DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   MORE on: Who turned out the lights? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/11115-more-who-turned-out-lights.html)

lcoe August 16th 03 03:02 AM

MORE on: Who turned out the lights?

it just dawned on me, watching the news coverage of the Canooks and us bickering
about who 'started it'. maybe _no_one_ wants to admit that some part of this
grid was under control of WinTel platforms?(!)

it's really just a coincidence that this 'worm' took down some networks
starting on Monday, right? --Loren

Wayne Harris August 16th 03 05:02 PM

MORE on: Who turned out the lights?

Thought you might find this article informative:
http://www.workingforchange.com/prin...m?itemid=15459

k_teppo August 18th 03 03:17 AM

lcoe wrote in message .net...
it just dawned on me, watching the news coverage of the Canooks and us bickering
about who 'started it'. maybe _no_one_ wants to admit that some part of this
grid was under control of WinTel platforms?(!)

it's really just a coincidence that this 'worm' took down some networks
starting on Monday, right? --Loren

(ahem)

"Canooks"?

And, yes, Bill Gates and w32.blaster are to blame.

-k

lcoe August 18th 03 04:10 AM

In rec.crafts.metalworking k_teppo wrote:
lcoe wrote in message .net...
it just dawned on me, watching the news coverage of the Canooks and us bickering
about who 'started it'. maybe _no_one_ wants to admit that some part of this
grid was under control of WinTel platforms?(!)

it's really just a coincidence that this 'worm' took down some networks
starting on Monday, right? --Loren

(ahem)
"Canooks"?

oh, my mistake, Canuks(?). --Loren (whose mother was born in Canada)

Spehro Pefhany August 18th 03 04:49 AM

MORE on: Who turned out the lights?

On 17 Aug 2003 19:17:21 -0700, the renowned
(k_teppo) wrote:

lcoe wrote in message .net...
it just dawned on me, watching the news coverage of the Canooks and us bickering
about who 'started it'. maybe _no_one_ wants to admit that some part of this
grid was under control of WinTel platforms?(!)

it's really just a coincidence that this 'worm' took down some networks
starting on Monday, right? --Loren

(ahem)

"Canooks"?

Canook +blackout = Canooky (?) ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Tim Williams August 18th 03 06:27 AM

MORE on: Who turned out the lights?

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
Canook +blackout = Canooky (?) ;-)

What do you call female Canadians? Canookie...

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Gunner August 18th 03 09:35 AM

MORE on: Who turned out the lights?

(k_teppo) wrote:

lcoe wrote in message .net...
it just dawned on me, watching the news coverage of the Canooks and us bickering
about who 'started it'. maybe _no_one_ wants to admit that some part of this
grid was under control of WinTel platforms?(!)

it's really just a coincidence that this 'worm' took down some networks
starting on Monday, right? --Loren

(ahem)

"Canooks"?

Canook +blackout = Canooky (?) ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

We will find out in 9 months..eh?

Gunner

"What do you call someone in possesion of all the facts? Paranoid.-William Burroughs

Andre August 18th 03 07:56 PM

(k_teppo) wrote:

lcoe wrote in message .net...
it just dawned on me, watching the news coverage of the Canooks and us bickering
about who 'started it'. maybe _no_one_ wants to admit that some part of this
grid was under control of WinTel platforms?(!)

it's really just a coincidence that this 'worm' took down some networks
starting on Monday, right? --Loren

(ahem)

"Canooks"?

Canook +blackout = Canooky (?) ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

We will find out in 9 months..eh?

"There were fluctuations hours before the failure" . Sounds like a
positive feedback effect caused the problem .

e.g. so many control systems trying to compensate for the original
glitch, due to the sheer size of the grid it began oscillating at a
low frequency which built up and finally caused a system failure .

Recall Tahoma Narrows bridge . Wind was just at the wrong speed to
induce resonance .

Perhaps a seismic event caused it ? Something caused a slow build-up
(perhaps current was being drawn in the right pattern + some other
event) causing the above scenario a couple of hours later .

-A

jitney August 19th 03 12:33 AM

MORE on: Who turned out the lights?

I think the fix is in for a massive rate increase...this will soften
up the opposition quite a bit. Rolling blackouts did the same in
Calif. a few years ago, Enron got rich, manipulators looted the
company, and the retirees got $hit. Who will get rich this
time?-Jitney

Eric Pederson August 19th 03 03:30 PM

jitney wrote:

I think the fix is in for a massive rate increase...this will soften
up the opposition quite a bit. Rolling blackouts did the same in
Calif. a few years ago, Enron got rich, manipulators looted the
company, and the retirees got $hit. Who will get rich this
time?-Jitney

The same as always, the trial lawyers.