JB

Default Another Quincy Compressor Question?

How long should it take a 5hp, Quincy 325 2 stage pump to fill an 80 gallon
tank. I'm trying to determine if the compressor is operating efficently.

Thanks.

Joe...

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:20:17 -0400, the inscrutable "JB"
spake:

Thanks Tom. I'll time her over the weekend. I'm thinking that it's taking
longer than that :-(.

m...

"JB" wrote in message
How long should it take a 5hp, Quincy 325 2 stage pump to fill an 80
gallon tank. I'm trying to determine if the compressor is operating
efficently.

I'll let you silly top-posters figure out what order those posts and
replies go in...

Question that come to mind are "Why are you having to start from zero
PSI? What leaks which would cause that? Why don't you fix THAT? And to
what PSI are you pressurizing?"

Do the voices in my head bother you?
http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development

larry g

JB
I would think that there are some variables here that you need to give up to
the group so that an educated guesstimate at the answer can be made. Are
you filling from 0psi to whenever the switch kicks out. What pressure are
you filling to? How about you publish the time that it takes to fill the
tank from kick on pressure to the kick off pressure, and what these
pressures are. If your kicking out at near the max pressure of the pump
then its going to take a lot longer to fill that if you lower max pressure.
Max pressure is about 175psi ( I think) on a two stage and if your running
to this pressure or above its going to take a long time. Also consider that
the pressure switch may be going haywire and not shutting off reliably. If
you google this newsgroup you will find this discussion has taken place in
the last year or so.
lg
no neat sig line

"JB" wrote in message
How long should it take a 5hp, Quincy 325 2 stage pump to fill an 80
gallon tank. I'm trying to determine if the compressor is operating
efficently.

Thanks.

Joe...

Harold and Susan Vordos

"JB" wrote in message
How long should it take a 5hp, Quincy 325 2 stage pump to fill an 80

gallon
tank. I'm trying to determine if the compressor is operating efficently.

Thanks.

Joe...

Mine turns on @ 150 PSI and off @ 175 PSI. It takes 1 minute 20 seconds.
Don't have a clue how long it takes from 0 pressure, I rarely turn mine off.
I have 3 phase delta service and an identical compressor.

Harold

JB

"JB" wrote in message
How long should it take a 5hp, Quincy 325 2 stage pump to fill an 80

gallon
tank. I'm trying to determine if the compressor is operating efficently.

Thanks.

Joe...

Mine turns on @ 150 PSI and off @ 175 PSI. It takes 1 minute 20 seconds.
Don't have a clue how long it takes from 0 pressure, I rarely turn mine
off.
I have 3 phase delta service and an identical compressor.

Harold

I have been tryi ng to figure out why my compressor leaks down and will
eventually empty after about a week. I finally narrowed it down to the
pressure switch. Anyway, it is currently set to turn on at 145lb and off at
175lb. Except for the slow leak, the pressure switck works fine. It is a
square D brand. I am looking for a source to get a replacement.

Thanks afor all the help.

Joe...

Harold and Susan Vordos

"JB" wrote in message

"JB" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting that it's the pressure switch leaking, although not much of a
leak. Fittings tight? Soap might show where it's leaking. Graybar is a
Square D dealer.

Harold

Wild Bill

You might have a very small leak around the edge of the pressure switch
diaphram. See if there are screws in a circle around the section that
sandwiches the diaphram to the bottom of the case.
Just don't try to remove the screws while the tank is pressurized.

If you can snug the screws a bit, it may stop the slow leak. If it leaks
after snugging the screws, you might need a new switch, although a good
Square D product/parts distributor might be able to locate a new diaphram
for your specific switch model.

WB

"JB" wrote in message

I have been tryi ng to figure out why my compressor leaks down and will
eventually empty after about a week. I finally narrowed it down to the
pressure switch. Anyway, it is currently set to turn on at 145lb and off

at
175lb. Except for the slow leak, the pressure switck works fine. It is a
square D brand. I am looking for a source to get a replacement.

Thanks afor all the help.

Joe...

JB

Wild Bill,

Thanks for posting. I did snug up the screws around the edge of the
pressure switch diaphram. They were in fact lose and tightening them
dramatically slowed the leak. Unfortunately, it still leaks. I will
probably have to replace the switch.

Thanks again for the help.

Joe...

"JB" wrote in message

I have been tryi ng to figure out why my compressor leaks down and will
eventually empty after about a week. I finally narrowed it down to the
pressure switch. Anyway, it is currently set to turn on at 145lb and off

at
175lb. Except for the slow leak, the pressure switck works fine. It is
square D brand. I am looking for a source to get a replacement.

Thanks afor all the help.

Joe...

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
Why so much pressure?

Ask Quincy. They come that way, likely because higher pressure is used to
provide a larger supply of air (at lower pressure). These are compound
compressors with a cooler between cylinders, and what I consider to be slow
speed machines. They do not resemble the small high speed clatter boxes
that are marketed as compressors. They're serious machines.

Harold

Tom Gardner

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
Why so much pressure?

Ask Quincy. They come that way, likely because higher pressure is used to
provide a larger supply of air (at lower pressure). These are compound
compressors with a cooler between cylinders, and what I consider to be
slow
speed machines. They do not resemble the small high speed clatter boxes
that are marketed as compressors. They're serious machines.

Harold

I have 3 Q's and the are set at @125 off, @95 on. I don't need higher
pressure, it's safer and the Q's WILL last forever! Is there a cost
advantage?

JB

It came set up that way.

"JB" wrote in message

"JB" wrote in message
[...]

Need Help with Quincy Air Compressor! JB Metalworking 6 April 24th 05 04:49 PM
Quincy Compressor JB Metalworking 4 April 21st 05 12:30 AM
Quincy QT-5 Air Compressor [email protected] Metalworking 5 March 5th 05 06:06 AM
Quincy Compressor from Harbor Freight/ToolsPlus Marty Woodworking 5 June 1st 04 04:08 AM