DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   to those that made their own bandsaw mill. (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/106804-those-made-their-own-bandsaw-mill.html)

Modat22 May 20th 05 01:04 PM

to those that made their own bandsaw mill.

I was just thinking about safety shields and such. What I was
wondering is, if you break a band or it comes off your wheel all the
sudden, how much damage can one of these do to the operator? Should a
person place some sort of protection between the operator and the band
saw carriage in a manually pushed carriage design?

Blue Skies May 20th 05 01:22 PM

If you are running the machine yourself make sure to tell the wife to check
that you are still upright every half hour or so and keep a stock of blood
and ice handy.

If you have employees keep your lawyer on retainer.

Old Nick May 20th 05 03:25 PM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 12:04:46 GMT, Modat22 wrote:

I was just thinking about safety shields and such. What I was
wondering is, if you break a band or it comes off your wheel all the
sudden, how much damage can one of these do to the operator? Should a
person place some sort of protection between the operator and the band
saw carriage in a manually pushed carriage design?

Look at a normal bandsaw. Copy.

I have had a band break. Not much happened ec\xcept PING. The band had
little motorment. But if there had been no guards, it could have been
a mess. With a 1.5-2" band, it would be worse.

Ben Jackson May 21st 05 08:04 AM

On 2005-05-20, Modat22 wrote:
wondering is, if you break a band or it comes off your wheel all the
sudden, how much damage can one of these do to the operator?

I've had them come out of the *package* all of a sudden and been
damaged...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/