreman

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:10:57 -0700, Jake in Escondido
wrote:

SWMBO wants a hand deodorizer. According to her it is a piece of
stainless that will remove fish odor from your hands if you rub it. The
catalog shows a piece of metal that is cast into the shape of a bar of
soap. Does anyone know the type of stainless this might be and why
rubbing it would remove odor?

TIA

Jake in Escondido

The best stuff I've found for removing fish smell from hands is the
yellow liquid dishwashing detergent -- I think it's Palmolive.
Discovered this in a fishing camp in Northern MN.

Randy Replogle

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:54:10 +0100, Martin Evans
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Why would your armpits smell of garlic, onions, and fish?

Because he is French?

;-)

I used to think my ancestors were from Germany and was proud. Lately
I've learned that they may have been French.

Randy

rigger

So..... is it some kind of *special* stainless or something
exotic?
How would this work? The ad on e-bay mentions washing the hands
with
it under running water....
Ken.

My guess is this has nothing to do with stainless steel and everything
to do with washing your hands.
Kinda like that gadget you throw in the washing machine instead of
using soap. After Consumer Reports tested it they found the clothes
actually did come out cleaner than when they went in but no cleaner
than the same clothes run through the wash cycle without the gadget.
I'd be willing to guess these stainless steel "fish" (and etc) have a
brushed versus a polished finish and it's the friction that rubs off
the top layer of skin and takes away the garlic oils with it. This is
no doubt the reason for stainless; stays rough, slow to stain and not
too expensive.
dennis in nca
p.s. Although there ARE stainless steels which are approved by the NSF
which is the National Sanitation Foundation. This is the authority
health departments refer to when approving permits (and associated
equipment)for food and restaurant operations. Perhaps it is a
"special" steel, especially if used near food???

Martin Evans

"rigger" wrote:

My guess is this has nothing to do with stainless steel and everything
to do with washing your hands.

I've not tried using a lump of stainless but the pumice based hand
cleaner I normally use after being in the workshop doesn't get rid of
the smell after chopping garlic.

rigger

Martin Evans tells us:

^^I've not tried using a lump of stainless but the pumice based hand
cleaner I normally use after being in the workshop doesn't get rid of
the smell after chopping garlic.^^

Now if we can just get you to try a chunk of stainless to compare
to.......

dennis in nca
p.s. In my opinion nothing ever compared to the old old Lava soap. I
don't think the new old Lava is nearly as good.

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:01:34 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

The best stuff I've found for removing fish smell from hands is the
yellow liquid dishwashing detergent -- I think it's Palmolive.
Discovered this in a fishing camp in Northern MN.

I've found that rubbing a small piece of lemon over your hands works
very well in getting rid of the fish smell. It also does a great job
in getting rid of odors from a microwave. Put wedge of lemon on a
saucer (a teaspoon of lemon juice is an adequate substitute), set the
the microwave on high for about 30 seconds.