Gunner

Default I hate it when that happens

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:45:24 -0700, "Charlie Gary"
wrote:

BottleBob wrote:
Snip
Charlie:

YIKES! That sounds really serious. Here's wishing you a fast and
complete recovery.
I was wondering where you've been lately. If you are able, could you
give some greater detail?

A few years ago I bought this program called "Via Voice", it lets you
talk into one of those microphones you wear and the program types what
you say on your monitor. I played with it for a couple of weeks, but
lost interest in enunciating my words properly. It did seem to have
the potential to somewhat work as advertised.

BB, thanks for the well-wishes.

More detail, eh?

Well, the plastic was ABS 12" x 12" x 2". The cutter was spinning 5000 rpm,
and the plastic was out of the vise whipping around when the pull stud
broke. This spinning square of plastic came through the 24" wide opening
between the doors and hit my arm just below the elbow. It seems to have
ridden up my arm a little, because it also smashed a few fingers. I had a
big bruise on my hip where my elbow hit it, and my head still has a numb
spot where it bounced off the table leg, but my forearm really took a
beating. When I thought about getting up off the floor I took one look at
my arm and knew better than to try standing. It sort of looked like there
was an explosion inside my arm. A big piece of muscle was laying inside
out, and there was more than one visible bone. Nobody ever tried counting
all the bone fragments. The surgery reports (seven, so far) use terms like
"degloving" and "near-amputation".
So far repairs have involved 3 metal plates with lots of screws, cadaver
bone to bridge the two forearm bones, making them one solid unit, grafting
muscle from my leg to my arm to replace all the muscles that used to extend
my fingers and thumb, about 62 square inches of skin for two separate skin
grafts from the same leg, and four surgeries where all they did was clean up
some of the mess. The fingers were fixed with .045" wires sticking out of
my knuckles, and those have already been removed. There's still a hole in
my elbow, but the doc wants to wait a while to see if it closes up by
itself. It might be, because my daughter says she can no longer see the end
of one of the plates at the bottom. Here's hoping it keeps going.
I'm really lucky I work so close to the hospital I went to. The doctor in
charge of fixing me is known around the world for doing this kind of thing,
so I have a lot of confidence in him.
I'm not doing too bad typing with only one hand. I'm a master
hunter-pecker, so one hand out of action doesn't slow me down too much. I
was talking to my boss, who is a saint for continuing to send paychecks
during my seven-1/2 week absence, and we both concluded I would be better of
with some kind of mouse or ball with programmable buttons than some
voice-regognition software. I currently stand a 1/2 endmill on my shift, alt
and control keys when I need a second hand, and that slows me down some when
using Pro/E.
There's the detailed report. Hope it wasn't too much. Time to go back on
my head.

Lets all be careful out there.

Gunner

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

all the bone fragments. The surgery reports (seven, so far) use terms like
"degloving" and "near-amputation".

Lets all be careful out there.

Any time they use the term "de-gloving" you know that's been
a bad day. A very bad day.

Jim

please reply to:
Kelley Mascher

I haven't been following this thread so sorry if I'm speaking out of
turn. In case you're not aware Window's accessability options has
settings that make the Alt, Ctrl and Shift keys sticky so you don't
have to hold them down. There may be some other options that could
help. I'd hate to see you cut yourself on that endmill while typing.

Cheers,

Kelley