Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Martin

Default Alignment/Measurement Question - Caster of Front Wheels

I recently replaced upper ball joints on a '96 Dodge 3500 (1-ton) van.
This vehicle uses pressed-in ball joints, and I replaced them with a
standard C-frame tool. After a few months, one of the ball joints
backed itself out (this is a poor design, IMO). I pressed it back in,
and tack-welded it in a few spots. So far, it's holding just fine.

In order to do the weld, I removed the upper A-frame. Of course, I
didn't think to mark it's position (uses no shims, just slotted bolt
holes to adjust caster/camber) until I'd already loosened the bolts and
let things shift.

I'd like to get the truck properly in alignment. If that's not
possible, at least driveably close until I buy new tires and have a
shop fine-tune it.

I think I can measure camber with a plumb bob, and toe-in's a
no-brainer, but how in the devil can I measure caster?

Also, is there an online reference where I can find the alignment specs
for my vehicle?

best regards,

Martin

Front Door Threshold Stripping Question Michael Roback Home Repair 1 February 1st 05 01:15 AM
Help on front bay window rotting out Berniez Home Repair 2 January 7th 05 08:34 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Repair 6 March 26th 04 01:23 AM
Fridge freezer - how to remove top front panel (Bosch KGV3120GB/04 UK model) Joe UK diy 2 October 22nd 03 12:31 PM