Bob AZ

Default Drop box use

How does one use the "drop box". I need to identify some chisels. Or at
least I think they are chisels. For a wood lathe. I wold post this on
the wood working but there is more smarts here.
Bob AZ

Tim Wescott

Bob AZ wrote:

How does one use the "drop box". I need to identify some chisels. Or at
least I think they are chisels. For a wood lathe. I wold post this on
the wood working but there is more smarts here.
Bob AZ

If you ask "what are they and how do I sharpen them" then it'll have
metalworking content.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Grant Erwin

Visit http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox -- the rest is easy. The only trick is
when you post your question, I suggest you do not say "I posted pictures in the
dropbox", rather say e.g. "please look at
http://www.metalworking/dropbox/mypicture1.jpg" or whatever, in other words post
the actual URL. Also, make sure you give all the files names that are meaningful
and start with the same thing. I wish whoever runs the dropbox would add some
intelligence, like ability to sort by date or name at least.

Grant
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:

[ ... ]

and start with the same thing. I wish whoever runs the dropbox would add some
intelligence, like ability to sort by date or name at least.

Steve Stallings (who runs the dropbox) has added such features a
*long* time ago.

To access them, you need to enter the top level of the web site

http://www.metalworking.com

and look at the other click bars. One of them is titled "Sort Dropbox",
and once you click on it, you are given several choices for the sorting method.

The default dropbox is sorted alphabetically by file name.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Ken Sterling

How does one use the "drop box". I need to identify some chisels. Or at
least I think they are chisels. For a wood lathe. I wold post this on
the wood working but there is more smarts here.
Bob AZ

After you read the directions at metalworking.com, *remember* to
rename your picture files before you attach them to the e-mail. Like:
chisel.txt
chisel1.jpg
chisel2.jpg etc., etc., The txt file has to be included in the e-mail
attachments or Steve won't put them in the list. Cameras generate
their own filenames for the pictures, depending on whether you have
the date/time set in your camera.
HTH.
Ken.

Wild Bill

When I first tried it, I created the .txt file as an email, and when it was
viewed from the dropbox, the text wasn't wrapped (it strung along wider than
the screen window).

I later used notepad for the text description, and it displays normally,
with line breaks and wrapping.

If you're not using MSoft, it probably doesn't apply.

WB

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
oups.com...
How does one use the "drop box". I need to identify some chisels. Or at
least I think they are chisels. For a wood lathe. I wold post this on
the wood working but there is more smarts here.
Bob AZ

Ted Edwards

Wild Bill wrote:
If you're not using MSoft, it probably doesn't apply.

I notice that you are using Outlaw Exploder. Is the double posting
(which I see a lot of these days) yet another M$ bug? Just curious.

Ted
Wild Bill

As good a place to put the blame as any. When doubles of my posts happen,
it's always preceded by a Send error, which I suppose could be a network/ISP
problem.
Without attempting to re-send, doubles have appeared, and I have all those
sophisticated? auto-send/receive features turned off.

I don't think most folks intentionally re-send. I don't look for what reader
they used, so it's not apparent to me.

How's the variable speed drive project Ted?

WB

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Wild Bill wrote:
If you're not using MSoft, it probably doesn't apply.

I notice that you are using Outlaw Exploder. Is the double posting
(which I see a lot of these days) yet another M$ bug? Just curious.

Ted

Too_Many_Tools

"...for the guys that are still on dialup. "

From the last numbers I saw that is still 60% of the users on the

Internet....a fact often lost on web page designers.

TMT

RoyJ

Yep. I have some arguments with web designers on occasion. Fat pictures,
using the very latest version of Flash or other graphics, and non
support of anything except the latest version of Microsoft are high on
my list of complaints.

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
"...for the guys that are still on dialup. "

From the last numbers I saw that is still 60% of the users on the

Internet....a fact often lost on web page designers.

TMT

DoN. Nichols

In article . net,
RoyJ wrote:
Yep. I have some arguments with web designers on occasion. Fat pictures,
using the very latest version of Flash or other graphics, and non
support of anything except the latest version of Microsoft are high on
my list of complaints.

Even developed using (Microsoft) tools which take advantage of
ways in which Microsoft browsers will tolerate non-standards-compliant
code which breaks other (standards-compliant) browsers, so *only*
Microsoft browsers will work on the site.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Too_Many_Tools

I can understand compatibility issues arising (not that is an
justifable excuse) but the issue that really bugs me is the amount of
bandwidth that some sites expect. In this country, we have a very real
problem in upgrading infrasturcture in the "last mile" to levels beyond
dialup speeds. This inertia to providing adequate bandwidth to the
majority of users will be with us for decades to come. The last numbers
I saw indicated that well over 60% of Web users still use dialup for
their connections and it is their only viable option. When I see web
sites (especially commercial websites supposely trying to reach
potential customers) implementing techniques that are bandwidth
intensive for the most trival reason, I just shake my head in disgust
and click to the next site. Simply put, all the resources and time they
spent trying to use the Internet as a marketing tool has been wasted.
If this is an indication of their overall customer efforts, these
companies are making it easy for others to gain their market share.

TMT

Wild Bill

I'm in agreement about commercial marketing habits, they're really bad at
way too many sites.
For many years, there has been an effort to make these issues simpler/more
universal.
http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/

The first time that I was aware of it was when I first started viewing the
Repair FAQ by Sam Goldwasser.

WB

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Randy Replogle

On 29 Jun 2005 20:59:16 -0700, "Bob AZ" wrote:

How does one use the "drop box". I need to identify some chisels. Or at
least I think they are chisels. For a wood lathe. I wold post this on
the wood working but there is more smarts here.
Bob AZ

Suggestions for those who use the dropbox:

Please write a full description of the photos. Include your name and
email address. Maybe cite the thread which discusses the photos.

Wthout these things the photos can be meaningless.

Randy

Too_Many_Tools

Excellent suggestion...without documentation most photos mean nothing.

Ever find an old family photo and wonder who the heck those people are?

I especially like citing the thread idea...contact information changes
but Usenet is the closest thing we have to archiving data that other
can access years later. I find myself reading threads many years old
for information. One of THE reasons why people should allow their
comments to remain....a fragmented discussion thread does no one any
good.

TMT