DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   PTO u joint update (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/104671-pto-u-joint-update.html)

[email protected] April 29th 05 01:16 PM

PTO u joint update

Well, I got the u joint in but two apposing cups dont seem to be in the
bore far enough below the grove the spring holders go in. Although I am
not sure. I will say when I twist it there is abolutely no give in the
joint like would be evidenced with a bad u joint.

One other thing I found is after about 3 full squirts of grease grease
started coming out from under the little rubber seals at the end of
some of the caps. is this normal?

Mike Fields April 29th 05 01:59 PM

If the caps will not go in far enough to get the clips
on and the joint is locked, I would suspect you
knocked one (or more) of the needles loose and it
is across the bottom of the cap (see my other post
on the U-Joint problem). If that is the case, you have
to get the cap back off, get the needles back in right
and press it together again.

mikey

oups.com...

[email protected] April 29th 05 02:04 PM

The joint is not locked and moves fine. The clips are on I just cant
tell if they are in the grooves or not.

DE April 29th 05 02:26 PM

On 29 Apr 2005 05:16:30 -0700, wrote:

Well, I got the u joint in but two apposing cups dont seem to be in the
bore far enough below the grove the spring holders go in. Although I am
not sure. I will say when I twist it there is abolutely no give in the
joint like would be evidenced with a bad u joint.

If new parts won't seat and they are the correct ones you most
likely have a needle between the cross and cup. It's a bit tricky to
get both cups aligned without loosing a needle the first time or two.
Three hands are best :') Are you using a vise or a press?
Extra grease will help hold the needles in place while assembly.
Take it apart and reassemble, don't run it without the clips in place.
Sometimes the yokes get bent when knocking out the old joint,
if so you need to resize things. Measure over the new cups and
check the snapring grove measurement.

One other thing I found is after about 3 full squirts of grease grease
started coming out from under the little rubber seals at the end of
some of the caps. is this normal?

The grease has to go somewhere.

DE