DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Scaling down a spot welder? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/105130-scaling-down-spot-welder.html)

Ben Jackson May 4th 05 01:40 AM

Scaling down a spot welder?

Can you use a spot welder as a power source for a smaller set of jaws that
you fabricate yourself? I'd like to get an old and/or cheap spot welder
and make jaws for it that are about the size of a pair of pliers for joining
wires together.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Jerry Martes May 4th 05 01:56 AM

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
Can you use a spot welder as a power source for a smaller set of jaws that
you fabricate yourself? I'd like to get an old and/or cheap spot welder
and make jaws for it that are about the size of a pair of pliers for
joining
wires together.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Ben

There is no doubt that you can build a mini spotwelder. I've made one
when I was in the automotive starter repair business. If the wires are
copper, it is really easy. With copper wires, you can sandwitch a small
thin sheet of silver solder between the calmped wires. The heat from the
welder current will melt solder.

Jerry