http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

363. Hall of mirrors for mice
364. Washington Monument, for mice
365. Capatult for mice
366. Corkscrew
367. Electronic metronome
368. Merry-go-round for mice
369. Capult for mice

Actually Julie, #369 is a Mouse Juicer (for making delicious
freshly-squeezed-mice drinks!)

- Michael

Matalog

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

363 Periscope
364 Bullet Calibration Thing - Ring Sizing Thing?
365 Guitar Capo
366 Corkscrew
367 Chronographic Device? - Stopwatch?
368 A Screw-in cog device.
369 High leverage pliers.

matalog.

Jonathan Wilson

366. Corkscrew
Owen Lawrence

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

363 - Periscope
358 - Ice cube tray
365 - Jar opener
366 - Cork screw
367 - Pulse monitor
368 - Ratchet wheel

Bruce Barnett

"Matalog" writes:

367 Chronographic Device? - Stopwatch?

I think it's a sensor you place on your finger, such as one measuring
the amount of oxygen in your blood, or perhaps pulse, or blood
pressure.

368 A Screw-in cog device.

It might be a crude slot cutter, or else a knob.

woodworker88

366. Closeup of corkscrew/bottle opener.
367. Clip-on Pulse Oximeter
368. Some kind of saw for a angle grinder/dremel device--don't
recognize the arbor.

R.H. wrote:
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

365: a Shubb brand "partial" capo for guitar
366: corkscrew

--

-Bo Parker
The email address in the header is fake.

R.H. wrote:
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

368 looks like the wheel for turning a can in an electric can opener

Keith Marshall

From rec.crafts.metalworking:

363 Dunno and can't wait to find out! Would have thought periscope but
that hardly seems "amazing"...

364 ?

365 Looks like a capo. The pad looks too short for a guitar so maybe for a
banjo or some special purpose for guitar.

366 Cork screw / remover

367 Pulse or O2 sensor to be placed on the finger

368 ?

369 Saw two of those at an auction Saturday but wasn't there when they
auctioned them so don't know. Looks like it's to spread something?

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

369 Cork Sizer.

TomH

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 07:37:04 GMT, "R.H."
wrote in rec.woodworking:

Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

363. Star Wars weapons guidance system, circa 1952?
364. Tire Pressure Gauge, circa 1932
366. Corkscrew, or chromium phallus from planet Zeptor
367. Pulse monitor, circa 1982
368. Catch-wheel/movement for a very primitive watch
(possibly from planet Zeptor)
369. A numerical progression of simple multiples of '3'.
Alt: a barbers' child detention device, circa 1942

--
+ TomH + antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Also: http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Another set has just been posted:

363: Periscope

364: Pressure gauge, ancestor of the pencil-type tire gauge.

365: Clamp

366: Wing-type corkscrew, derided by "Wine for Dummies"

367: Pulse monitor

368: It's a toothed wheel with a screw through it, isolated from the
head by a rubber washer. As for what it's made for... dunno

369: Crimping tool

result in a fully-depreciated one.

RAM^3

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

364. Tire Inflation Gauge

Mark and Kim Smith

R.H. wrote:

Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From Rec.woodworking

#363: Mirror? The prisms will bend light around a corner. So it would
act like a mirror?
#364: Hmm. Maybe a tool for security fasteners?
#365: ??
#366: Corkscrew
#367: Stopwatch / heart rate monitor?
#368: Dunno
#369: Dunno
Rich Grise

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 07:37:04 +0000, R.H. wrote:

Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

363 Beam splitter for home-built hologram.

Or, image inverter for watching TV in bed. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

363. One set of magic words is "split-image rangefinder".
More probably, the OP is thinking of "beam splitter".

364.

365. a *LOUSY* picture of a campo.

366. the rack and pinion section of a lever-handle cork screw.

367. finger pulse-rate monitor

368. at first glance it looks like a home-made drive gear
replacement for an electric can-opener, but it can't be that.
(the screw-head and rubber grommet would keep the can from contacting
the drive gear.)
doesn't appear to be a 'slot cutter', the 'teeth' are way too irregular
for that.
By elimination it has to be a sex aid for when a rhinoceros mates with
an elephant. "ele-phino"

369. second lousiest picture of the week.
squeezing or crimping tool of some sort
JohnM

DeepDiver wrote:
"Julie" wrote in message

R.H. wrote:

Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

363. Hall of mirrors for mice
364. Washington Monument, for mice
365. Capatult for mice
366. Corkscrew
367. Electronic metronome
368. Merry-go-round for mice
369. Capult for mice

Actually Julie, #369 is a Mouse Juicer (for making delicious
freshly-squeezed-mice drinks!)

- Michael

"Mmmm.. that's great mouse:-D"

Bruce Spainhower

"R.H." wrote in news:AGyne.12691$XA6.5255
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

363 - Hard to see the angles of the prisms, but if they're the right ones,
you can make an anamorphic projection lens with them.

Norman D. Crow

"RAM^3" wrote in message
"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

364. Tire Inflation Gauge

363 I go along with the "periscope"
364 Tire pressure gauge sounds as good as anything else.
365 Capo sounds good
366 Yup, corkscrew
367 What everyone else says
368 Damfino
369 ?? Is it supposed to be used by pulling up on the handle or pushing
down? Mounted on a board, looks like push down. Some kind of cobbler's tool?
Reminds me of a tool used for spreading battery cable terminals, but that
wouldn't be mounted like that.

--
Nahmie

Earle Jones

In article ,
Bruce Spainhower wrote:

"R.H." wrote in news:AGyne.12691$XA6.5255
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

363 - Kaleidoscope.

earle
*
Hank

369. Nut cracker.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again:

363) Various things could be made from one or more prisms. The one
which first pops into my mind is a simple periscope. (But a
better one than can be made with just mirrors.) I used to get
old tank periscope prisms, and pair them up as a kid. (I had a
nice surplus store in town, which I frequented.)

364) Hmm ... sort of looks like an old powder gauge. I think that
it is adjusted for capacity with the screw on the bottom, and it
may bayonet into place on a reloading press or somewhere nearby
using the two key slots in the larger hole.

365) A "capo" -- for holding the strings to a fret on a stringed
instrument like a guitar or a banjo, to allow changing keys
without having to retune everything -- or without having to
learn alternate fingerings to play in another key. I think that
this one must be for a banjo, as it does not appear to be wide
enough to get all of the strings on a guitar. (And even if it
is used on a 5-string banjo, it only needs to cover the first
four -- the fifth starts at a different place, and may have a
sliding equivalent for just that one string bolted to the neck.

366) A "winged" corkscrew. The gears on the sides are rotated by
pressing the wings down, and they engage the square slots in the
shaft leading to the corkscrew, pulling it up.

367) This one looks to me like a pulse rate monitor -- perhaps worn
by a walker or a jogger. It apparently has a choice of audio
output (beeps, I guess), or a readout on the display -- and an
ability to measure time as well. The spring on the back goes
around a finger, with the finger resting in the contoured
groove, and the little pair of rectangles measuring the pulse,
either by IR or electrical contacts.

368) It is either a makeshift circular saw (tiny) or a milling
cutter. I hope that there are *two* nuts on the other side, or
it will unscrew if chucked in a normal drill motor (electric
drill). And the teeth are not oriented to use one in reverse
which would tighten the nut.

That almost looks like a faucet washer under the screw head.
Could it have been to clean grunge out of an old faucet?

369) It looks as though it is for stretching chain links or perhaps
rings to crimp into farm animals for identification. It is
certainly not for crimping them, however.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:
R.H. wrote:

Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

From Rec.woodworking

#363: Mirror? The prisms will bend light around a corner. So it would
act like a mirror?

Even better -- the two in cooperation can produce an image
without the usual left-for-right reversal. Thus, you can see yourself
as others see you. (But you would need larger ones for that.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Another set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

363. Breast enhancement goggles.
364. Person confuser.
365. 3.5 inches of pure terror. In the right context, anyway.
366. "Swiss army knife" that McGuyver's alcoholic brother, Kevin, uses
to make mixed drinks out of almost anything.
367. Fingertip shift light.
368. Screw frock. The purpose is to sound dirty.
369. Toenail clipper for people with wicked foot fungus.

Posted from RCM.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Julie

DoN. Nichols wrote:
365) A "capo" -- for holding the strings to a fret on a stringed
instrument like a guitar or a banjo, to allow changing keys
without having to retune everything -- or without having to
learn alternate fingerings to play in another key. I think that
this one must be for a banjo, as it does not appear to be wide
enough to get all of the strings on a guitar.

It's not for a banjo.

--julie
Nick Müller

#363: Periscope? No.
#364: tip of a umbrella
#365: Capotasta (SP) used for guitars (tuning)
#366: Cork puller. Italian style, made in millions
#367: Sensor for heart beat rate (clamped on finger)
#368: Well, he needed a sawblade that will not cut.
So he abused a good one until it suited.
#369: Tool for widening tubes

Nick (this time I got it right with the numbers :-))
--
"Wissenschafts"-Sendung auf einem der Privat-Kanäle:
"Der Behälter fasst 200.000 Kubik-Liter."

D Murphy

#363 - Can be used to make an interferometer.

--

Dan

R.H.

All but the first have been answered correctly, I'll go ahead and give the
answer to that one also, I usually don't get very many guesses after the
first day.

Spoilers
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
363. The prisms can be used to make an optical device called a pseudoscope.
I made a separate page with more info on this one:

http://pseudoscope.blogspot.com/

364. Tire gauge

365. 3-String capo

366. Corkscrew

367. Pulse monitor

368. Saw blade

369. Nutcracker

More photos and links can be found on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan67.blogspot.com/

Rob

R.H.

369 ?? Is it supposed to be used by pulling up on the handle or pushing
down? Mounted on a board, looks like push down. Some kind of cobbler's

tool?
Reminds me of a tool used for spreading battery cable terminals, but that
wouldn't be mounted like that.

Yes, the handle is meant to push down, though the jaws don't close very much
when it is depressed, I posted a photo of it in this position on the answer
page.

Rob

Rich Grise

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 19:03:36 +0000, R.H. wrote:

368. Saw blade

I'm terribly disappointed here. The original says:
368. 1-1/2" long, thanks to Elijah for this photo, it's a tool he made for
a very specific purpose. What is it and what was it made for?

Well, yeah, OK, saw blade, albeit a pretty cruddy one, but _what
was it made FOR?_ i.e. what was that specific purpose?

Don't tease. ;-)

Thanks,
Rich

Julie

R.H. wrote:
365. 3-String capo

Minor clarification from the web site-- this isn't so much for "tuning"
the guitar as it is for reorienting the string configuration-- I guess
you could say that "tunes" the guitar, but I think of tuning the guitar
as making sure the pitches are accurate, sometimes using a tuning device.

Okay, to explain:

A guitar's standard open tuning is E A D G B E (low to high).

A standard (full-sized) capo, will cover all six of those strings to
produce a different base pitch. One such base pitch might be G C F Bb D
G -- this would be the effect of the capo on the 3rd fret.

The Shubb partial capo covers only three strings of the instrument,
which allows for open chords using the capo. I.e. if I place the
3-string capo on the 2nd fret, I can get E A E A C# E, which is an open
a-major chord.

Now, personally, even though I own one, I think the Shubb capo is not a
particularly good product. It might work well for some instruments, but
it doesn't for mine, so I actually made up a whole set of partial capos,
and use them for different purposes:

http://juliewaters.com/how.php

--julie

R.H.

_what
was it made FOR?_ i.e. what was that specific purpose?

I was going to leave this as a "cliffhanger" until next week, but if you
really want to know I guess I can spill it now. Here is the description
that Elijah provided to me:

"This is a saw for a depth controlled cut of plastic, specifically for
cutting open a "wall wart" without damaging the transformer inside. I needed
to resolder the output wires after they broke at the edge of the box. I put
this in the chuck of a drill press, turned it on, then moved the transformer
box around to cut it open along the existing seam."

R.H.

"Julie" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:
365. 3-String capo

Minor clarification from the web site-- this isn't so much for "tuning"
the guitar as it is for reorienting the string configuration...

Thanks for the follow-up.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,

#363: Mirror? The prisms will bend light around a corner. So it would
act like a mirror?

Even better -- the two in cooperation can produce an image
without the usual left-for-right reversal. Thus, you can see yourself
as others see you. (But you would need larger ones for that.)

Here's a bathroom cabinet I made recently.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/furniture/cabinets/swarf/

Note the mirrors.

Nice. You even have a partial image of you in the "jet mirror",
showing the expected reversal (as indicated by the finger pushing the
shutter release).

The "jet mirror" -- is that mounted in a ring into which turbine
blades dovetail? Ir is it a ring gear of some sort?

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
All but the first have been answered correctly, I'll go ahead and give the
answer to that one also, I usually don't get very many guesses after the
first day.

[ ... ]

363. The prisms can be used to make an optical device called a pseudoscope.
I made a separate page with more info on this one:

http://pseudoscope.blogspot.com/

Nice! And nice to see another facet of Wheatstone's interests.
(He was the inventor of the English system concertina (which is one of
my special interests), among other things.)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564