Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Jon Grimm

Default no good deed goes unpunished...

wanted: serviceable crankshaft for teledyne continental 688-46
spec 1512006
serial 2837

this engine is a 4 cylinder inline water cooled,
I am told made in france by Peugeot. (Insert joke here.)

It is from a Case skidsteer model 1830.

I am trying to help a friend locate a replacement crankshaft.
I am doing this as a favor to him, who in turn is trying to repair the
engine for a third party.
The shaft I have has rod journals 2 and 3 damaged,
as the engine was assembled without a plug in what is now understood to be
an important location in an oil gallery, and subsequently run until bearing
failure.
Also, EVERY rod journal has a crack extending thru the fillet up into the
weight.
The cracking seems to be typical of this shaft in these engines.

I sent the shaft to a local shop that specializes in crankshaft service.
After the magneflux inspection, they don't want to touch it.
The owner is ok with the cracks, apparently this engine has many hours on it
in that condition, but Pittsburgh Crankshaft won't repair the journals
because of the cracks.

New replacement cost of the shaft runs around $1800us. (I am told)

If this were MY skidsteer, I would throw that frog boat anchor away and
replace it with any small 4 cylinder water cooled engine.
But it is not, so I won't, etc.

If anybody has any leads to a shaft, or even a whole engine, please let me
know.

In the meantime, I will try to persuade the owner to replace the engine with
something more common.

Thanks