kthr33

Default 40S?

We have just received an RFQ for some externally threaded parts
requiring 5/8"-11UNC, 40S. Any ideas of what the "40S" spec may mean?
It would be nice to have some background on this spec before I call
them to discuss this project. All ideas and comments will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks, K.

Tim Wescott

kthr33 wrote:

We have just received an RFQ for some externally threaded parts
requiring 5/8"-11UNC, 40S. Any ideas of what the "40S" spec may mean?
It would be nice to have some background on this spec before I call
them to discuss this project. All ideas and comments will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks, K.

I believe it's an old designation for some kind of stainless, but I
don't know much. Matweb.com comes up with various things including
kinds of rubber and a tungsten-infiltrated silver contact material:
http://www.matweb.com/search/Specifi...bassnum=NCMW44.

If someone who knows more than me doesn't respond I'd give them a quick
call and ask what the heck they mean. It'll expose your ignorance, but
I've found that doing so isn't always as bad as it seems, particularly
if you can spin your response to make it sound like you just weren't
familiar with some terminology quirk. It'll certainly be better than
losing a customer because you were afraid to say anything.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
kthr33

Thank You Tim. Yes, I will be calling them shortly. Fear of exposing my
ignorance has never slowed that part of the process. Appreciate the
help. K.