DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Purple or blue machinable wax? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/105096-purple-blue-machinable-wax.html)

[email protected] May 3rd 05 05:10 PM

Purple or blue machinable wax?

McMaster has machinable wax in blue and purple colors, their site doesn't
mention the difference between the two color types, are they different
hardness? I'm gong to be machining a pattern on my Bridgeport mill and I
guess either one would work. Any suggestions? After I get the pattern
done I'm going to use it to make several copies in resin and then use those
for a Al casting pattern on a match plate.

Thanks

--
Jack Fisher
No clever sig.

Koz May 3rd 05 07:41 PM

wrote:

McMaster has machinable wax in blue and purple colors, their site doesn't
mention the difference between the two color types, are they different
hardness? I'm gong to be machining a pattern on my Bridgeport mill and I
guess either one would work. Any suggestions? After I get the pattern
done I'm going to use it to make several copies in resin and then use those
for a Al casting pattern on a match plate.

Thanks

I don't know about the purple but the blue doesn't like small
protrusions. Little stuff sticking out has a tendency to break off in
machining. Other than that you can run full blast and whip out test fit
parts quickly.

By the way, if you re-cast it, the shrinkage rate is huge so don't
expect to recover any large blocks this way. Small blocks can be
re-cast from the chips and sawn pieces though which saves money as the
stuff is a little spendy.

Koz

[email protected] May 4th 05 04:25 PM

Thanks Alan for your reply, green wasn't available in the size and price
range I wanted so I went with the purple, I'll have it tonight, and play
with it tomorrow in the shop.

Jack