JR North

Default Ahpha1 Shift Cable Excersizer-boating w/metal

Pics in the Dropbox
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/
See shift_ex.txt and the accociated JPGs.

Alpha 1 Shift cable Excersizer

A problem with Alpha 1 and II outdrive lower units is; with infrequent
use, the movement of the shift cable and transfer link in the lower unit
becomes stiff. This causes the shift interrupter to stall the engine
when shifting from neutral to forward or reverse, or when shifting from
either gear to neutral.
I disassembled the shift quadrant on the engine and could only manually
move the shift cable with difficulty. There was now way I could loosen
the action by manual operation.
Repair requires removal of the outdrive leg to re-lube the transfer link
bushings. If you have a couple buds or a fixture to help manhandle the
heavy, unwieldy leg, the job is fairly easy. Without these requisites,
it's a real PIA.
Having encountered the shift/stall condition(for the 3rd time) in my
Alpha 1 yet again after sitting all winter, I decided to circumvent the
disassembly of the lower unit.
I built a Shift Cable Excersizer using a used Bosch wiper motor. It
mounts to the 2 pins in the shift quadrant. This unit shifts the lower
unit back and forth through forward/neutral/reverse about once a second.
In so doing, it excersizes the whole shift system and frees-up the stiff
action. After a treatment with the Excersizer, I can now easily shift
the cable by hand.
Because the load overheats the wiper motor in 6-7 minutes of operation,
I accommodated the duty cycle by running the Excersizer from a battery
charger and switching the charger with a timer.
The unit uses an Intermatic Digital Programmable light timer model
D717C To operate the motor for a 5 minute period each hour.
Since I was unsure if the wiper motor would have sufficient torque to do
the job, I did not pay particular attention to aesthetics; just worked
out the engineering and whacked it together from odds and ends around
the shop.

JR
Dweller in the cellar
Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
JR North

Just be patient... my drive is 15 years old, and this has happened 3
times in that time frame.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Ignoramus21310 wrote:

I have a mercruiser alpha one outdrive, use it INfrequently, and this
problem never happened. Maybe some bad lube?