Eugene Miya

Default Bletchley Park and the Enigma

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
Cypherpunks? I would assume then that you are aware of Tim May?

Yes I have been invited to meetings.
And Ed, Tim, and I also get invited to another similar annual conference.
And various Erics (Hughes, Raymond, etc. etc.).

Leo Reed

I believe that the "purple analog" was used to decode Japanese
diplomatic messages, not the Japanese naval 25.

It was still "hit or miss" in early 1942. But, JN25 was being decrypted
enough to give us the advantage at the Battle of Midway, in June of that
year.

Leo (pearland, tx)

jitney

Then there is the school of thought (as far as I know, undocumented)
that Roosevelt and his advisors knew of the impending Japanese raid on
Pearl Harbor and just let it happen to protect the JN25 "Purple"
decode
much in the same manner as Churchill knew that Coventry was going to
be
hit and did nothing about it.

Regards,

Marv

I remember about eight years ago there was a BBC show about Pearl
Harbor and the events leading up to it that ran on the History
Channel. The conclusion was that Roosevelt, Marshall, J. Edgar Hoover,
and some others knew in advance about it. Apparently Naval
Intelligence in Honolulu was under orders to report to the White House
and bypass Kimmel and Short. The White House would then tell Kimmel
only what it wanted to hear.-Jitney
Old Nick

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:22:39 -0700, "Ken Davey"
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

Sorry. The guy is tainted. He made his bed with the Nazi thing. Now
any "history" by him has to be questionable and I would not want to
either trust or read it.

I was not aware of this connection either..
It really is not relevant in the context of the book 'Churchilll's War'. To
my recollection no reference to the 'Jewish question' enters this book. It
is a remarkably scholarly work.
Regards.
Ken.

************************************************** ****************************************
I could never _see_ myself as anything!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/
Old Nick

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:08:00 -0700, "Ken Davey"
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

It's not the anti-semitism. It's the loud denial of something that is
so bloody obvious, recent and well-documented.

_If_ I read anything by someone who had claimed what Irving claims, in
order to accept or reject anything the guy said, I wouod have to do a
lot of extra reading. Again it's not good vs evil, but sheer
plausibility.

No matter how well something _seems_ to be researched, or how many
documents are used, it is easy, especially for someone like this, so
simply present what suits and ignore what does not.

You make a valid point here.
I have not read any other work by Irving. Churchill's War seems to be a very
well researched work with extensive use of 'recently' de-classified
documents, both British and American. Many brilliant people have had the
mental defect of anti-senitism.
I guess one can only be of a critical mind and try and accept the good
while rejecting the evil.

Regards.
Ken.

************************************************** ****************************************
I could never _see_ myself as anything!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

Old Nick

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 01:52:18 GMT, Charles Morrill
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

Like I said elsewhere, failure fromn the jaws of triumph....

Alan Turing is a figure of haunting genius. I sometimes wonder if
silicon valley might have happened in England had he lived.

Turing later committed suicide. As I remember, the British
government apologized many years later.