Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
JohnM

Default OT Armorgrabbing Greeks and Trojans

So I've been reading the Iliad and these guys are at least as interested
in grabbing each other's armor as they are in fighting and I'm wondering
why.

Economics? Did this armor have such value that they'd risk their lives
(and the lives of their comrades, by taking a time out in the middle of
battle) to pilfer the stuff? It doesn't seem that they're pilfering only
better armor than they have, I'm remembering little or no mention of
that except maybe Hector wearing Achilles' armor, and I think that was
just for spite.

Honor/dishonor? I can understand that, but it sure seems like a great
risk to allow the real bad ass to monkey around like that.. the more
successful a man is, the more time-outs he takes to harvest armor..

One thing for sure; if Homer only exaggerated, say, 500% then those guys
were Real Men.

John