Ken Davey

Default 6061 T6

How hot can this material get before the 'temper' gets messed up?
I am thinking of using 'super glue' for some fixturing and as the glue needs
some 500 degrees F. to release will this alter the temper?

Regards.
Ken.

--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

footy

Well, 6061 is tempered to T6 condition by heating it to about 990
degrees F to get a supersaturated solution, rapidly quenching to keep
the alloys in this supersaturated solution as the metal solidifies, and
then reheating to around 320 degrees F for a certain time to precipitate
out some out the alloy to get the desired mechanical properties. The
later process is referred to as artificial aging. So, you would further
artificially age the material. As you age 6061, it will get harder and
stronger. However, if you overage it, it will start to get softer and
weaker. Aging is dependent on time and temperature. My guess is the
time required required to get the superglue to release won't have much
effect on the part, maybe make it a little harder and stronger.
Ken Davey

footy wrote:
Well, 6061 is tempered to T6 condition by heating it to about 990
degrees F to get a supersaturated solution, rapidly quenching to keep
the alloys in this supersaturated solution as the metal solidifies,
and then reheating to around 320 degrees F for a certain time to
precipitate out some out the alloy to get the desired mechanical
properties. The later process is referred to as artificial aging. So, you
would further artificially age the material. As you age
6061, it will get harder and stronger. However, if you overage it,
it will start to get softer and weaker. Aging is dependent on time
and temperature. My guess is the time required required to get the
superglue to release won't have much effect on the part, maybe make
it a little harder and stronger.

Sounds like a theory I can live with.
Thanks.

Ken.

RoyJ

6061-T6 has a temp/time/strength curve that is fine at 500 degrees,
really drops into the basement at 700 degrees. It will drop to 15% of
original strength if you exceed the temps.

There is a 1700 page government .pdf "Aerospace Materials Handbook" that
shows all the tables. don't have the download address off hand.

Ken Davey wrote:
How hot can this material get before the 'temper' gets messed up?
I am thinking of using 'super glue' for some fixturing and as the
glue needs some 500 degrees F. to release will this alter the temper?

Something to consider Ken is the size of the part that you are looking
to fixture. If the adhesive needs 500F to begin to release, you are
going to have to input a considerable amount of heat into the part. You
may find that you have to really heat the part a lot longer than you
want to so that the glue will begining to let go.

Craig C.

Ken Davey

Thanks very much for your research and advice Roy.
I abandoned the 'super glue' route in favour of some creative clamping.
Job is done and all is right in my world.

Regards.
Ken.

RoyJ wrote:
If it goes all the way through it's annealing change, it gets real
gummy to machine. It would be real tough to get threads to look nice.

The offical title of the reference book I use is
"METALLIC MATERIALS AND ELEMENTS FOR
AEROSPACE VEHICLE STRUCTURES" MIL-HDBK-5J

For 6061-T6, Page 3-275 (page 577 of the .pdf version) shows that 1/2
hour at 500 degrees drops yield to 40% of orginal, 1/2 hour at 550
drops it 30%, and 1/2 hour at 600 to 20% Pretty ugly!

Ken Davey wrote:

wrote:

Ken Davey wrote:

How hot can this material get before the 'temper' gets messed up?
I am thinking of using 'super glue' for some fixturing and as the
glue needs some 500 degrees F. to release will this alter the
temper?

Something to consider Ken is the size of the part that you are
looking to fixture. If the adhesive needs 500F to begin to release, you
are
going to have to input a considerable amount of heat into the part.
You may find that you have to really heat the part a lot longer than
you want to so that the glue will begining to let go.

Craig C.

The part is about 2 cubic inches - it isn't critical. Failure will
not put anyone/thing at risk.
A change in tempering could possibly cause problems in subsequent
machining operations.

Ken.

RoyJ

This came up a few months back when I got asked about a process oven
using some 6061-T6 carrier plates for the product. they had been having
warpage issues when using it at 600 degrees F. but now they wanted to go
to 675. I researched it and was very surprised to see the huge strength
issues coming in a what I considered to be a fairly low temperature.