Greg Postma

Default Dipping into the knowledge Base

Yesterday, I met with a company that is prolly going to build a machine
for one of my clients. In my discussion with them, they told me how they
envisioned running the machine with a PLM,yadda,yadda yadda.....

We these guys seem very capable and I saw some of the machinery that
they are building for another client, so I have a great deal of respect
for their abilities.

After I left their shop, I realized how little I know about machine
control and I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right
direction for a primer on PLM controls, programming,etc.....

I don't want to program the machine, I just want to be able to
understand how they will build the control system and if we have a
problem with the system, be able to describe the problems to them
accurately.....

Thanks
Greg Postma
Tim Shoppa

they told me how they envisioned
running the machine with a PLM
[...]
I just want to be able to understand how
they will build the control system and if we have a
problem with the system, be able to describe
the problems to them accurately.....

I think you're talking about PLC's.

If you can get the contract to say that they'll deliver the source code
(ladder logic or whatever they use to program their PLC's) and design
documents (requirements, design, etc.), you'll be doing better than
without. They may not allow you access to these documents (out of fear
that you'll sell them to others).

It also depends on the complexity of the device. Some will be
specified and designed with a single printed page, others will require
hundreds of pages.

If your client already has PLC-controlled stuff and techs familiar with
the technology, it makes sense to ask that the same technology be used
in the new design.

Tim.