Leon Heller

Default DIY coffins

Woodwork, not metalwork, but interesting:

http://www.eco-coffins.com/

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Larry Green

Woodwork, not metalwork, but interesting:

http://www.eco-coffins.com/

Leon

Damn good idea IMHO! Maybe I had better start work on mine, I could
always use it as a tool chest until I need to wear it ;-).

--
Larry Green
Proctologically Violated©®

Yeah, and dig-yer-own-grave, for perfect abs, fitness, and health! Save on
club memberships.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Larry Green" wrote in message

Woodwork, not metalwork, but interesting:

http://www.eco-coffins.com/

Leon

Damn good idea IMHO! Maybe I had better start work on mine, I could always
use it as a tool chest until I need to wear it ;-).

--
Larry Green

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 17:50:45 -0400, the inscrutable Larry Green
spake:

Woodwork, not metalwork, but interesting:

http://www.eco-coffins.com/

Leon

Damn good idea IMHO! Maybe I had better start work on mine, I could
always use it as a tool chest until I need to wear it ;-).

And by then it'd have that lovely, familiar, machine-oil smell!

They have some conflicting info there, though. "No plastics or
metals", but they have you glue it together and hold it with
screws. Most wood glues are plastic- or animal-based.

--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL
-----------------------
DeepDiver

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 17:50:45 -0400, the inscrutable Larry Green
spake:

They have some conflicting info there, though. "No plastics or
metals", but they have you glue it together and hold it with
screws. Most wood glues are plastic- or animal-based.

They claim they use biodegradable, non-toxic wood glue. They do not claim
the coffin to be Vegan so the glue might very-well be animal-based. (Do I
smell a niche market opening up: caskets made with starch-based glue?
Hmmm...)

You're partially correct about the misstatement on metals. They claim: "No
plastic or metal whatsoever is used in the manufacturing process or left in
the assembled product"

Actually, metal screws are used in the manufacturing process (they are used
to hold the coffin together while the glues sets). But they instruct you to
(optionally) remove the screws after the glue has dried (presumably, for
those who really want a metal-free casket).

But since when is metal not natural nor biodegradable? I say: "Earth to
Earth, Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust, Metal to Rust." (It even rhymes off the
tongue!)

- Michael

Jeff Wisnia

DeepDiver wrote:

[...]

IIRC if one is intent of following strict Jewish tradition, a "Kosher
Casket" has to be all wood, no metal. The one we buried my mom in was
made that way, I had a look at it and there were some wood dowels
holding the joints together. It also had some holes about 3" diameter
bored right through the bottom. That's to allow moisture to enter and
speed the return of the corpse to the earth.

Here is an interesting wooden casket I just Googled up. Click on
"Assembly" at the bottom of the page to see how it goes together with no
fasteners or glue, sort of like a wooden puzzle, 'eh?

http://www.arkwoodcaskets.com/

I think my persona is better suited to departing in this casket:

http://funeraldepot.com/returntosender.htm

And, I'd like the back side of my tombstone to have these two short
words carved into it:

HA
HA

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:08:38 -0400, the inscrutable Jeff Wisnia
spake:

DeepDiver wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 17:50:45 -0400, the inscrutable Larry Green
spake:

They have some conflicting info there, though. "No plastics or
metals", but they have you glue it together and hold it with
screws. Most wood glues are plastic- or animal-based.

They claim they use biodegradable, non-toxic wood glue. They do not claim
the coffin to be Vegan so the glue might very-well be animal-based. (Do I
smell a niche market opening up: caskets made with starch-based glue?
Hmmm...)

I don't even want to KNOW anyone that anal.

You're partially correct about the misstatement on metals. They claim: "No
plastic or metal whatsoever is used in the manufacturing process or left in
the assembled product"

Actually, metal screws are used in the manufacturing process (they are used
to hold the coffin together while the glues sets). But they instruct you to
(optionally) remove the screws after the glue has dried (presumably, for
those who really want a metal-free casket).

But since when is metal not natural nor biodegradable? I say: "Earth to
Earth, Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust, Metal to Rust." (It even rhymes off the
tongue!)

Good'un.

IIRC if one is intent of following strict Jewish tradition, a "Kosher
Casket" has to be all wood, no metal. The one we buried my mom in was
made that way, I had a look at it and there were some wood dowels
holding the joints together. It also had some holes about 3" diameter
bored right through the bottom. That's to allow moisture to enter and
speed the return of the corpse to the earth.

I thought "Kosher" meant "all beef". bseg

Here is an interesting wooden casket I just Googled up. Click on
"Assembly" at the bottom of the page to see how it goes together with no
fasteners or glue, sort of like a wooden puzzle, 'eh?

http://www.arkwoodcaskets.com/

Classy joinery: all sliding dovetails. I -like- it!

I think my persona is better suited to departing in this casket:

http://funeraldepot.com/returntosender.htm

Red and blue stripes on a brown paper bag casket? Tres gauche.

And, I'd like the back side of my tombstone to have these two short
words carved into it:

HA
HA

What about the front?

For my end, have a nice Irish wake, then burn me and toss my ashes
into the sea to feed the fishies. (I know, I'd no longer be of any
food value. Instead, I'm donating my body to science fiction.)

--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL
-----------------------
Ken Davey

The one the pope was put in - that is the one that is going to sell big
time!!

Ken (plant me not)

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Ken Moffett

"Leon Heller" wrote in news:42583aea$0$292
:

Woodwork, not metalwork, but interesting:

http://www.eco-coffins.com/

Leon

At one time in the recent past Rockler Woodworking had all the hardware to
make a casket in their catalog. I didn't see in the last few catalogs. They
must have gotten some PC complaints.
Old Nick

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:58:37 GMT, Ken Moffett
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

So whatever happened to the good ol "pine box" anyway? G

"Leon Heller" wrote in news:42583aea$0$292
:

Woodwork, not metalwork, but interesting:

http://www.eco-coffins.com/

Leon

At one time in the recent past Rockler Woodworking had all the hardware to
make a casket in their catalog. I didn't see in the last few catalogs. They
must have gotten some PC complaints.

************************************************** ****************************************
WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

Old Nick

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:58:37 GMT, Ken Moffett
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

"Leon Heller" wrote in news:42583aea$0$292
:

Woodwork, not metalwork, but interesting:

http://www.eco-coffins.com/

They ARE the good ol Pine Box!
************************************************** ****************************************
WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/
Too_Many_Tools

I think you are right.

I thought there were three different ones they used.

The metal one used was made of zinc...why?

TMT

Theory has it the undertakers have the largest and most organized
political lobbies that has no real opposition. Things like underground
vaults that prevent seepage to prevent hepatitis in ground water go
unopposed. More complicated means more money.

BUT, there was an article in mother earth news on building your own
casket and having a natural funeral.

Old Nick wrote:
On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:58:37 GMT, Ken Moffett
wrote something
......and in reply I say!:

So whatever happened to the good ol "pine box" anyway? G

"Leon Heller" wrote in news:42583aea$0$292

Ben Jackson

On 2005-04-09, Leon Heller wrote:

http://www.eco-coffins.com/

Thank goodness! I was just about to buy an IKEA cof-n, this will be much
nicer.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Martin Whybrow

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think you are right.

I thought there were three different ones they used.

The metal one used was made of zinc...why?

TMT

Presumably the eco lobby has outlawed lead ones.
Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

Too_Many_Tools

Okay, that makes sense.

I was surprised at the use of zinc...I would have expected something
like lead.

FYI...over in rec.woodworking they are also discussing the Pope's
coffin with a Terri S. side rant.

TMT

Tim Williams

"Tony" wrote in message
Hey, does Harbor Freight carry coffins?

Y'sure you'd want to go to your afterlife in a box made by them? Might
break when you're halfway there and well... :-p

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Gunner

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:47:17 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Tony" wrote in message
Hey, does Harbor Freight carry coffins?

Y'sure you'd want to go to your afterlife in a box made by them? Might
break when you're halfway there and well... :-p

Tim

Im reminded of a funeral I attended in the early 70s, where a friends
rather obese mom passed.

As the pall bearers were carrying her down the steps to the hearse,
for the last ride to the marble orchard..the bottom came out of the
coffin.

Mom beat the pall bearers to the hearse by a significant amount of
time.

thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa (snip more thumps..about 25 stairs)
Crash.

She didnt seem to mind much, but the litigation went on for a few
years.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:59:00 -0400, the inscrutable "Tony"
spake:

"Leon Heller" wrote in message
Woodwork, not metalwork, but interesting:

http://www.eco-coffins.com/

--top posting corrected--

Hey, does Harbor Freight carry coffins?

No, but they have this nifty DIY cremation kit:

----------------------------------
VIRTUE...is its own punishment
http://www.diversify.com Website Applications

Charles Spitzer

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:59:00 -0400, the inscrutable "Tony"
spake:

"Leon Heller" wrote in message
Woodwork, not metalwork, but interesting:

http://www.eco-coffins.com/

--top posting corrected--

Hey, does Harbor Freight carry coffins?

No, but they have this nifty DIY cremation kit:

how about this kiln? long enough for wilt:
http://www.brottworks.com/consult3.html

Wooden Coffins Gerald Ross Woodworking 3 March 12th 05 03:45 PM
Evaporative cooler question SteveB Home Repair 105 February 1st 05 01:06 PM
Dead Leprechaun Coffins [email protected] Woodworking 1 December 22nd 04 07:16 AM