Default duplicating a bronze boat cleat

I want to learn how to cast a copy of a bronze cleat from my old boat
(I believe it is silicon bronze). I live in New England. Is there a
book on the subject that can get me going? Some other path to get me
started? I want to add this skill to my hobbies, and figure it'd be
hard to screw this part up as a first try...
Thanks for any suggestions. Grant

Errol Groff

Check out Lindsay Books. Many reproduction books of old technology
including casting.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/HomePage.html

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School
643 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

On 18 Jul 2005 14:16:47 -0700, wrote:

I want to learn how to cast a copy of a bronze cleat from my old boat
(I believe it is silicon bronze). I live in New England. Is there a
book on the subject that can get me going? Some other path to get me
started? I want to add this skill to my hobbies, and figure it'd be
hard to screw this part up as a first try...
Thanks for any suggestions. Grant

footy

The Complete Handbook of Sand Casting by Ammen is what the local
community college uses. You might want to check to see if a nearby
community college or other school offers a bronze casting class in their
art or vocational departments. There is quite a bit of work and expense
involved in setting up a small foundry if you will only be doing a few
cleats. Be aware that if you use an existing cleat as a pattern, the
finished part will be a little smaller because the metal shrinks as it
solidifies.

Also, do a search of the internet using your favorite search engine for
something like "sand casting". There are some useful sites out there.
steamer

--You're in the right neighborhood! Check out woodenboatschool.com
--Many moons ago I took a patternmaking class there. One of our
class projects was a cleat, heh. Not sure if the class is offered this
time around, but the knowledge base is there.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Just another fart in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the Elevator of Life...

Track down Mystic Seaport's shipyard staff. Odds are they have done it
a few times.
Also the Lie Nielson planes are cast from that type of bronze.
Should be easy to get someone to share some pointers from either place.

I'm sure Steamer meant the Wooden Boat School in Maine, which I know
about, but didn't think of them as a help with this problem. I
appreciate all the help offered here. It seems like I need a textbook,
and to start asking questions of some the region Shop Instructors. We
do have small foundries around; mostly for artists I thought; maybe if
I can do all the prep work, they could do the por. Thanks!

JohnM

footy wrote:
The Complete Handbook of Sand Casting by Ammen is what the local
community college uses. You might want to check to see if a nearby
community college or other school offers a bronze casting class in their
art or vocational departments. There is quite a bit of work and expense
involved in setting up a small foundry if you will only be doing a few
cleats. Be aware that if you use an existing cleat as a pattern, the
finished part will be a little smaller because the metal shrinks as it
solidifies.

Might give the original a couple dips in wax to bring the size a little
bigger.

Also, do a search of the internet using your favorite search engine for
something like "sand casting". There are some useful sites out there.

steamer

--Whoops! Heres the correct link:
http://www.thewoodenboatschool.com/
--They're in Brooklin, Maine! :-)