Unknown

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:09:18 -0400, Steve Mulhollan
wrote:

,;406 - a chunk of iron pyrite
,;
,;407 - telegraph receiver
,;
,;408 - playing card shuffler
,;
,;409 - holder for toothy fish (grabs them by the gills)

Well at least one person knows how this was used in northern
Minnesota. Not necessarily by the gills but sold to grab the "big"
one.
,;
,;410 - homemade 1-2-3 block
,;
,;411 - electrical terminal
,;
,;
,;
,;
,;On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:31:59 GMT, "R.H." wrote:
,;
,;Just posted another set:
,;
,;http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
,;
,;
,;Rob
,;

R.H.

Default What is it? LXXI

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

DanG

406. Pyrite or other fake gold piece.
407. Telegraph key?
408. Card shuffler. (the only one I am positive about)
409. Jar lid opener?
410. Puzzle block.
411. Heavy gauge electrical swage end like the ones used on
welding leads. I don't recognize the extra lug on the swage
barrel.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

John Husvar

In article UpKDe.120060$yV4.88998@okepread03,
"DanG" wrote:

406. Pyrite or other fake gold piece.
407. Telegraph key?
408. Card shuffler. (the only one I am positive about)
409. Jar lid opener?
410. Puzzle block.
411. Heavy gauge electrical swage end like the ones used on
welding leads. I don't recognize the extra lug on the swage
barrel.

It's for hammering the lug tight to the cable just in case you don't
have the large crimper for 1/0 or 2/0 cable lugs handy.
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

406: Cassiterite

407: Morse key

408: Dough cutter (for lasagne?)

409: Jar opener

410: Light bulb tester

411: Crimp terminal

JohnM

R.H. wrote:
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Petrified pentanusaur poop.

Civil War era precision eraser.

Card shuffler.

Kung-fu grip self-defense device.

1-2-3 block.

Terminal end for welding cable and such, stick the bared end of the
cable in and hit the rectangular wedge with a hammer.

John
Kevin

406 Some mineral, perhaps iron pyrite
407 Telegraph key
408 ?
409 Draft 1 of Robby the Robt's hand
410 Set up block for machinists/tool and dye. Also known as 1-2-3 block
411 ?

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Barbara Bailey

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:31:59 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

My husband was looking over my shoulder at these, so most of the
identifications are his.

406: an iron pyrites crystal
407: an old telegraph key
(Those two I got before he joined me.)

408: a card shuffler

410: a machinist's dapping block
411: a battery-cable end

Jeff Wisnia

R.H. wrote:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

407. "Firing Key" used by FDR at the September 30, 1935 dedication of
Hoover Dam.

409. "Sack grabber" for use by dock workers. A sophisticated version of
the hook type I noticed last week being used by actor Russell Crowe as
Jim Braddock in the recently released movie "Cinderella Man."

410. 1-2-3 block used in the movie "El Maquinista" ("The Machinist"). A
stage prop only filmed from one angle.

Jeff (Just kidding...3X)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Ed Rinehart

R.H. wrote:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

406 Galena crystal
407 very old telegraph key
408 card shuffler???
409 pipe carrier
410 "123" block
411 heavy duty terminal with attachment point for a smaller wire.

RAM^3

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

406. Iron Pyrite crystals
407. Telegraph key
408. Playing card shuffler
409. Tongs
410. some kind of jig
411. High-capacity electrical terminal

TomH

wrote in rec.woodworking:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

406: Kryptonite

407: Early computer mouse

408: Toast Flipper/Counter/Stacker
(Limited Edition Stereo Model)

409: DIY Vasectomy Kit Klamp
(removed from market 4/1/1960)

410: Failed Rubik's Cube prototype

411: Lee Press-On Nails, Cyborg Cuticle Edition

--
+ TomH + antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Also: http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm

Rich Grise

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:31:59 +0000, R.H. wrote:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

406: A lump of pyrite
407: Dunno - some kind of antique precision repair/calibration jig
408: Card shuffling machine
409: Cut-off tree limb grabber
410: 1-2-3 block, or Johansson block
411: Crimp lug. BIG crimp lug, and the wart on the top of the
barrel is so that you can crimp it with an ordinary squeezer.

Cheers!
Rich

Dhakala

406: pyrite
407: telegraph key
409: fisherman's fish-grabbing tongs for pike, musky

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again:

406) Iron Pyrites (Fools Gold).

407) It looks like a very old panel-mount momentary contact
switch. The wooden knob passes through a hole in the panel, and
the rusty old screws still visible at the top of the upright
sections in the photo attach it to the panel.

I think that the center portion should include a spring to hold
the switch in the open state. And it looks like an adjustment
to control the amount of force needed to actuate the switch, by
which I assume that this is for something like a battery powered
dynamite detonator.

The wires connect to the underside below the knob, and to the
flag under the pivot at the other end.

With the fine adjustment of the contact gap, I would almost
think that it could be an early telegraph key, except that the
mass of the moving parts would make it rather slow to operate.

408) A crank-operated playing-card shuffler?

409) A patent set of ice tongs?
or
A gripper for unscrewing jar lids?

410) It looks like an *unfinished* 1-2-3 block, except that a proper
1-2-3 block typically has the holes all the way through, and a
certain percentage of them are also threaded.

I say "unfinished" because of the tooling marks from the milling
cutters. Such things are normally machined slightly oversized,
drilled and tapped, and then hardened. After hardening, the
dimensions are finished on a surface grinder, accurate to better
than 0.001" (that is 1.000" x 2.000" x 3.000".

411) Crimp terminal for power leads. The markings say for 1/0 and
2/0 wires.

I find the projection on the top to be interesting, and I
suspect that the crimper collapses this into the wire which was
inserted into the cup. It might even allow the crimping to be
performed with a vise or a hammer and anvil, instead of the
usual hydraulically-powered crimpers for things of that size.

Given the date, it might even be specific for aluminum power
wiring.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:31:59 +0000, R.H. wrote:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

[ ... ]

410: 1-2-3 block, or Johansson block

I guessed (and have already posted) that it was an *incomplete*
1-2-3 block, given the lack of the finish grind (though they also
normally have holes all the way through, with a certain number tapped).

But I *can't* accept that it might be a "Jo" (Johansson) block.

Those are much smaller, and at least the two ends are finished to
a mirror finish. (The other surfaces are normally ground to a nicer
finish than this -- but then, so is a 1-2-3 block.

The size is wrong, too. They are about 5/16" thick, and a bit
over 1" wide, with the length varying from 0.100" through at least
6.000" (the longest that I have seen).

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Rich Grise

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:24:11 -0400, DoN. Nichols wrote:

In article , Rich Grise
wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:31:59 +0000, R.H. wrote:

Just posted another set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

[ ... ]

410: 1-2-3 block, or Johansson block

I guessed (and have already posted) that it was an *incomplete*
1-2-3 block, given the lack of the finish grind (though they also normally
have holes all the way through, with a certain number tapped).

But I *can't* accept that it might be a "Jo" (Johansson) block.

Those are much smaller, and at least the two ends are finished to
a mirror finish. (The other surfaces are normally ground to a nicer
finish than this -- but then, so is a 1-2-3 block.

The size is wrong, too. They are about 5/16" thick, and a bit
over 1" wide, with the length varying from 0.100" through at least 6.000"
(the longest that I have seen).

Thanks for the correction. My office opens onto a machine shop, and I
hear the terms - I'd heard of Jo blocks before, as you described, but
the guys around here sometimes call gage blocks "jo blocks"; albeit
I've never heard anybody refer to a 1-2-3 block as a "jo block"; I
made that up all by myself. ;-)

Although, the 1-2-3 blocks around here that have holes in them,
have holes all the way through. Hmmmm....

Thanks!
Rich

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:24:11 -0400, DoN. Nichols wrote:

In article , Rich Grise
wrote:

[ ... ]

410: 1-2-3 block, or Johansson block

[ ... ]

Thanks for the correction.

You're welcome.

My office opens onto a machine shop, and I
hear the terms - I'd heard of Jo blocks before, as you described, but
the guys around here sometimes call gage blocks "jo blocks";

That is because their inventor was Carl E. Johannsson (I'm not
sure that I have the right number of 'n's and 's's in that name), and he
was hired to implement his set of reusable standards at Ford many years
ago. Brown & Sharpe gauge blocks are still marked with his full name,
or on the smallest just "C.E.J".

Starrett sells a different line, marked "Webber", which I
presume started when the patent that Johannsson had ran out. Both are
excellent sets. But "Jo blocks" tends to be used even when they are
marked "Webber". :-)

albeit
I've never heard anybody refer to a 1-2-3 block as a "jo block"; I
made that up all by myself. ;-)

While a good 1-2-3 block is quite accurate, they are not as
accurate as gauge blocks. Even the cheap Chinese ones are supposed to
be accurate to 0.000050" (50 micro-inches), and the best (and most
expensive) of them are as good as (I think) 0.000002" (2 micro-inches).
At that kind of accuracy, the thermal expansion from the heat of your
hand when you hold a "Jo" block too long will introduce errors.

Although, the 1-2-3 blocks around here that have holes in them,
have holes all the way through. Hmmmm....

Agreed. I've never seen ones with blind holes, which makes me
wonder about the item in the posted puzzle set.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
R.H.

They have all been answered correctly:

406. Pyrite

407. Telegraph key

408. Playing card shuffler

409. Fishing gaff

410. Machinist's 1-2-3 block

411. Cable connector

Links to patent info for the fishing gaff and the cable connector can be
found on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan74l.blogspot.com/

Thanks to all who participated this week.

Rob

Peter Morris

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .

410. Machinist's 1-2-3 block

But what is it for? what does it do, exactly?

Ned Simmons

In article sCtEe.75675$G8.43412
@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, nospam.ple@se says...

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .

410. Machinist's 1-2-3 block

But what is it for? what does it do, exactly?

A 1-2-3 block is a reference and pedagogical device for
innumerate metalworkers.

Ned Simmons

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:45:28 GMT, "Peter Morris" nospam.ple@se wrote:

410. Machinist's 1-2-3 block

But what is it for? what does it do, exactly?

It's a packing block, with a convenient range of adjustable heights,
It's also full of holes, so you can stick bolts through it.

Imagine you're trying to clamp a T-shape to the table of a milling
machine and only the central leg of the T is machined flat and
clampable. Hang it over the top of a 1-2-3 block and you can hold it
down, without resting on the as-yet unmachined bosses of the T's
crossbar.