Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
DeepDiver

Default Need Help Evaluating Chinese Kurt-Style Milling Vises

I need a 6" Chinese Kurt-style milling vise (I can't afford a real Kurt
right now: even decent used ones sell high on Ebay).

It seems that there are at least two different Chinese designs (probably
quite a few more) for these vises. Without being able to physically examine
each in advance, I was wondering if any of you have one or both of the two
that I'm looking at, and could give me some feedback.

Even if you don't have one of these vises, I'd welcome any comments or
observations as to which one you think might be better:

(On the second one, scroll down to the bottom of the page for a larger
picture.)

Besides cosmetics (different paint job between the two, and the chromed
handle on the second vise), there are several other differences I can see:

1. The first mill's mounting "ears" have open slots for the bolts to secure
the vise to the swivel base (or directly to the milling table); the second
vise's mounting "ears" have bolt holes.

2. The second vise has an oil port for the screw shaft bushing/bearing; the
first vise does not appear to have an oil port.

I realize that's not much to go on, but those are the only differences I can
see in the photos.

I've seen quite a few Ebay sellers auctioning the second style of vise, but
the first one ("Clark" brand) is new to me. I don't know if the "Clark" name
is more reputable or if they demand a higher quality control on their
Chinese tooling.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael