SteveB

Default Got a nice little book today

While checking out at my local Ace Hardware, I noticed a little book that is
black and a little bigger than 3" x 5". It is called "POCKET REF" and is by
Thomas J. Glover. It was $12.98.

In it, there are zillions of facts, information, knots, formulas, weights,
welding, symbols, taps and dies, squares cubes and roots, rope, metallurgy,
conversion charts, constants, and everything from A to Z. Well, from
abrasives to wounds, abdominal.

I snatched one for personal references, and for when someone here asks a
question, and I want to appear bigger and smarter than I am in person.

It has a trig section that covers the Pythagorean theorem question posed not
long ago, along with working with triangles other than right triangles.

Absolutely tons of information for those of us whose minds are already so
full we can't keep up with our own cell phone numbers. Or car keys.

If you see one, pause and take a look. There is another that deals with
welding and metal, and I would like to find it, but I forget its name right
now. A pocket size book. If you know the name, please post it.

Steve

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:25:55 -0700, the inscrutable "SteveB"
spake:

While checking out at my local Ace Hardware, I noticed a little book that is
black and a little bigger than 3" x 5". It is called "POCKET REF" and is by
Thomas J. Glover. It was $12.98.

I bought one of those a decade ago for computer repair work. Great and
handy! Later I found the Pocket Pal from International Paper which
covered graphics and printing information.

In it, there are zillions of facts, information, knots, formulas, weights,
welding, symbols, taps and dies, squares cubes and roots, rope, metallurgy,
conversion charts, constants, and everything from A to Z. Well, from
abrasives to wounds, abdominal.

More recently, I got the first edition Handyman In-Your-Pocket, also
from Glover, from www.LeeValley.com . 768 pages going from anchors to
belts/pulleys/gears to carpentry to glue to nails to ropes to plumbing
to sheetmetal and to welding, with many things in between. Again, very
handy.

Absolutely tons of information for those of us whose minds are already so
full we can't keep up with our own cell phone numbers. Or car keys.

Yes, they're really great and can save you a whole lot of time every
time you use them. Buy 'em all. They're well worth it!

If you see one, pause and take a look. There is another that deals with
welding and metal, and I would like to find it, but I forget its name right
now. A pocket size book. If you know the name, please post it.

Was it the HIYP?

Oh, Charlie Self (one of the Wreck old timers) just released his
woodworking version of these reference books, complete with spiral
binding for flat use. It's yet another good $10 investment.
http://tinyurl.com/bzuw9

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
Gunner

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:25:55 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

While checking out at my local Ace Hardware, I noticed a little book that is
black and a little bigger than 3" x 5". It is called "POCKET REF" and is by
Thomas J. Glover. It was $12.98.

Harbor Freight sells it for $9.95. Its handy as hell and a lot smaller
than Machinerys Handbook G

[...]

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
SteveB

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Hope you got the 3rd edition .. it's just now out. - GWE

Didn't notice when I bought it, but yep, it is third edition. This is going
to make good bathroom reading.

STeve

Brian Lawson

Hey Gunner,

I'm on a Third Edition. Keeping all three. I saw these for sale in
Detroit at HF too, but they were not the latest edition. Not that you
would miss a whole lot if you didn't know, but they are a bit behind
there, so maybe that's why the $ difference.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario,.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

wrote:

[...]

Wild Bill

There have been numerous versions of the Pocket Reference type books, and
all of 'em contain such an extensive amount of info, that they're just too
good to pass up if you have an interest in their particular contents.

They're a lot like having an Audel's series worth of info in a pocket-sized
book.

I've seen, and have a few titles, for electronics, the NEC/wiring info,
Computers, Construction/carpentry and many other topics.

WB

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Gunner

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:34:02 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

Hey Gunner,

I'm on a Third Edition. Keeping all three. I saw these for sale in
Detroit at HF too, but they were not the latest edition. Not that you
would miss a whole lot if you didn't know, but they are a bit behind
there, so maybe that's why the $ difference.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario,.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

Ill check the next time Im in. Best as I can recall, mine is a 3 also.
Ill check tommorow.

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

lionslair at consolidated dot net

wrote:

[...]

I got a 2 myself.

IIRC MSCdirect had it in a sales catalog.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Mines a 2.

Gunner, who has most of the Audels though G
"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

carl mciver

I got one of those back in 1993 and loved it. I also have the "Handyman
In Your Pocket" edition which is thicker and has even more gobs of stuff,
but isn't the pocket ref plus some. The pocket ref has some metalworking
stuff the handyman doesn't, but the handyman has a brief welding section,
however.

"SteveB" wrote in message
| While checking out at my local Ace Hardware, I noticed a little book that
is
| black and a little bigger than 3" x 5". It is called "POCKET REF" and is
by
| Thomas J. Glover. It was $12.98.
SNIP

DeepDiver

SteveB wrote:

While checking out at my local Ace Hardware, I noticed a little book that
is black and a little bigger than 3" x 5". It is called "POCKET REF" and
is by Thomas J. Glover. It was $12.98.

Hope you got the 3rd edition .. it's just now out. - GWE

Actually Grant, I bought my Third Edition of Pocket Ref over a year ago.
Looking inside, it says:

"Copyright 1989-2002 by Thomas J Glover
3rd Edition 7th Printing - August 2003"

So the 3rd Edition was actually published in 2002 (and my 7th printing of
the 3rd Edition was printed in August of 2003).

- Michael