Eide

Default medium carbon steel pipe

Hey all,

I'm in the need for some steel pipe in normal and not normal schedule 80
sizes that can be hardened. I'm making boatbuilders caulking mallets. I've
thought about using mild steel pipe and case hardening them, but even so I
need some strange sizes:
All ID: 2 1/4, 1 7/8, 1 3/4, 1 1/2

Thanks for any help you have,
Eide

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Eide" wrote in message
Hey all,

I'm in the need for some steel pipe in normal and not normal schedule 80
sizes that can be hardened. I'm making boatbuilders caulking mallets. I've
thought about using mild steel pipe and case hardening them, but even so I
need some strange sizes:
All ID: 2 1/4, 1 7/8, 1 3/4, 1 1/2

Thanks for any help you have,
Eide

You aren't looking for pipe, you're looking for tubing. Tubing is available
in a multitude of wall thicknesses and outside diameters, so you should be
able to find what you're looking for, made of 4130, which is readily heat
treatable. Check in your yellow pages to see if you have such a supplier
locally. Keystone Marmon is one of them, but there are others, including
Jorgensen.

Harold

RoyJ

When you go shopping keep in mind that tubing is spec'ed by OD and wall.
OD is typically some relatively even fractional inch sizes, wall will be
in the decimal equivilent of the old gauge system. Wall thicker than
..125" will be spec'ed in inches.

So some 1" 16ga tube will be spec'ed as 1"x.062"
Heavy wall 2" would be spec'ed something like 2"x.187 wall.

Eide wrote:

I suppose it should be easier to find if I know what it's called! BG
Thanks Harold.

You aren't looking for pipe, you're looking for tubing. Tubing is
available
in a multitude of wall thicknesses and outside diameters, so you should be
able to find what you're looking for, made of 4130, which is readily heat
treatable. Check in your yellow pages to see if you have such a
supplier
locally. Keystone Marmon is one of them, but there are others, including
Jorgensen.

Harold

Tim Williams

Hmm, I once had this chain-link fence post (the pipe that runs across the
top) that was nasty stuff. Some pieces I was working needed a flattened
end, so I got out the forge and smashed 'em down. In a hurry I quenched
them in water. After dulling a drill bit or two I spark tested and lo and
behold, these are something around 1050-1060! Probably "A36"...

Or rebar, but that isn't hollow. I haven't been following your thread and
don't know why you need hollow stock. And....fence pipe is SCH40, not the
80 you say you need. So .. I'll sit down now...

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

"Eide" wrote in message
Hey all,

I'm in the need for some steel pipe in normal and not normal schedule 80
sizes that can be hardened. I'm making boatbuilders caulking mallets. I've
thought about using mild steel pipe and case hardening them, but even so I
need some strange sizes:
All ID: 2 1/4, 1 7/8, 1 3/4, 1 1/2

Thanks for any help you have,
Eide

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Eide" wrote in message
I suppose it should be easier to find if I know what it's called! BG
Thanks Harold.

My pleasure!

Harold