Jordan

Default thread file - 26TPI ?

Looking for a thread file that can do 26 threads per inch.

Anyone know of a supplier anywhere?

Jordan
Tom

Jordan wrote:

Looking for a thread file that can do 26 threads per inch.

Anyone know of a supplier anywhere?

Jordan

Thread file or thread restorer? Thread files tend toward being
a lot scarcer.
Sykes-Pickavant make thread restorers that any tool outfit in Oz
should carry.
The BSF & Whit #015600 has 11,12,14,16,18,22,& 26 tpi

Tom
larry g

Jordan
Have you considered going over the threads twice with a 13 TPI file? You can
also do this with a 3 sided chain saw file. Neither of the thread files I
have a 26 TPI.
lg
no neat sig line

"Jordan" wrote in message
Looking for a thread file that can do 26 threads per inch.

Anyone know of a supplier anywhere?

Jordan

Harold and Susan Vordos

"larry g" wrote in message
Jordan
Have you considered going over the threads twice with a 13 TPI file? You

can
also do this with a 3 sided chain saw file. Neither of the thread files I
have a 26 TPI.
lg
no neat sig line

Depending on the nature of the thread, that might not work. The flat on a 26
pitch thread is much smaller than one on a 13 pitch. The file could do
some serious damage to the thread form as a result, likely working near the
pitch diameter and ignoring the minor diameter.

Harold

Tom

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"larry g" wrote in message
Jordan
Have you considered going over the threads twice with a 13 TPI file? You

can
also do this with a 3 sided chain saw file. Neither of the thread files I
have a 26 TPI.
lg
no neat sig line

Depending on the nature of the thread, that might not work. The flat on a 26
pitch thread is much smaller than one on a 13 pitch. The file could do
some serious damage to the thread form as a result, likely working near the
pitch diameter and ignoring the minor diameter.

Harold

Especially as 26 tpi is 55º BSW thread form with the attendant radius
at the root.

Tom

Jordan

I'd prefer a 26TPI thread file.

Neat idea though!

Jordan

Have you considered going over the threads twice with a 13 TPI file?

Jordan

The 26TPI I want is 60 degree, known as British Standard Cycle.

The 55 deg, 26 TPI is British Standard Brass, which has a Whitworth form.

I'm not worried about the angle though - just want to improve threads to
a usable state, and I've found I can mix 55 and 60deg OK.

I bought a thread restorer recently, unbranded box so probably Asian.
Not sure if I'm using it correctly, even the required direction to turn
it (no instructions included), but I couldn't get it to work.
At over $40 Australian, no bargain.

Jordan

Tom wrote:

Especially as 26 tpi is 55º BSW thread form with the attendant radius
at the root.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Jordan" wrote in message
snip----

I bought a thread restorer recently, unbranded box so probably Asian.
Not sure if I'm using it correctly, even the required direction to turn
it (no instructions included), but I couldn't get it to work.
At over $40 Australian, no bargain.

Jordan

I'm not a fan of these things, although I have one in my tool cabinet.
If you compare them to a file, they are sure to not please you. From all
indications, they cut poorly, even those that are well made. They are
better than not having a like tool, however.

In order to use yours successfully, rotate the thread in question at a low
speed, then stroke the file (forward only) rapidly as the piece rotates. Try
to keep the orientation of the file at a right angle to the part in question
so you don't alter the form. As each tooth of the file contacts the
centerline of the part, it will remove anything that doesn't comfortably fit
the file profile. It stands to reason that this is less than perfect, but
it does restore the old profile to some degree. I've salvaged a few threads
that way, but I don't recommend the process for critical threads. The file
can also be applied to a stationary thread, assuming there is local damage,
but it's almost impossible to remove it unless the file can pilot on good
threads, removing only that portion of the damage that interferes with
thread function.

Good luck!

Harold

larry g

"larry g" wrote in message
Jordan
Have you considered going over the threads twice with a 13 TPI file? You

can
also do this with a 3 sided chain saw file. Neither of the thread files I
have a 26 TPI.
lg
no neat sig line

Depending on the nature of the thread, that might not work. The flat on a
26
pitch thread is much smaller than one on a 13 pitch. The file could do
some serious damage to the thread form as a result, likely working near
the
pitch diameter and ignoring the minor diameter.

Harold

Dang Harold there ya go with that precision thinking again. Picture this;
Its 3 am and the corn picker is busted and you've got a to have a 100 ton to
the cannery by daybreak. If you got any thread file to rework the threads
you're gonna make it work. Its all a matter of perspective. I actually went
out to the shop and tried a 10 TPI file on a 20 TPI bolt and your correct
that the flat may not be exact but it would get the damaged threads workable
again. The file teeth did not seem to fully engage the width of the thread
vee so one would have to work one side of the vee and then the other. I
believe that anyone in the position to have to use a thread file is going to
only remove the material that is in the way of the engaging threads. First
choice would probably be a die.
lg
no neat sig line

Harold and Susan Vordos

"larry g" wrote in message

"larry g" wrote in message
[...]

Chuckle! Those amongst us that are so anal really have a hard time with
these kluged up fixes! :-)

I keep thinking about the missile that failed because someone made an
inferior repair. Sigh.

Did you get the corn in on time? g

Harold