Default Repeatability of Mill Quill DRO (Digital Scale)

I got my Quill DRO installed today and am having a repeatability
problem. Sometimes the scale will stop at -.003" instead of zeroing
out. The repeatability of the scale is said to be .01mm or .0004
inches. I find that hard to believe and figured .001" at best as this
is an import unit. This may me more of a quill problem than the scale.
All in all it is a nice unit for $75. Any suggestion are greatly
appreciated on the repeatability issue. Thanks, Steve

larry g

I would like to know how your doing your test? What is your setup for the
stop and how are you determining that you are at the stop? In my minds eye
I would see you doing this with a DTI chucked in the spindle and indicating
on a fixed point, like the top of the fixed vise jaw or t he table. If you
bring the quill down to the same DTI reading does the DRO read the same?
Now overshoot the mark and approach it from the opposite direction, do you
still get consistent readings? Doing this should eliminate any flexure in
the machine and give you a better idea of what the DRO is doing. I've said
this assuming that you have been moving the quill to a hard stop by feel and
adding in some machine flexure and springback to the process.
lg
no neat sig line
ups.com...